8 replies to this topic

#1 Felidae

Felidae

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:46 PM

Hello, I'm back from my holiday. Has anyone ever had a LEEP procedure for abnormal cervical cells? I just had my colposcopy and most likely the doctor will do a LEEP after she gets the results. I would like to hear about other peoples experiences with this procedure.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:26 PM

Hello, I'm back from my holiday. Has anyone ever had a LEEP procedure for abnormal cervical cells? I just had my colposcopy and most likely the doctor will do a LEEP after she gets the results. I would like to hear about other peoples experiences with this procedure.

I haven't had the LEEP procedure, but did have laser surgery for cervical dysplasia (LEEP is the newer technology.) The laser procedure didn't take too long, and recovery didn't take long either. I had my husband come with me for moral support (I was pretty upset with having to have the laser surgery.) The doctor used a camera & monitor during the procedure, and so I was able to watch as well...it was actually kind of interesting. If I recall correctly, there was some minor cramping when the local anesthetic wore off, but tylenol took care of that. Within couple of days I was good as new.

Here is some more info on LEEP: http://www.colposcopy.com/leep.html

Michelle

#3 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:54 AM

I haven't had the LEEP procedure, but did have laser surgery for cervical dysplasia (LEEP is the newer technology.) The laser procedure didn't take too long, and recovery didn't take long either. I had my husband come with me for moral support (I was pretty upset with having to have the laser surgery.) The doctor used a camera & monitor during the procedure, and so I was able to watch as well...it was actually kind of interesting. If I recall correctly, there was some minor cramping when the local anesthetic wore off, but tylenol took care of that. Within couple of days I was good as new.

Yes, they said I will definitely need a ride home. Man, one girl walked out after having laser and all of us in the waiting room felt her pain. She walked in normally and had difficulty walking on the way out. She must have had a large area of her cervix done. I'm glad yours went smoothly.
Tapioca intolerant
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

#4 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:15 PM

I had the LEEP and the worst part was the anesthetic (it makes you feel like your heart is going to sprint out of your chest!). You also kind of "give birth" to alien babies as the cervix heals, and don't wear any good underwear for at least a week. It's a piece of cake :)
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#5 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:38 PM

Yes, they said I will definitely need a ride home. Man, one girl walked out after having laser and all of us in the waiting room felt her pain. She walked in normally and had difficulty walking on the way out. She must have had a large area of her cervix done. I'm glad yours went smoothly.

Hmm, I don't recall having difficulty walking afterward, but it was a number of years ago. The cervix has no nerve endings so the pain isn't necessarily local to the lasered site...it was more like heavy cramping, but I believe they gave a local anesthetic anyway (I had no anesthetic with the original colposcopy.) With the laser treatment, there wasn't a huge amount of bleeding...it certainly didn't last long...and they used a tampon to help stop the bleeding. It may be different with LEEP though.

Michelle

#6 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:13 PM

I had the Leep about 13 years ago, they removed a very large section of my cervix and I needed someone to drive me home, I think I rested for a day or two then was back at work... it really wasn't that bad. Not nearly as bad as the laparoscopy that I had a few years later... yikes.

#7 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:28 AM

I had a LEEP done last June (2005). I didn't think that it was bad at all (except the anesthetic mentioned above makng me feel weird) and was able to drive myself home. I did have some cramping for a few days, but that was about all.
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#8 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:21 PM

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences of LEEP. It's very calming to hear it from people who have been through it. Another question, did anyone have any problems with pregnancy after their LEEP?
Tapioca intolerant

#9 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:37 AM

I haven't had the procedure, but had to read . . . . Chelsea -- you crack me up!!!! :lol:
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: