Patty

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 04:45 PM

Hi,
I'm Patty and new to the board. Has anyone noticed when they eliminated gluten
that their asthma and coughing disappeared rather quickly? For years I developed
those symptoms, with severe reflux, and when I gave up wheat, barley, and other gluten foods the asthma and cough are nearly gone. Has anyone else noticed this? I've also no longer have excessive gas - thank goodness!
Patty

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 07:32 PM

While I find that my common symptoms and how my body deals with a cold or flu have changed, I do still have my asthma. It's never been bad, however, so if the dietary change made any difference, it would be hard for me to tell.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 bluebird

bluebird

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 07:52 PM

Yep, It is amazing how much better my asthma is. I still keep the emergency inhaler handy, but I have used it only twice this summer so far. Before that I had been to the emergency room for bad attacks several times in the past year. I had coughing and severe reflux, too and it is so much better. I had to give up dairy also, so maybe that is helping with controlling my asthma. I feel SOOOO much better.

Lynn

#4 hjkmatthews

hjkmatthews

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:41 AM

Hello,
My daughter is only 27 months, and from the time around 9 months, she had severe asthmatic problems. She was sick nonstop with ear infection after infection, and the asthma came with each one. The doctors had us giving her breathing treatments 24/7. She was on Pulmicort twice a day, and Xeophenex every 4 hours. Talk about hectic! When she went into the hospital this past january, she even had to have deep suction the entire first week. Then, during the third week of her stay, she was diagnosed with Celiac, and began the gluten-free diet. She hasn't had to have a breathing treatment or another ear infection since then. Not even a simple cold!!! I don't even think she had asthma at all, I just think her immune system was so frail and weak from not being gluten-free. Best of luck to you!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: