Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Leep Procedure (female Question)

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm back from my holiday. Has anyone ever had a LEEP procedure for abnormal cervical cells? I just had my colposcopy and most likely the doctor will do a LEEP after she gets the results. I would like to hear about other peoples experiences with this procedure.

Ads by Google:
Hello, I'm back from my holiday. Has anyone ever had a LEEP procedure for abnormal cervical cells? I just had my colposcopy and most likely the doctor will do a LEEP after she gets the results. I would like to hear about other peoples experiences with this procedure.

I haven't had the LEEP procedure, but did have laser surgery for cervical dysplasia (LEEP is the newer technology.) The laser procedure didn't take too long, and recovery didn't take long either. I had my husband come with me for moral support (I was pretty upset with having to have the laser surgery.) The doctor used a camera & monitor during the procedure, and so I was able to watch as well...it was actually kind of interesting. If I recall correctly, there was some minor cramping when the local anesthetic wore off, but tylenol took care of that. Within couple of days I was good as new.

Here is some more info on LEEP: http://www.colposcopy.com/leep.html

Michelle

I haven't had the LEEP procedure, but did have laser surgery for cervical dysplasia (LEEP is the newer technology.) The laser procedure didn't take too long, and recovery didn't take long either. I had my husband come with me for moral support (I was pretty upset with having to have the laser surgery.) The doctor used a camera & monitor during the procedure, and so I was able to watch as well...it was actually kind of interesting. If I recall correctly, there was some minor cramping when the local anesthetic wore off, but tylenol took care of that. Within couple of days I was good as new.

Yes, they said I will definitely need a ride home. Man, one girl walked out after having laser and all of us in the waiting room felt her pain. She walked in normally and had difficulty walking on the way out. She must have had a large area of her cervix done. I'm glad yours went smoothly.

I had the LEEP and the worst part was the anesthetic (it makes you feel like your heart is going to sprint out of your chest!). You also kind of "give birth" to alien babies as the cervix heals, and don't wear any good underwear for at least a week. It's a piece of cake :)

Yes, they said I will definitely need a ride home. Man, one girl walked out after having laser and all of us in the waiting room felt her pain. She walked in normally and had difficulty walking on the way out. She must have had a large area of her cervix done. I'm glad yours went smoothly.

Hmm, I don't recall having difficulty walking afterward, but it was a number of years ago. The cervix has no nerve endings so the pain isn't necessarily local to the lasered site...it was more like heavy cramping, but I believe they gave a local anesthetic anyway (I had no anesthetic with the original colposcopy.) With the laser treatment, there wasn't a huge amount of bleeding...it certainly didn't last long...and they used a tampon to help stop the bleeding. It may be different with LEEP though.

Michelle

I had the Leep about 13 years ago, they removed a very large section of my cervix and I needed someone to drive me home, I think I rested for a day or two then was back at work... it really wasn't that bad. Not nearly as bad as the laparoscopy that I had a few years later... yikes.

I had a LEEP done last June (2005). I didn't think that it was bad at all (except the anesthetic mentioned above makng me feel weird) and was able to drive myself home. I did have some cramping for a few days, but that was about all.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences of LEEP. It's very calming to hear it from people who have been through it. Another question, did anyone have any problems with pregnancy after their LEEP?

I haven't had the procedure, but had to read . . . . Chelsea -- you crack me up!!!! :lol:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Villous atrophy with negative tTG IgG/IgA, high Gliadin IgA!
      Welcome!  How does your doctor interpret your results?  You obviously have intestinal damage, but that can be attributed to many things. http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/tag/damage/   There are celiacs who do not test positive on the antibodies tests (you only need one positive out of the panel).   (I had a positive DGP Iga test and the rest were negative, yet my biopsies revealed moderate to severe villi damage.)  Were you eating gluten when you had all the testing done?    You definitely sound like you have a lactose intolerance which can be temporary with celiac (or not if you are lactose intolerant due to genetics).    Maybe a milk allergy?  I am sorry that your results are not clear.  
    • Celiac.com: Celiac Disease Screening An Uncertainty
      http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/UpdateSummaryDraft/celiac-disease-screening?ds=1&s=celiac This is a link to the USPSTF page on celiac screening.  It says the recommendation is still in draft until 30- May-16. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- " Draft Recommendation Statement Importance Celiac disease is a multisystem autoimmune disorder in genetically predisposed adults and children that is triggered by dietary gluten. Ingestion of gluten by persons with celiac disease can cause immune-mediated inflammatory damage to the small intestine, which can cause gastrointestinal and nongastrointestinal illness. The clinical presentation, severity of symptoms, and natural history of the disease varies, and includes asymptomatic (or “silent”) celiac disease. In studies of U.S. populations, the estimated prevalence of celiac disease among adults ranges from 0.40% to 0.95%.1 Prevalence is higher than average among non-Hispanic whites, persons with a family history of celiac disease, and those with other autoimmune conditions. Detection The USPSTF found inadequate evidence regarding the accuracy of screening tests for celiac disease in asymptomatic populations. Benefits of Early Detection and Intervention or Treatment The USPSTF found inadequate evidence on the effectiveness of screening for celiac disease in asymptomatic adults, adolescents, and children with regard to morbidity, mortality, or quality of life. The USPSTF also found inadequate evidence on the effectiveness of targeted screening in persons who are at increased risk for celiac disease (e.g., persons with family history or other risk factors). The USPSTF found inadequate evidence on the effectiveness of treatment of screen-detected, asymptomatic celiac disease to improve morbidity, mortality, or quality of life compared to no treatment or treatment initiated after clinical diagnosis. Harms of Early Detection and Intervention or Treatment The USPSTF found inadequate evidence on the harms of screening for or treatment of celiac disease. USPSTF Assessment The USPSTF concludes that the current evidence is insufficient to assess the balance of benefits and harms of screening for celiac disease in asymptomatic persons. Evidence is lacking, and the balance of benefits and harms cannot be determined. .... Potential Harms of Screening or Treatment The USPSTF found no trials or controlled observational studies on the harms of screening for celiac disease in asymptomatic populations. Potential harms of screening in asymptomatic populations include false-positive, inconclusive, or unnecessary serologic tests and biopsies, with possible anxiety or complications from testing. However, the USPSTF found no studies on these harms. *** Some persons with biopsy-confirmed celiac disease may never develop symptoms; therefore, overdiagnosis is also a potential concern. ***                                              One small fair-quality trial of treatment with a gluten-free diet16 reported no withdrawals due to major symptoms or complications. The USPSTF found no other studies on the harms of treatment with a gluten-free versus nongluten-free diet in persons with screen-detected celiac disease.  " Send Us Your Comments In an effort to maintain a high level of transparency in our methods, we open our draft Recommendation Statements to a public comment period before we publish the final version. Leave a Comment >> ... article continues... this is  a link to the comment form: http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Comment/Collect/Index/draft-recommendation-statement150/celiac-disease-screening ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I don't agree with the italicized quote myself.  It seems they think if you have silent celiac with no symptoms it's ok to keep damaging your body by eating gluten.  that just doesn't make sense to me. The comment period seems to be open still, and they have a comment option on that page a the bottom.  Since it seems the people doing the research aren't totally aware of the issues related to celiac disease and it's effects, maybe we should leave them some comments.  Right now they are saying they are not making any recommendation regarding celiac disease screening due to not having enough evidence of a benefit.  That's not an issue I don't think, except in the case of first degree relatives.  First degree relatives should be screened as they have a much higher chance of having celiac or developing it.  The current draft leaves testing relatives up to the individual doctor.  I  know my doctor won't test my 2 brothers even though I have celiac disease.   That isn't right IMHO. It seems like they should seek input from experts in the field, like Dr Fassano and the U of Chicago celiac center etc. It's a draft recommendation right now though, so they are seeking public comments.      
    • New Celiac Doctor - Atlanta/Duluth, GA
      I can't help you with finding a new GI, but I can empathize with driving the 400!   I have family in the Northern Atlanta area and visit often.   How horrible that your account was so mis-managed! 
    • New Celiac Doctor - Atlanta/Duluth, GA
      Hello! I have Celiac Disease (confirmed by blood tests and endoscopy done in 2013) and was going to a doctor at Atlanta Gastroenterology Associates until the end of last year (2015) when they started charging me for things that happened in 2013 - two years late. I had since changed insurance and was forced to pay out of pocket for the charges or be sent to collections. All in all, I loved my doctor there, but was very unhappy with the way the billing was managed.  So, I found a new doctor and have seen her once. I like her very much so far, but have recently moved and my home is so far from her office it often takes me 1-2 hours to get there with Atlanta traffic. (Her office is at Emory St. Joseph's hospital.) I should say one of the reasons we moved to Duluth was to get away from Atlanta traffic. I don't want to change practices, but I'm considering it. Does anyone out there live in North Atlanta? Alpharetta, Lawrenceville, Duluth, Suwanee? And have a doctor in the area they would recommend that is NOT associated with Atlanta Gastroenterology Associates? I would rather drive 5 hours to see a doctor than go back to that group, no matter how good the doctors are! Any recommendations are welcome!
    • Sjogren's, Celiac, or both?
      Welcome!  Unfortunately, you would have to go back on gluten to get tested (8 to 12 weeks for the blood test and 2 to 4 weeks for the endoscopy).  Here are the tests: http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/ I am sorry that your doctor is so mis-informed! There are over 300 symptoms attributed to celiac disease and some celiacs are considered "silent" with no symptoms at all!  I personally was anemic and had no tummy issues that I was aware of at the time of my diagnosis.   There are other forum members who have Sjogren's who might have some good advice (@Gemini).   I wish you well!  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
    • ukuleleerika

Hello! I am new to this Celiac website... Is there anyone out there with Celiac AND extensive food allergies? My allergies include shellfish, dairy, eggs, cantaloupe, kiwi, mango, nuts, oranges, red dye, and more I can't think of. I went to the allergist about a year ago to see why I wasn't feeling well, and once everything was eliminated, I still didn't feel well. We did more testing to find out I had celiac as well as allergies to cattle as well as rye grass (I live on a farm basically). This was back in January 2016. I recently had my endoscopy with the gastroenterologist a week ago. I have no idea what to do or what to eat... So fish and potatoes for me!
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Edav009