66 replies to this topic

#1 jesscarmel

jesscarmel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:19 PM

I'm really upset! today a kid at work came up to me and asked me if i was sick. i said actually i am sick, i have a cold. he said "oh well i did something to your keyboard." the short story is he was in my office wiht this therapist and another therapist and she told him to cough on my keyboard (he was sick) so i would get sick i geuss. when i confronted her about it (she is my friend by the way) she laughed and said they did do that, they thoguht it was funny and then said sorry. i geuss they think its funny becasue i disiinfect my desk and stuff every couple of days becaseu the kids we work wtih have very poor hygiene, i worke in a resdiential facility. anwywas do ppl agree that this is upsetting? or am i overreacting?

Jess
Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac
years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:20 PM

Jess, that is truely HORRIBLE. I would be so upset with your so-called "friend". That's just disrespectful and rude, not to mention unhealthy. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Hope you feel better soon!
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#3 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:24 PM

And that's when you tell your boss...that's absolutely ridiculous! I'm sorry that happened to you :(
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#4 jesscarmel

jesscarmel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:24 PM

Jess, that is truely HORRIBLE. I would be so upset with your so-called "friend". That's just disrespectful and rude, not to mention unhealthy. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks Angie! i know, i really thought we were friends. just this mornign she was asking me to come to her party tommorow night??!! then i wondered what if they put gluteny foods on my desk?? okay mabye that's paranoid but who knows? i am really mad and will probably have to confront her on monday because i am very angry about this!
Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac
years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:25 PM

My gosh Jess, that's horrible. I can't believe a "friend" did that to you.

Overreacting? Not at all--they should be ashamed of themselves.

For once, I'm speechless--I'm sorry that it happened to you :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 jesscarmel

jesscarmel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:27 PM

And that's when you tell your boss...that's absolutely ridiculous! I'm sorry that happened to you :(

Hey Penguin!
i actually told my boss who is my good friend...also weird. i sort of work in a weird place and she thought it was mean but didnt really say anything. my fianccee is so upset and wants me to go to the director but i feel like i should confront her directly.
hope you are doing better than me! also we are getting oru dog tommorow so that should cheer me up!

#7 Guest_~jules~_*

Guest_~jules~_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:30 PM

How completely immature is that! Why would someone go out of there way to make someone sick? I'm sorry you have to work with people like that, I would try to stay away from them if at all possible.

#8 jesscarmel

jesscarmel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:31 PM

My gosh Jess, that's horrible. I can't believe a "friend" did that to you.

Overreacting? Not at all--they should be ashamed of themselves.

For once, I'm speechless--I'm sorry that it happened to you :)

the weird thing is shes not a mean person so i cant figure it out. i know they think im really neurtoic about germs and sort of prissy which i admit to, but we are a very close knit team of six clinicians, we get together on the weekends sometimes so this is just really bizzare. i think she thought it wsa really funny and didnt think i would find out or be mad.

#9 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

I'm good. I hope you get over the cold soon! :)

I would tell the director personally, it's something that needs to be taken seriously. Making you purposefully sick is definitely harrassment if not assault. Definitely unacceptable. Especially since your health is already comprimised because of celiac. It's truly unthinkable that someone, especially an adult, especially a friend, would do that. And what kind of counselors are they anyway, helping the kid do it?!
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#10 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:45 PM

I agree with the others, you definitely need to have this type of behavior taken care of. It's just not fair that they did something like that to you, even if you wouldn't have gotten sick. As for the gluten thing, I don't think you're being paranoid at all. I would ask her directly if they've ever done anything like that w/ gluten and explain how very serious your illness is and that exposure could not only make you sick, but it could also contribute to life long health problems.

Argh... I'm fuming at just the thought of this.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#11 jesscarmel

jesscarmel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:58 PM

I agree with the others, you definitely need to have this type of behavior taken care of. It's just not fair that they did something like that to you, even if you wouldn't have gotten sick. As for the gluten thing, I don't think you're being paranoid at all. I would ask her directly if they've ever done anything like that w/ gluten and explain how very serious your illness is and that exposure could not only make you sick, but it could also contribute to life long health problems.

Argh... I'm fuming at just the thought of this.

I know i really need to do something. im horrible at this stuff, confronting people. i'm alrady percieved as being dramatic so its hard for me when something really does need to be made a big deal of. i know my superiviosr, who is differnet from my director, will be furious about this and will go nuts so im not sure i should tell her or speak again to my director and not involve my superivisor. i feel like i want to lock my office now, i dont even have a key. we let all the kids go into each others office with clinicians cause we all have differnt toys. i have alot of toys so kids like to go in there, i would hate to have to lock it. also it is very clinically innapropriate to have a child do that and i know my sup would freak out about that, inolving a child in something innapropriate...

#12 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:09 PM

Maybe someone should freak out about this. Teaching this kind of behaviour to children is also inappropriate and a parent might find out about this sort of thing and shut you down.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#13 nikki182

nikki182

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:10 PM

Wow, I can't believe there are people out there who would do something like that! You're not overreacting at all; what they did was downright rude. I'm sorry that you have to put up with people like that. I'd say it's also pretty irresponsible of someone to purposely spread germs in an area where little kids come in to play. Whether or not you decide to talk to your boss, I think you should confront the "friends". If you could tell them how serious it is that they purposely made you sick when you already have a compromised immune system, without being too emotional (though it will be hard since they were so rude), I think you can make them see that what they did was absolutely not funny like they think and that it was very disrespectful. What if she unknowingly had something worse than a cold and passed it on to you?

BTW, I think I'm going to go get some disinfectant spray. Now I'm paranoid... :unsure:
**NiKKi**
celiac newbie '06, Hashimoto's

*inconclusive blood tests
*positive response to gluten-free diet

Cornell University '07

Lance Armstrong: Quit? You know, once I was thinking of quitting when I was diagnosed with brain, lung and testicular cancer all at the same time. But with the love and support of my friends and family, I got back on the bike and won the Tour de France five times in a row. But I'm sure you have a good reason to quit.

#14 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:10 PM

But Jess, the clinician *did* involve the child. Playing a "trick"--no matter how thoughtless or cruel--on a co-worker is one thing. But she crossed the line by involving the child.

In my mind, the Supervisor has good reason to 'freak out' about this. I'm the same way when it comes to confrontation, but in a case like this, I would definately have to say something.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#15 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:14 PM

I know i really need to do something. im horrible at this stuff, confronting people. i'm alrady percieved as being dramatic so its hard for me when something really does need to be made a big deal of. i know my superiviosr, who is differnet from my director, will be furious about this and will go nuts so im not sure i should tell her or speak again to my director and not involve my superivisor. i feel like i want to lock my office now, i dont even have a key. we let all the kids go into each others office with clinicians cause we all have differnt toys. i have alot of toys so kids like to go in there, i would hate to have to lock it. also it is very clinically innapropriate to have a child do that and i know my sup would freak out about that, inolving a child in something innapropriate...

Jess, I agree, this is awful on many levels. For therapists to tell a kid to do something that would make somebody sick is inexcusable. It teaches the child that it is okay to play dangerous tricks on people, to keep secrets, to bully others (because it is a form of bullying) and other things I can't think of right now.

Your collegues were being mean spiritited, and it shows what they REALLY think about you, that they did that. After something like this I would have a hard time still thinking of them as friends.

I don't think it is too much to go to your supervisor about this. Since nobody else seems to see the seriousness of this behaviour, which means that it can happen again, you may need to go to her. As you say, she would be furious about what happened (rightfully so), and will hopefully make it extremely clear to everybody involved that there will be serious consequences if she ever hears of another incident like that.

I hope your new dog will help you feel better.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: