This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Pre-school Snack Ideas!

e&j0304

e&j0304 Enthusiast

I am looking for lots of good ideas of gluten-free snacks that Ella can bring to school when it's her turn to share. We decided to be in on the snack rotation, but when it's her day I want the snack to be totally gluten-free (like string cheese and raisins for example). I am looking for mainstream things so I don't have to buy expensive gluten-free stuff for a bunch of 3 year olds. They of course have to be healthy too.

thanks for any suggestions. Ella's turn is at the end of Sept. and she will have to bring one about once a month or so. I just want a list of goodies to bring!

Thanks again,

Shannon

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

How about: Home baked yummy gluten-free cookies, celery sticks with spreadable cheese, a veggie tray with dip (surprisingly, when I bring that to church when we have a potluck lunch, it's the little kids that go for it first, they love it), gluten-free muffins, fruit...............I am sure others will have other ideas.

Nantzie Collaborator

Cool Ranch Doritos

Easy Cheese - cheddar flavor - and celery.

Peanut butter and celery - with or without raisins

Apples and peanut butter

Ursa Major Collaborator

I didn't suggest anything with peanut butter, because here in Canada, snacks with peanut butter wouldn't be allowed, because there may be a kid with a deadly allergy in the school.

pwalasik Newbie

Any Fresh Fruit

Apples and caramel dip

Any Fresh Vegetable

Jello/ or Jello jigglers

Pudding (Jello and Kraft brands list contents) You can buy the containers that come in 12 packs

gluten-free Yogurt

cheese

popcorn (not sure how you feel about this with their age)

Fruit snacks or Fruit Roll ups (otherwise known as fruit gummies, make sure they are gluten-free)

gluten-free Ice Cream or Popsicles (this was a hit at the end of the year picnic at my childrens school)

Corn or Potatoe chips- chips and sweet salsa have always worked

I have made Gorilla Munch or Fruity/ Cocoa Pebbles to make Rice Krispie type treats.

Homemade Cookies or muffins

Usually I have more idea's. I'll post if I can think of others.

Good Luck

Pam

wonkabar Contributor

-gluten-free Pantry makes GREAT brownie and chocolate cake (cupcake) mixes... I just sprinkle mine with powdered sugar instead of frosting. I promise they'd never know.

-Mi-Del Animal Crackers

-popcorn (don't know about kids' ages)

-Tings, Fruity Booty or Pirate's Booty (Robert's American Gourmet)

-cheddar cheese shapes (Kraft??) and turkey pepperoni

-homemade gluten-free blueberry or bananna muffins

-homemade Nestle Toll House cookies (I've used gluten-free Pantry flour instead of reg flour and they've come out great.)

-Gorilla Munch

-gluten-free rice krispie treats

-Sweet Potato chips

My kids eat all of this stuff and LOVE it!! :)

e&j0304 Enthusiast

These are all great suggestions!!!

Thank you all so much. This board is such a great resource! :)

Shannon

Oh, one more tihng. This is a class of 3-year-olds and I wanted your opinions about popcorn. I give it to my kids without a problem and they are 3.5 and almost 2. I know it can be a choking hazard, however, and wondered if you all think it would be ok to send to school or not?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wonkabar Contributor
Oh, one more tihng. This is a class of 3-year-olds and I wanted your opinions about popcorn. I give it to my kids without a problem and they are 3.5 and almost 2. I know it can be a choking hazard, however, and wondered if you all think it would be ok to send to school or not?

I just started giving my 3.5 year old popcorn and it's only a little at a time while we're watching him. (Some may think I'm a little neurotic with that but you know how little ones love to stuff food!!) I, personally, would not send it in to your son's preschool due to the chocking hazard. I'm also a teacher and have to think about stuff like that as well.

Guhlia Rising Star

rice crackers and cheese

rice crisp treats made with trix (check label)

fruit wedges/veggie wedges w/ or w/o dip

"popcorn balls" made with puffed corn instead of popcorn

mini muffins (I have a great recipe, PM if you want it)

pinwheels - lunchmeat spread with cream cheese and rolled up (YUM!)

gluten free mini pancakes (just add a little extra sugar and they don't need syrup - you do need a microwave though, they microwave well in the bag as a group)

GFBetsy Rookie

"Rice krispy" treats made with cocoa pebbles with 1/2 c. coconut. YUM! They taste like those samoa girl scout cookies.

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

I like to make a little trail mix for a snack, it's been a hit so far. I put in Glutino pretzels, craisins, marshmallows and sometimes a few chocolate chips. It's not totally healthy, but I figure it's about the same as the usual gluten filled preschool fare!

Sunmaid also has little boxes of yogurt covered raisins....those make great snacks, and you don't have to do a thing! I also do string cheese, Envirokidz rice crispie bars, or apple slices.

Regarding the popcorn thing, I think I would hold off too. I give it to my kids, but other parents may not like it. It does make a great snack though, I send it to school with my 7 year old all the time.

mylady4 Rookie

I have a daughter that is in 2nd grade and has special needs (not celiac yet) and I am sending treats for Christmas. I am going to be making sugar free jello jigglers and cutting them out in holiday shapes. I am starting to watch the sugar consumption pretty closely with the house and I figured around Christmas they will be getting enough sugar and it is just fun to eat (even better is pina colada and rum jigglers, but that is for adults).

Good luck

Nicole

wonkabar Contributor
I like to make a little trail mix for a snack, it's been a hit so far. I put in Glutino pretzels, craisins, marshmallows and sometimes a few chocolate chips. It's not totally healthy, but I figure it's about the same as the usual gluten filled preschool fare!

Great idea!! My kids will eat anything so I'm gonna try it this week! :)

e&j0304 Enthusiast

These are all such great ideas. Thank you all so much! I should be set for a little while! :)

Shannon

KrisT Explorer
I am looking for lots of good ideas of gluten-free snacks that Ella can bring to school when it's her turn to share. We decided to be in on the snack rotation, but when it's her day I want the snack to be totally gluten-free (like string cheese and raisins for example). I am looking for mainstream things so I don't have to buy expensive gluten-free stuff for a bunch of 3 year olds. They of course have to be healthy too.

thanks for any suggestions. Ella's turn is at the end of Sept. and she will have to bring one about once a month or so. I just want a list of goodies to bring!

Thanks again,

Shannon

I once made this healthy snack for my sons baseball team and they loved it! Get some skewers (you can cut off the pointy end) and make fruit and marshmallow kabobs. I only put one or two small marshmallows on each kabob and they thought it was the best. I used things like apple chunks, grapes, and mandarin oranges. It didn't take very long to make and it was something new and different for them.

e&j0304 Enthusiast
I once made this healthy snack for my sons baseball team and they loved it! Get some skewers (you can cut off the pointy end) and make fruit and marshmallow kabobs. I only put one or two small marshmallows on each kabob and they thought it was the best. I used things like apple chunks, grapes, and mandarin oranges. It didn't take very long to make and it was something new and different for them.

What a cute idea. That actually sounds really good. I'm sure they would love it!

wonkabar Contributor

Another great idea!! :D

Luvs to Scrap Apprentice

When it was Luke's turn for snack I sent grapes for everyone. I am thinking about bananas next time. He wants to bring some of my homemade gluten-free muffins sometime too. (am waiting a little while on the muffins--we think they are good but don't want one of the kids saying gross and ruining Luke's taste for them.!) Pudding, jello, cheese, fruit, veggies are all things I am planning to send. :) Kendra

Mom2aceliac Newbie

[quote name='pwalasik' date='Sep 7 2006, 07:30 PM' post='19922

Hi everyone! I'm a long-time lurker, who has decided to finally join in.

I wanted to question the cocoa pepples/fruity pebbles. I thought those were flavored with malt extract and would therefore be taboo on this diet? :unsure:

Mom2aceliac Newbie

Rice Crispies, fruity pebbles, cocoa pebbles, and Trix all contain wheat. Whether from wheat starch or malt flavoring.

There are some special brands of the puffed rice cereal that are gluten-free, but it will state this on the label.

Guest nini

Post cocoa pebbles and fruity pebbles are currently gluten-free.

Trix, and Cocoa Puffs were gluten-free for a very short time and now they've added wheat starch back into the ingredients

Rice Crispies contain barley malt and are a no no but Erewhon makes a gluten-free rice crisp that is just as good AND LABLED gluten-free

mamaw Community Regular

Our per-school does one day of sweet , one salty & so on that way kids are not getting too much sugar or junk food.

I have sent banana boats,gluten-free pretzels with peanut butter in between,rice cake faces, ice cream that the kids make themselves by rolling the tin around & making a game out of it, then they get to eat the ice cream they made.Now they actually sell the plastic container to do this with I alway used two coffee cans.cubed turkey or ham with cheese cubes and toothpicks (sorta like an afternoon tea) girls like this one better than boys. Our teacher usually says it girls day out so boys have to serve the girls so there's alot of giggling going on..... Someone else brings apple cider or juice.

mamaw

ellie30 Newbie

Hi :unsure:

I think some of the suggestions may not really be gluten-free. Doritos have seasonings mixed with wheat flour. Pringles and other extruded potato chips are made from wheat flour. Cocoa Pebbles, Rice Crispies and other cereals contain malt barley which is a Big No No. There is a cocoa pebble like cereal by Envirokids called KoalaCrisp that is really yummy. Watch out for the marshmellows. Some generic brands use modified food starch with wheat. It's amazing where you'll find those evil glutens lurking.

My 1 year old son was tested for celiacs today with the regular blood test. I'll feel so guilty if he has it. I feel so sorry for any child who has to have such a restrictive diet. Sometimes I feel sorry for myself too. Then I know it's time to make some of Pamela's brownies.

My suggestion for the preschool snack would be those Newman's own gluten free gingersnap cookies. They're yummy and a ton of them in a bag.

I love reading other people suggestions, ideas are hard to come by sometimes.

Ellie

Guhlia Rising Star
Hi :unsure:

I think some of the suggestions may not really be gluten-free. Doritos have seasonings mixed with wheat flour. Pringles and other extruded potato chips are made from wheat flour. Cocoa Pebbles, Rice Crispies and other cereals contain malt barley which is a Big No No. There is a cocoa pebble like cereal by Envirokids called KoalaCrisp that is really yummy. Watch out for the marshmellows. Some generic brands use modified food starch with wheat. It's amazing where you'll find those evil glutens lurking.

My 1 year old son was tested for celiacs today with the regular blood test. I'll feel so guilty if he has it. I feel so sorry for any child who has to have such a restrictive diet. Sometimes I feel sorry for myself too. Then I know it's time to make some of Pamela's brownies.

My suggestion for the preschool snack would be those Newman's own gluten free gingersnap cookies. They're yummy and a ton of them in a bag.

I love reading other people suggestions, ideas are hard to come by sometimes.

Ellie

I believe it's only the nacho cheese flavor Doritos that have gluten in them, not the flavors that I read in the suggestions (such as cool ranch). Post cocoa pebbles are gluten free (at least they were). Lays Stax are gluten free, but Pringles are not.

Archived