This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Favorite gluten-free (and Df) Cookbook?

jayhawkmom

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I have 3 children, 2 of which are gluten-free - as am I.

We are still very new to this....but I'm getting VERY tired of eating the same old "safe" things.

I'm looking for a recommendation of a child friendly gluten-free cookbook. Diary free is a must for my daughter and younger son. But, I can always SUB soy for regular milk. =)

Thank you in advance!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

No one has any cookbook recommendations??? :blink:

Cheri A Contributor

My favorites are the Incredible Edible Gluten Free Food For Kids by Sheri L. Sanderson.

I also rented from the library Cooking Free by Carol Fenster. I will probably buy this one too!

jerseyangel Proficient

Cheri beat me to it! I was going to give you this link--people really seem to love this cookbook!

Open Original Shared Link

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Thank you, thank you!!! =)

I appreciate it!!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Gluten-Free Baking Classics by Annalise Roberts has some marvelous bread recipes--you can have REAL sandwiches again--and they taste good, not like hockey pucks! The cookie recipes are fantastic, too!

eKatherine Rookie
Cheri beat me to it! I was going to give you this link--people really seem to love this cookbook!

Open Original Shared Link

I'm looking for a gluten-free dairy-free cookbook, too, but Incredible Edible Gluten Free Food For Kids must have dairy in almost every recipe.

Milk=90 pages

Cream=50 pages

Cheese=66 pages

Butter=86 pages

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jayhawkmom Enthusiast
Milk=90 pages

Cream=50 pages

Cheese=66 pages

Butter=86 pages

Oye! Can subs be used? Like... soy milk, soy cheese, and "fake" butter? Probably not, huh??

Geepers. I hadn't even THOUGHT of butter and cheese. Geez.

eKatherine Rookie
Oye! Can subs be used? Like... soy milk, soy cheese, and "fake" butter? Probably not, huh??

Often you can substitute coconut oil (I buy LouAna brand at Walmart) for butter in cooking and baking. Olive oil is good for cooking, but not generally for baking. You can usually substitute non-dairy "milks" for cow's milk. I haven't bought any Vance's Dari-free yet, but I've got it on my long list.

There's really no substitute for cheese that doesn't contain dairy or soy. I recommend trying a little goat cheese when you feel safe. It worked for me and some other people, and it might or not work for you.

Considering that nobody seems to have come up with a gluten-free dairy-free cookbook, maybe I should write one. As long as so many people are sensitive to soy and corn, I could probably exclude those, too. If anybody has any suggestions, just post, PM, or email me.

jerseyangel Proficient

Cheese is a tough one, I have to leave it out or avoid recipes that depend on it.

I substitute Spectrum Organic Shortening in baking and olive oil in cooking for butter.

For milk, I substitute Vance's Dari Free. Since it's a powder that you mix with water, you have the option to use it dry, mix it thick like cream or thinner like milk.

I always have to alter recipes, no matter where I find them because I have so many food intolerances. I just suggested this book because I'd heard good things about it--I guess I forget that I automaticaly substitute, and haven't been able to follow a real recipe for a while now.

fullofhope Newbie

the AiA Gluten and Dairy Free Cookbook is a great one! Special Diets for Special Kids is good, too. Both have very useful, yummy recipes and esp the first one I listed has a great list of substitutes to use. I've found good info from mamas dealing with the gluten free/casein free diet for kids with autism, which also works for my silly yak with a dairy allergy. :P

Cheri A Contributor

I have found that cookbook is pretty easy to adapt. For milk, I either use the Vances, water or chicken broth depending on the recipe. For butter, I use olive oil or spectrum shortening.

Shiba Newbie

there's a wonderful cookbook called 'Friendly Food' that has recipes for gluten-free, dairy free etc. I've used a lot of recipes in it, and they are good:-)

Matilda Enthusiast

Luvs to Scrap Apprentice
If you want to make bread Betty Hagman's gluten-free Gourmet Bakes Bread is still the best I think, because there are so many whatever-free alterntives, and there's so much advice about how to substitute.

The 4 Flour Bread mix at the beginning of that cookbook works dairy free. I tried it when I was baking bread for a friend who was trying the gluten-free/CF diet for her son. I would recommend all of Bette Hagman's cookbooks if you could check them out of the library interlibrary loan. (I know the Comfort foods one is available in KS interlibrary loan because I borrowed it before I bought it) All of her cookbooks have lots of options in the recipes to deal with different allergies including dairy. Her cookbooks have been a lifesaver for me since my DH and now DS are on the gluten-free diet. :) Kendra

Archived