This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm So Hungry....

Guest ~jules~

Guest ~jules~

After you were diagnosed and began your diet, were you super hungry all the time? I am always hungry, I just started this on the 19th of august. Before I got really ill I was at a healthy weight for my frame, when I got sick I dropped 15 lbs. in one summer. I don't mind gaining the weight back at all cuz, I think I look sick thin. I'm just worried that at this rate of hunger I'm at now I could balloon! Did anyone else go through this psycho hunger I'm experiencing? Thanks! Julie (aka ravenous beast) :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2kids4me Contributor

My experience with hunger is related to diabetes - as in I am still hungry but cant have any more without risking hyperglycemia....but if popcorn or chips are involved I have been know to give a little extra insulin :D

When I am feeling hungry, and shouldn't eat, I have tea with lemon juice or a cold glass of water with a teaspoon of lemon juice. It worlks for me in terms of losng the craving for food. Or I stick to low carb veges - celery, tomatoes or even a fruit like a small apple ( has carbs but not many).

I would think its very normal - your guts are healing and are absorbing more nutrients - your body is hungry for all it has been missing :)

When both kids were first on the gluten-free diet - their appetite went up for awhile - I figured it was because now they could eat without feeling crappy and they were enjoying food more.

LOL I just had to fix a spelling error - what I noticed after posting:

( has crabs but not many ) :lol::lol::lol:

Chrisser Explorer

I've been gluten-free for almost 6 weeks now, and only a couple of weeks ago did I start getting incredibly hungry. I seriously eat like 8-9 times a day...and we're talking almost full meals (like a steak, baked potato, and sometimes a side veggie). It's ridiculous. About a week and a half ago I went to Sam's and spent $100 on meat, and I went back this past weekend for more. Sometimes I feel so hungry that I feel nauseas and sick and like "I HAVE TO EAT NOW" or I'll pass out. It's driving me crazy! I can't just snack or graze...when I eat, I have to EAT.

Kaycee Collaborator

Fortunately I am the opposite.

Before diagnosis, not too long ago, I was always ravenously hungry.

But now thankfully, as I can do without weight gain, I am not as hungry.

The worst thing for me would've been to have put on weight again, and then I would've not been able to stop. Weight is a problem for me to say the least.

Cathy

lovegrov Collaborator

Many people who go gluten-free and start healing become ravenously hungry. Your body is craving the calories and nutrients it hasn't been getting.

richard

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Hmm, well, I've always been a hungry person, not really noticed much change since going gluten-free, except that now I crave things I can't have...lol

In high school, my friends called me "the girl who eats everything" cuz I was always hungry, always eating, and never gained anything...ah, to be back in those higher metabolism days again...

CarlaB Enthusiast

I was always hungry. If we ate out, I'd come home and make myself another meal. Whenever we'd get done cleaning the kitchen after one meal, I'd start making a snack. All I did was eat! I lost 15 pounds when I was sick, too, but only gained 10 back (now it's down to 7 as I've lost three again). I think Richard is right, you are finally getting some nutrients out of your food. I still eat a lot, probably more than my husband who's a lot bigger than I am, but it's nothing like before. I'm down to four to six feedings per day!!

One thing I've done is to never eat any garbage whatsoever. Since my body is craving nutrients, it's going to be hungry until it gets them. I think when you eat junk food, you will get hungry sooner because you didn't get the nutrients. In the beginning, I intentionally ate Ruffles after a meal and in between meals so I would gain weight. Now, it's healthy food only, I just wasn't feeling good. I've lost a couple pounds again, but I'm finally starting to feel better (still got a long way to go!).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dionnek Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm always hungry and always eating (everyone I work with comments about how I always seem to be eating) :lol:

I've only been gluten-free for 3 1/2 months and at first I thought it was just b/c I wasn't eating bread anymore, which fills you up more, but now I'm not so sure. Wondering if I'll ever get back to a "normal" appetite (i.e., 4-5 meals per day instead of 7-9!).

wacky~jackie Rookie

Could trace amounts of gluten cause this hungry sensation?? I had it continually when I first cut out gluten. At the time I didn't know that Quaker rice cakes can be CC and was eating them at almost every meal. I was starving all the time. Since I have cut out those rice cakes the hunger has gone away (except when I haven't eaten in awhile - of course). Does anyone know or has anyone else had this same situation?

Guest ~jules~

I've been eating rice cakes on and off since I started, I haven't had a problem with them, that I know of.

CarlaB Enthusiast
I've been eating rice cakes on and off since I started, I haven't had a problem with them, that I know of.

Just be sure you're not eating Quaker rice cakes, they're contaminated.

ÆON Newbie

Before I went gluten free I felt like I was starving all the time. I couldn't figure why I wasn't gaining a bunch of weight.

I was craving sugar all the time, too.

Now that I've given the bad stuff (gluten) up, I'm hardly ever hungry by comparison.

aikiducky Apprentice

I was constantly hungry for a while after going gluten free, well, before that, too. I've been gluten free for almost two years now and my appetite is more normal than it ever was really. :D I eat 3-4 times a day.

When I first went gluten free I decided to allow myself to eat enough to feel satisfied, but I did try to stick to good stuff to get as much nutrients as possible. I didn't worry about calories at all, but I've still lost 10kg in the two years I've been gluten free. Which is a good thing in my case!

Pauliina

Chrisser Explorer
I was constantly hungry for a while after going gluten free, well, before that, too. I've been gluten free for almost two years now and my appetite is more normal than it ever was really. :D I eat 3-4 times a day.

When did you start eating more "normally?" Having to eat like 9 meals a day is so frustrating!

Mayflowers Contributor

I haven't read any posts saying the same thing but since I went gluten free, food....really tastes better! My taste has improved like when you quit smoking..ya know? Maybe that has something to do with eating more. I've noticed I'm hungrier too and I can't afford to gain weight. I'm one of those who gained weight ..about 40 pounds worth. Personally I think it's the rice that's increasing insulin in the blood and causing cravings.

aikiducky Apprentice

It was a gradual change so I'm not sure, but I think by one and a half years into the diet I was consistently doing ok with three four meals a day.

I know, probably not what you hoped to hear. :(:)

Pauliina

• 5 years later...
glassroseheart Newbie

I've been gluten-free for a little over 2 weeks and I'm starting to get hungry more frequently and I can eat much more when I do. Before going gluten-free, I was nauseous most of the time and could barely eat, but I was also usually hungry. My ability to eat properly is slowly coming back. I still can't eat all that much at one time yet, but it seems like I'm hungrier than I was before going gluten-free, probably because eating doesn't usually make me feel nauseous anymore. I lost 10 lbs that I couldn't afford to lose 8 years ago and just started gaining it back, though I've been trying to gain it back for the entire time.

kareng Grand Master

I've been gluten-free for a little over 2 weeks and I'm starting to get hungry more frequently and I can eat much more when I do. Before going gluten-free, I was nauseous most of the time and could barely eat, but I was also usually hungry. My ability to eat properly is slowly coming back. I still can't eat all that much at one time yet, but it seems like I'm hungrier than I was before going gluten-free, probably because eating doesn't usually make me feel nauseous anymore. I lost 10 lbs that I couldn't afford to lose 8 years ago and just started gaining it back, though I've been trying to gain it back for the entire time.

Just an FYI - The last post in this thread is 6 years old.

heather806 Rookie

I am hungry much more often since going gluten-free. I eat 6 or seven times per day. But small items like a banana or a cup of chex or some cherries or carrots. It's not a bad thing in my book to eat more often and I feel I am eating mainly healthy whole foods. I did chow down on a snickers bar at the airport the other day. (too bad milky way bars have gluten -- they used to be my fave)

Sunny600 Rookie

This is funny, because since I went gluten free about six months ago, I STOPPED being hungry all the time. It,s very pleasant to not have to find snacks all the time in the middle of the morning and afternoon.

Tilley

Free-form07 Newbie

Have you heard of secondary celiac reactions? You will often find low hydrochloric acid and fungal candida teamed up with celiac disease.

I lost twenty pounds in a month right before I found out about celiac disease. I was already very underweight. I was ravenously hungry all the time and even after going gluten free, couldn't manage to feel satiated. The food often went right through me and ended up in the toilet bowel. Gross, I know. I ended up getting on a fungal candida and detox plan by Dr. McCombs ( Which has accelerated my healing from celiac damage) and found that I had severe hydrochloric acid deficiency. This complication invites all kinds of trouble and interferes with the assimilation of much needed nutrients. You may look into supplementing with HCL. Once I did this, My starvation feelings completely disappeared.

Archived