Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Leep Procedure (female Question)

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm back from my holiday. Has anyone ever had a LEEP procedure for abnormal cervical cells? I just had my colposcopy and most likely the doctor will do a LEEP after she gets the results. I would like to hear about other peoples experiences with this procedure.

Ads by Google:
Hello, I'm back from my holiday. Has anyone ever had a LEEP procedure for abnormal cervical cells? I just had my colposcopy and most likely the doctor will do a LEEP after she gets the results. I would like to hear about other peoples experiences with this procedure.

I haven't had the LEEP procedure, but did have laser surgery for cervical dysplasia (LEEP is the newer technology.) The laser procedure didn't take too long, and recovery didn't take long either. I had my husband come with me for moral support (I was pretty upset with having to have the laser surgery.) The doctor used a camera & monitor during the procedure, and so I was able to watch as well...it was actually kind of interesting. If I recall correctly, there was some minor cramping when the local anesthetic wore off, but tylenol took care of that. Within couple of days I was good as new.

Here is some more info on LEEP: http://www.colposcopy.com/leep.html

Michelle

I haven't had the LEEP procedure, but did have laser surgery for cervical dysplasia (LEEP is the newer technology.) The laser procedure didn't take too long, and recovery didn't take long either. I had my husband come with me for moral support (I was pretty upset with having to have the laser surgery.) The doctor used a camera & monitor during the procedure, and so I was able to watch as well...it was actually kind of interesting. If I recall correctly, there was some minor cramping when the local anesthetic wore off, but tylenol took care of that. Within couple of days I was good as new.

Yes, they said I will definitely need a ride home. Man, one girl walked out after having laser and all of us in the waiting room felt her pain. She walked in normally and had difficulty walking on the way out. She must have had a large area of her cervix done. I'm glad yours went smoothly.

I had the LEEP and the worst part was the anesthetic (it makes you feel like your heart is going to sprint out of your chest!). You also kind of "give birth" to alien babies as the cervix heals, and don't wear any good underwear for at least a week. It's a piece of cake :)

Yes, they said I will definitely need a ride home. Man, one girl walked out after having laser and all of us in the waiting room felt her pain. She walked in normally and had difficulty walking on the way out. She must have had a large area of her cervix done. I'm glad yours went smoothly.

Hmm, I don't recall having difficulty walking afterward, but it was a number of years ago. The cervix has no nerve endings so the pain isn't necessarily local to the lasered site...it was more like heavy cramping, but I believe they gave a local anesthetic anyway (I had no anesthetic with the original colposcopy.) With the laser treatment, there wasn't a huge amount of bleeding...it certainly didn't last long...and they used a tampon to help stop the bleeding. It may be different with LEEP though.

Michelle

I had the Leep about 13 years ago, they removed a very large section of my cervix and I needed someone to drive me home, I think I rested for a day or two then was back at work... it really wasn't that bad. Not nearly as bad as the laparoscopy that I had a few years later... yikes.

I had a LEEP done last June (2005). I didn't think that it was bad at all (except the anesthetic mentioned above makng me feel weird) and was able to drive myself home. I did have some cramping for a few days, but that was about all.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences of LEEP. It's very calming to hear it from people who have been through it. Another question, did anyone have any problems with pregnancy after their LEEP?

I haven't had the procedure, but had to read . . . . Chelsea -- you crack me up!!!! :lol: