6 replies to this topic

#1 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:49 AM

I just saw this in today's newspaper--I haven't tried it yet, so I can't vouch for how good it might be, but thought I'd post it immediately!

COCONUT PIE CRUST

Mix together 1/4 cup softened butter and 2 cups shredded coconut. Press into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake at 300 degrees or until crust is lightly browned. Cool before filling.

This is for pie fillings that do not need to be baked (would make a good substitute for graham cracker crusts). I am assuming that the sweetened shredded coconut that we can easily get at the supermarket would work just fine here.

If anyone tries it before I do, post the results here!!!!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 momandgirls

momandgirls

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:06 AM

I didn't do that exactly but I just took a bag of gluten/dairy free coconut cookies (I was in Australia at the time and know that they weren't cookies that are available in the US but any brand, I'm sure, would work fine), crushed them up and added melted dairy free butter until the whole thing stuck together, patted it into a pie pan and stuck it in the oven for about 10 minutes until it was golden brown. I used it as the crust for a banana cream pie - delicious and so easy!

#3 TinkerbellSwt

TinkerbellSwt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:17 PM

This sounds great. Might have to try it soon. I have coconut left over from ambrosia I made for Labor Day.

YUM
Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05
son born severly premature due to
celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

#4 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:26 PM

I just saw this in today's newspaper--I haven't tried it yet, so I can't vouch for how good it might be, but thought I'd post it immediately!

COCONUT PIE CRUST

Mix together 1/4 cup softened butter and 2 cups shredded coconut. Press into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake at 300 degrees or until crust is lightly browned. Cool before filling.

This is for pie fillings that do not need to be baked (would make a good substitute for graham cracker crusts). I am assuming that the sweetened shredded coconut that we can easily get at the supermarket would work just fine here.

If anyone tries it before I do, post the results here!!!!! :)

It will need to be the sweetened type. Unsweetened shredded coconut will just end up butter-toasted.
Nothing

#5 cycler

cycler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:30 PM

I had that recipe from another source and it's not bad if you bake it and then break it into pieces and eat it as a cookie but it is very greasy.

#6 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:31 PM

Hmmm...I wonder if it would work to cut the butter in half and throw in a beaten egg?

#7 daffadilly

daffadilly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:21 PM

I would not add a beaten egg, the amount of butter really sounds fine, I have made something similar a lot.

Sometimes I just use whatever cookie crumbs I have in the freezer, add butter, chopped nuts & or coconut.

But the favorite of my office is: (measurements are not exact because I really do not measure) 1 cup of almond flour, about 1/2 stick of butter, a cup or so of chopped pecans & a heaping cup of coconut, mix it all up & press in pie pan, bake at 350 degrees until it starts to brown.

I let the crust cool,

Then I take a can of sweetened condensed milk & stir in 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (or a little more if you really want tart) fresh squeezed lemon juice, stir till all is blended, pour into pie shell & put in refrigerator at least 24 hours before cutting but is really better 2 days later - if you can keep everyone out of it.

You can also use lime juice, or the traditional key limes is excellent !!!!

Note: some recipes will list this pie filling with a raw egg mixed in - ugh, I have never done this & I cannot see why anyone would put a raw egg in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: