This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just A Few Questions

Phoenix73

Phoenix73 Newbie

Hi glad i found this community, :)

After 33 years of weird symptoms, i believe i pinpointed the problem, pretty sure it is gluten, been gluten free since August20. I believe the most significant problem that I had with Gluten was malabsorption especially of the mineral magnesium. Most of my symptoms dissapear when I take this supplement, I would prefer not too though, which brings me to the following questions.

I have had days since when I had felt better than ever, the only grain I thought I did not have a problem with was corn/maize, i now think i may be wrong, been having quite a bit of this this week and back to feeling awful, but not as bad as i did before i went gluten free.

The Question basically is can corn/maize cause malabsorption symptoms the same way as that of gluten?

thanks in Advance :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LKelly8 Rookie

:)

No, corn intolerance doesn't cause the same kind of malabsorption as celiac.

jerseyangel Proficient
Hi glad i found this community, :)

After 33 years of weird symptoms, i believe i pinpointed the problem, pretty sure it is gluten, been gluten free since August20. I believe the most significant problem that I had with Gluten was malabsorption especially of the mineral magnesium. Most of my symptoms dissapear when I take this supplement, I would prefer not too though, which brings me to the following questions.

I have had days since when I had felt better than ever, the only grain I thought I did not have a problem with was corn/maize, i now think i may be wrong, been having quite a bit of this this week and back to feeling awful, but not as bad as i did before i went gluten free.

The Question basically is can corn/maize cause malabsorption symptoms the same way as that of gluten?

thanks in Advance :)

Hi--I'm glad you found us, too! Welcome :)

Although corn (which is also a grain) dosen't cause villi damage, it can cause symptoms in those sensitive to it.

There are quite a few of us here who are intolerant to corn. I can't tolerate it in any form--I get GI issues similar to when I eat gluten.

I would omit it from your diet completely--it's in a lot of processed foods, so you need to read the labels. See if this makes a difference--if it does, you could try it again in about 6 months, and see if it still is a problem for you.

Phoenix73 Newbie

Thanks for the advice Everyone :)

Was worried that the maize would caused villi damage, and my efforts so far were for nothing. I was definately expecting too much for just 19 day, but atleast there has been an improvement. Couldn't recognise myself in the mirror a month ago, slowly getting there, only taking the magnesium if my face cramps get too bad, which has only happened once since going gluten free.

Gluten free has definately put me in a better mood, and it is the first time in years I am eating more PLUS losing weight, or the bloating is going and the clothes are getting looser.

Symptoms of lyme disease:

Open Original Shared Link

A link to some common coinfections of lyme:

Open Original Shared Link

Hi tailz

Thanks for the links, can tick off alot of those symptoms, I'm from Oz though, Lymes is hardly spoken off here, but will ask my doctor next time i see him.

:)

CarlaB Enthusiast

If you've been eating corn every day that in itself might be the problem. Sometimes there are foods that you can tolerate, but not every day. For me it's peanut butter and fruit juice. If I have them once or sometimes twice per week I'm fine, but more than that and it makes me sick. You might try cutting it out for while, then reintroduce it after a few months of feeling better, but never go back to eating it every day.

Then again, there's the possibility that you are completely intolerant to it and can never eat it. You will find out when you add it back.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Hello Tailz:

There is ZERO scientific evidence that Lyme Disease can cause celiac disease, which is a genetically-based disorder. It might be time for a new doctor.

Take care,

Scott

RiceGuy Collaborator

Although I can eat corn, I do find I react too much if it's not organically grown corn. I found out that GMO corn was "accidentally" mixed into the human food supply a few years ago, which is when I first began seeing some reaction. The GMO corn is supposed to be used only as animal feed, because tests showed too many people had allergic reactions to it. The thing is, once this modified corn is being grown, they can't stop the pollen from being spread to neighboring fields. In fact, there was a farmer who wasn't growing the GMO variety, but somehow there was some of it discovered in his field anyway. As incredible as it seems, the company that holds the patent on that variety sued the farmer for growing their corn without purchasing seeds from them! Logic says the farmer should sue the company for ruining his crop, but no. The company won the suit too.

Anyway, I find I react far worse to the "extra sweet" varieties, but most if not all of the typical brands cause some reaction. So maybe if you can buy it certified organic, or from a small local grower, it might not present the same problem. If you've become sensitive to it, then that's a different story though.

tailz: Given your response, you may be interested in looking up the connection between Open Original Shared Link.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

I believe that it is definitely possible that Lyme disease can trigger active celiac disease. But I don't believe it can actually CAUSE it.

Definite genes have been identified that predispose you for celiac disease and gluten intolerance. Lyme disease has no affiliation to any specific genes, but rather, it is caused by a pathogen. Once Lyme disease is found, it can be cured with various antibiotics. No such cure is possible for celiac disease, as you can't eradicate genes by anything. You've got them for life.

Mind you, since the symptoms for Lyme disease include diarrhea and constipation, as well as other celiac disease symptoms, I think it is valid to be tested for Lyme, if you haven't been officially diagnosed with celiac disease, and eliminating gluten has not caused a significant improvement in symptoms within a few weeks of starting the gluten-free diet.

Ursa Major Collaborator
Ursula...maybe you'll get better if you do what I'm going to do. I'm going to go back to the Bible and only eat the things they ate in the way they ate them (non-GMO)...no preservatives...no dyes...no pesticides...or as close to this as I can get...

Actually, that is already the way I eat. As for GM foods, I find that I can't tolerate any lectins, which include all grains, GM or not, as well as all dairy, eggs, legumes and nightshades.

I am feeling much better, but the fatigue is still extreme, and is obviously NOT improving on the diet I am on right now. My joint and muscle pain, as well as the awful diarrhea, stomach and bowel cramps and other symptoms have gone away. But I am getting more exhausted by the day, it seems.

As for twins not always both having celiac disease: Even if they have the genes that predispose them to it, and some traumatic event has triggered it to be active in one of them, while nothing like that has happened to the other twin, then you have the occurrence of one twin being diagnosed with celiac disease, and not the other. Unless they have both been tested for whether they both carry the genes for celiac disease or not, just looking at whether both have ACTIVE celiac disease is meaningless, in my opinion, when it comes to those studies.

But your posts on Lyme Disease have made me wonder if maybe I have that as well. I have about 98% of the possible symptoms. Many are symptoms of celiac disease as well, and a lot of them fit burned out adrenals, too. Of course, adrenal fatigue can be caused by stress, celiac disease or Lyme Disease, so it could possibly be celiac disease, Lyme Disease AND adrenal fatigue.

I've made an appointment with a naturopath, and will mention all the possibilities and demand to be tested for everything, including Lyme Disease (and NOT the Elisa test). I really, really hope that finally I'll get it all figured out, so I can get completely well (I have no clue what that is like, as I've been ill all my life, and have never had any energy, even as a child).

Ursa Major Collaborator

I can't tolerate coconut, because it's high in salicylates. I can't tolerate tapioca, and buckwheat only in limited amounts, as I can't seem to tolerate any starches very well.

As I've pointed out elsewhere (read Genesis 9, 2-4), God told Noah to eat meat. Even though before the flood, eating meat was not permitted, afterwards things were so different, that I think people couldn't get all the nutrients they needed from only plant food any more, and needed meat to be healthy.

I eat meat (including fish, but excluding pork, it doesn't agree with me) and certain vegetables for every meal. If I don't eat protein with every meal, my energy level drops even more. I can't eat eggs or any dairy, or legumes.

Since I am intolerant to salicylates, my diet would be more restricted than almost everybody elses here. Unless you have the same problem, my diet wouldn't be necessary for you. Especially because I can't tolerate any herbs or spices (my only seasoning is sea salt), or most fruits (all I can safely eat is peeled pears and peeled golden delicious apples in moderation, as in maybe one every few days).

Archived