66 replies to this topic

#16 jesscarmel

jesscarmel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:15 PM

i really appreciate everyone's support. i will deal with this on monday. i was in tears today so i just left. im sure i will end up crying on monday anyways....but at least ill have the weekend to cool down. sadly our kids dont ususally have parents but i agreee it is very concerning to teach this to a child, one who already engages in innapropriate behaviors and illegal ones! i knew i could count on people on this site to support me. im still in tears about it now, it just really makes me feel bad.
Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac
years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 chewymom

chewymom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:18 PM

this is wrong on several levels. first, that is harrassment or something--i mean, i would think that chick could get into legal trouble over a prank like that. and if you ended up needing a sick day due to illness, your company loses money.

second, i'm not sure what kind of facility you work in, but that is just not something you teach kids. it sounds like maybe you work with kids with special needs?? i have a son with down syndrome, and if i ever thought he was being taught that this kind of behavior was acceptable, i would be jumping down someone's throat over it!! it's hard enough to teach appropriate social and hygene skills--but to be taught totally inappropriate stuff--sheesh! okay, if this is totally not your situation, then pardon my little rant....

anyway, i would definitely go to the director or whoever is a high authority who will take this really seriously. that staff needs to be retrained about appropriate behavior.

#18 jesscarmel

jesscarmel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:21 PM

this is wrong on several levels. first, that is harrassment or something--i mean, i would think that chick could get into legal trouble over a prank like that. and if you ended up needing a sick day due to illness, your company loses money.

second, i'm not sure what kind of facility you work in, but that is just not something you teach kids. it sounds like maybe you work with kids with special needs?? i have a son with down syndrome, and if i ever thought he was being taught that this kind of behavior was acceptable, i would be jumping down someone's throat over it!! it's hard enough to teach appropriate social and hygene skills--but to be taught totally inappropriate stuff--sheesh! okay, if this is totally not your situation, then pardon my little rant....

anyway, i would definitely go to the director or whoever is a high authority who will take this really seriously. that staff needs to be retrained about appropriate behavior.

we mostly work with children who have been abused who are diagnosed with mental illness but we do have special needs children with aspergers, pervasive developmental disorder etc.... if i were a mom and my kid was taught that i would defintly be very upset
Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac
years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

#19 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:50 PM

Your colleague purposely exposed you to a germ that was known to make people sick. That is a form of bio-terrorism. Your colleague also used a minor to do that. That is child abuse. For that, your colleague should be in jail. Go to your supervisor, before you become an accessory after the fact to the abuse.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#20 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:09 PM

when your supervisor deals with this situation, i think that the child also needs to be involved. not for the child to get in trouble, but for the child to know that what the therapist told him to do was wrong and that she is being reprimanded for it. it sounds like these kids have seen some adults do some really bad things in their lives------wouldn't it be good for this boy to learn that "naughty" adults have consequences too?

obviously, this gal thinks you are rediculous for disinfecting things,(obviously you aren't) so this was her way of making fun of you. will she make fun of the children in the same way if she thinks their actions or ideas are ridiculous?
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

#21 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:13 PM

But Jess, the clinician *did* involve the child. Playing a "trick"--no matter how thoughtless or cruel--on a co-worker is one thing. But she crossed the line by involving the child.

In my mind, the Supervisor has good reason to 'freak out' about this. I'm the same way when it comes to confrontation, but in a case like this, I would definately have to say something.

Jess hope you and Patti don't mind me quoting her as I'm beat tonight and agree with all others said but Patti addressed this main issue as I see it..as an educator for 18 years, this is appaling..on so many levels.
the 3 of us all hate confrontation but in this case and with these impressionable children i do not think in good consious you can ignore this. I feel you must report this person..she sure isn't a mature friend at all.
very very poor judgement should be addressed. Hope the parents don't find out about it.. heads should roll.
Judy in Philly (please over look spelling errors to tired to find my spelling cheat book)
Judy in Southern CA

#22 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:09 PM

Jess, So sorry that happened to you. The friend was not acting like a friend and not acting like a responsible adult. She needs to be told that type of behavior is not the way a professional acts. Hopefully your leader will handle her. Treat yourself extra good this weekend. You deserve it. LL
Lee

#23 Guest_~jules~_*

Guest_~jules~_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:30 PM

I was reading a post here where you were worried about how they might percieve you as prissy for being careful about germs. I do the same thing all over my house. I spray the doorknobs, toilet seat, well you name it all the time, and the computer desk is a biggie. People eat there and are constantly touching it, plus I heard on the news that more germs were found at someones computer workstation than on the toilet seat! So in my opinion you are just being smart, and trying to stay healthy. I'll say it again I think it is very immature and mean to intentionally hack your germs on someones things, I would deffinetly say something.

#24 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:25 PM

That is unfreakinbelieveable. I'm really sorry that happened to you.

I'm disgusted.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#25 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:33 AM

I can not believe that someone like that is allowed to work with children. Frankly this person needs to lose their job IMHO. You definately need to let your supervisor know, but I would do it in Wed. after taking 2 days of sick time. I would report directly to the supervisor what made you sick when you call in Monday. Your 'freind' should cover your work for those two days. And go to anything that involves this person on a social level, never in a million years would I ever do that. How could you trust this person. As to the no lock on your door, well I would insist on one before I stepped back in that facility and I would make it very clear why.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#26 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:53 AM

Hey Penguin!
i actually told my boss who is my good friend...also weird. i sort of work in a weird place and she thought it was mean but didnt really say anything. my fianccee is so upset and wants me to go to the director but i feel like i should confront her directly.
hope you are doing better than me! also we are getting oru dog tommorow so that should cheer me up!

I definately feel you should say something to them. I mean what the heck is wrong with people?!!!! What part of that is funny. Tell her if she thinks it's so funny that you would love to show her just how funny it is and cough all over her and leave your snotty, infected tissues all over her personal things!!

This is really just one of the rudest, dumbest things I've ever heard. It's as if they are 5 years old and don't have a brain between them! Sorry, I'm just really mad for you and feel bad that you're sick because of these losers.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#27 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:52 AM

First off the only weird thing from my perspective is involving the child!
That though is said in the context of I don't think many things like this are FUNNY....

Stag parties? Hen nights? need I go on?

I can understand you not wanting to make a huge fuss and equally understand why you are so upset.
Perhaps working with children is rubbing off on them?

I'd really suggest talking to them. Make a cup of tea or similar for them and go over Explain its not funny and you do not appreciate it and involving the child was professional misconduct and if they were not friends you would have no hesitiation going to the supervisor.
After they understand or not take out a bottle of laxative with a few removed and tell them they just drank enough to have them on the loo all day.

Let this sink in... let a bit of pschology make them start to feel the effects and then say how this isn't funny is it? but luckily you were not immature and stupid enough to put laxatives in their tea!

maybe this will diffuse the situation without recriminations, get them to see the point and apologise!
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#28 jesscarmel

jesscarmel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:59 AM

I can not believe that someone like that is allowed to work with children. Frankly this person needs to lose their job IMHO. You definately need to let your supervisor know, but I would do it in Wed. after taking 2 days of sick time. I would report directly to the supervisor what made you sick when you call in Monday. Your 'freind' should cover your work for those two days. And go to anything that involves this person on a social level, never in a million years would I ever do that. How could you trust this person. As to the no lock on your door, well I would insist on one before I stepped back in that facility and I would make it very clear why.

I thought about taking a day off but then the kids really suffer so i feel bad. the weekends are hard for them so if i dont see them on monday they get upset :(
last night i called my boss who happens to be my friend ( she recently becaem the boss) and left her a message saying that i felt i had no choice but to talk to my supervisior and her boss but that i wanted to tel lher first in case she felt like she wanted to tell them. i said because a child was involved ethically i have no choice but to stand up for him and myself. im speaking to my supervisor tommorow and then on monday i geuss we will go together to the boss of the agency..........im so nervous! i hate this.

#29 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:06 AM

[quote name='jesscarmel' date='Sep 9 2006, 11:59 AM' post='199883']
I thought about taking a day off but then the kids really suffer so i feel bad. the weekends are hard for them so if i dont see them on monday they get upset :(

Dear Jess--I'm so proud of you!
I know from the above quote that you are so 'pure of heart' and really care for the children in your care!

I'm so glad you made this phone call today. You've taken the first step. Thank God for answering machines. You can give her the 'polite' heads up for your plans...Remember, your victim here!!!! You didn't ask for this situation that now you have to take action on. Your doing the right thing and hopfully, others will realize that this kind of stupidity will not be tolerated. The child will see (as someone else said) that adults will have consequences for their poor choices too.
This negative experience for you --might have a good 'learning' conclusion for everyone one.
Good luck. I will be thinking of you on Monday. If this person calls you back, I would just not answer the phone and get into a decission with her....enjoy your new puppy and weekend. I know your nervous but when you think of it,,,,go play with the puppy!
Congratulations...glad you felt the foum could be of help to you.
Judy in Philly
Judy in Southern CA

#30 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:47 AM

I'm really upset! today a kid at work came up to me and asked me if i was sick. i said actually i am sick, i have a cold. he said "oh well i did something to your keyboard." the short story is he was in my office wiht this therapist and another therapist and she told him to cough on my keyboard (he was sick) so i would get sick i geuss. when i confronted her about it (she is my friend by the way) she laughed and said they did do that, they thoguht it was funny and then said sorry. i geuss they think its funny becasue i disiinfect my desk and stuff every couple of days becaseu the kids we work wtih have very poor hygiene, i worke in a resdiential facility. anwywas do ppl agree that this is upsetting? or am i overreacting?

Jess

I might be posting prematurely as I have not read the other responses because I couldn't wait to write .... That's a friend??? I would be sure to disinfect everything from now on ... you have people intentionally making you ill. I sure hope your "friend" came over with some gluten-free chicken noodle soup to make up for her lapsed judgment!!

i know my sup would freak out about that, inolving a child in something innapropriate...

You definately need to tell. It's really your obligation to as the "friend" who did this needs to be reprimanded from someone other than you for her poor professional judgment.

For the friend aspect, that's your responsibility to jump down her throat for! But since it involved kids in an inappropriate way, the sup needs to know.

Make a cup of tea or similar for them and go over Explain its not funny and you do not appreciate it and involving the child was professional misconduct and if they were not friends you would have no hesitiation going to the supervisor.
After they understand or not take out a bottle of laxative with a few removed and tell them they just drank enough to have them on the loo all day.

This would also make the point to not expose you to gluten. ;) :lol: I have some relatives I might use this one on, only it would be waaaayyy to tempting to use the laxative!!! :lol:
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: