34 replies to this topic

#16 KrisT

KrisT

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:39 AM

Front St is in the Brewery district, lots of bars. German Village is an interesting place, near the hospital. It has million dollar renovated mansions along with really trashy places that haven't been renovated yet. Overall it is a really neat place that is currently a hot spot as it gets cleaned up. I would reccomend that you look a little further north on High St. to the Hilton or the Hampton Inn, but I don't know their rates. Another way to save money would be to stay in a suburb like Pickerington, which has a few hotels right on the freeway and is only 10-15 minutes away.
[font=Book Antiqua][color=#993399]
1994 implanted with saline filled breast impalnts
1995 began getting sick with multiple symptoms, syndromes, etc. spent the next 10 years chronically ill
2005 found out I had faulty saline breast implants and was internally poisoned
2005 had implants properly removed with immediate 80% recovery of most symptoms
6/2006 started gluten free diet when digestive problems were not healing, even after agressively fighting candidiasis
8/2006 Enterolab results Fecal Antigliadin IgA 12 (Normal Range <10 Units)

"There are a million right ways and only one wrong way. It is wrong to think that your way is the only right way!"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:30 AM

Kris

thanks for the info. I thought there was a hampton Inn on Front St. I hope I get time to check-out the German thing....

We should hit Columbus around noon Friday......

mamaw

#18 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:35 AM

Hello!

I live in Columbus and would also really love to hear about the local eateries! Been here 4 years and my biggest complaint is that there is very little in the way of good food!

I've heard of the Raisin Rack but never been. Is their gluten-free section any better than Wild oats or Whole Foods?

I'm going to do the best I can to save up money for all the good shopping! I can see my husband's eyes rolling as I type this! LOL

As far as I know, there isn't any Eddie Bauer outlet, but Columbus is headquarters for all of Les Wexners stores. (ie Gap, Banana Republic, Limited, Victoria Secret) All of those headquarters have local wharehouses that occassionally have employee sales, but I've not heard of a public outlet.

I shop at the Raisin Rack at least once per week and they have a wonderful selection of gluten-free products. They are off of Schrock Rd. in Westerville. They will be moving to a larger location across the street in November. :) Oh, you can also order online at their website and then just go in and pick up your order....very nice!!!! :)
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#19 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:43 AM

odcdinah: I was just talking to my DH on the telephone, told him about your post with regard to the Eddie Bauer outlet!! We were howling laughing! :lol: :lol:

We have decided that we're coming up Friday, Nov. 3 in order to hit the Eddie Bauer place -- that way we won't want to ditch the conference early when we really need to be there! Sounds like it is really going to be a good conference. Am looking forward to finding new foods, as well. Getting kind of tired of Peanut Butter Panda Puffs . . . .

Hey Chris . . . help me out here! PM or e-mail me as to where we should stay, where we should eat, etc. You are HIGHLY informed with regard to things of that nature (I know, I've eaten with you -- you speak with the entire staff, including the head chef -- how many people actually get to do that???) Wish you were going to be in Columbus then . . . would love to have dinner with you again.

So, guys, looks like it's a "go" for me and my DH! Will see you there!

Lynne

mamaw: Thanks for the heads up about the freezer . . . . we're going to take a large cooler & dry ice packets. Didn't realize that there would be so many goodies to purchase. Thank you, too, for telling me about how much you spent last year . . . . that way we'll know to budget that into our trip. It's gonna be FUN!!
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#20 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:51 AM

Hello!

I live in Columbus and would also really love to hear about the local eateries! Been here 4 years and my biggest complaint is that there is very little in the way of good food!

I've heard of the Raisin Rack but never been. Is their gluten-free section any better than Wild oats or Whole Foods?

I'm going to do the best I can to save up money for all the good shopping! I can see my husband's eyes rolling as I type this! LOL

As far as I know, there isn't any Eddie Bauer outlet, but Columbus is headquarters for all of Les Wexners stores. (ie Gap, Banana Republic, Limited, Victoria Secret) All of those headquarters have local wharehouses that occassionally have employee sales, but I've not heard of a public outlet.

www.cameronmitchell.com

Cameron Mitchell is a legend in Columbus. He has some of the best restaurants with some of the best food. Check out his website. I know that the Columbus Fish Market and The Ocean Club both have gluten free options. I used to work at the Columbus Fish Market and I ate there like everyday for a year - gotta love the employee discount.

At the Fish Market, you can pick out your fish and have it prepared grilled, steamed, sauteed or even baked. They also have live lobsters and wonderful mashed potatoes and freshly steamed veggies. If you go to the one on Olentangy River Rd., they have more experience with Celiac as I worked at that one (its the one by OSU and Downtown).

The Executive Chef at The Ocean Club in Easton was my old chef at the Fish Market. His name is Jared and he has a couple of dishes on the meny meant for Celiacs ( I think one is a potato crusted halibut with garlic potatoes and greenbeans - I think). Anyway, If you like seafood, go there.

For Burgers, go to Thurman's in the German Village - the place has been there for 50 years and they are the King of the Burger. You can't have the fries and you need to bring your own bread, but it is so good, you can knife and fork it.

For Breakfast go to First Watch - there are a couple around town and the owner's daughter has Celiac Disease so they have lots of gluten-free stuff on the menu. Also, Cap City Diner has a yummy Sunday Brunch (Cameron Mitchell restaurant) -

Vegetarian and Eclectic Eating - Aladdin's Eatery on High Street in Clintonville -- fresh, whole foods and the ingredients are readily available - their stuffed grape leaves are wonderful!

For Steaks, I like Mitchell's Steakhouse (Cemeron Mitchell place), Hyde Park Steakhouse and G'Michaels (all are downtown C-bus).

For any of the Cameron Mitchell restaurants, as long as you call ahead and tell them you have gluten intolerance, they will accomodate you -- Cameron is known for his excellent service and they have always taken care of my Celiac friends.

In addition, many places in Grandview have been accomodating. Sho-ku (sp?) is a nice sushi place in Grandview and the Grandview Cafe has a nice mneu as well.

While you are in Columbus, DO NOT FORGET to try Graeter's Ice Cream - YUMMY YUMMY

Bronco

p.s. There is a Whole Foods in Columbus. Some places sell Bards and New Grist Gluten Free Beer there as well.

As far as lodging is concerned, I like the Hyatt downtown (in the middle of the arena district and walking distance to some places). For the more frugal traveler, the Baymont Inn or the Cross Country Inn on Olentangy River Rd is nice (and down the street from The Fish Market and Cap City Diner)

#21 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:11 AM

New Grist Beer, huh? Last I recall, it got me in a little bit of trouble . . . . However, I DID decide that people move MUCH more quickly for a drunk in a wheelchair!!!!!
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#22 beaglemania

beaglemania

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:34 PM

I'd love to go. The children's hospital is hwere someone smart actually tested me for Celiac Disease. Their really nice up there. Not like all the doctor's I know down here in Flordia.

#23 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

New Grist Beer, huh? Last I recall, it got me in a little bit of trouble . . . . However, I DID decide that people move MUCH more quickly for a drunk in a wheelchair!!!!!

Armetta,

At the Columbus Fish Market, they have drinks called "Pine-Fins"...Basically they take a big glass jug, cut up a ton of pineapples and then pour in Finlandia Vodka. They let it sit for 24-48 hours and then serve it to you on the rock or in a martini glass with a chunk of the pineapple. The great thing is the pineapple and the vodka have been "soaking" each other for so long that the vodka tastes like pineapple and the pineapple tastes like, uhm, well, a "really good pineapple" -- LOL

I forgot to mention earlier that there is a Graeter's Ice Cream across the street from the Whole Foods Market in Upper Arlington - 2 birds with one stone!

Bronco

#24 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:45 PM

Chris -- Tired of doctors is me -- Lynne -- I just put that picture on my avatar because it's so good of you two -- and I'm in the background, which is where I like to stay. The whole pineapple drink thing sounds way too good to pass up . . . . oh no, my one drink every other month rule may be broken!!!
Lynne

#25 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:00 PM

Chris -- Tired of doctors is me -- Lynne -- I just put that picture on my avatar because it's so good of you two -- and I'm in the background, which is where I like to stay. The whole pineapple drink thing sounds way too good to pass up . . . . oh no, my one drink every other month rule may be broken!!!

Oh schnikeys!

I should have known that -- I was thinking to myself -- "Wow, that is great that Armetta is going across the country to C-bus for a conference!" -- LOL -- Where is the darn ostrich anyway???LOL

Lynne,

Here is an article which discusses the Fish Market with regards to celiac disease - not much, but they are trying -- I used to howl at them to do this and they finally did!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9144025/

Feel free to ask/call/email me about any thing related to C-bus...I wish I could come, but I have a wedding in San Diego that weekend! -- Funny story - this is the wedding where I am the Maid of Honor (Seriously)

Oh well, at least I will get to enjoy some grilled fish tacos and fresh sushi again!

#26 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:14 PM

:) Fisher Road and 270?! Isn't that where the JC Penney outlet mall is too?! I used to live in Ohio and went down there a lot. Dh is an Ohio State Alumni-(was that game great or what last Saturday?) Thurman's in the German Village --Dh says the best burgers and Graeters ice cream omg the best. There is some pretty great ice cream in Ohio. I think it is Green's that is really good in Cincinnati area. Maybe you get that in KY and IN too? ( Oh, how I miss that dairy, lol.) I think there is a Fairfield Inn near the Fisher Road and 270 area. There are a couple of places to stay near there. Have a great time everyone, and bring back some good info. :)
Forgot to ask this-I used to go to a place where they had turtle soup that was so incredible-Don't know if it was gluten-free. Anyone know the name of a place in German village that has great turtle soup? I have brain fog I guess right now.

#27 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:34 PM

Bronco
Sorry you can't make Columbus but it sounds like a good time in Ca. for you. Thanks for all the tips...........You'll have to post a maid of honor pic when you get back...........
And by the way did you lead Lynne astray in Vegas????

Lynne , I'll be on the look-out for a flying wheelchair....................ANd yes, bring $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and a cooler is good. You may want to hit the Raisin Rack in Westerville too............

I have been pushing or trying to push Everybody Eats to come too. Bruce is to let me know soon so he says...If you haven't tried his crusty rolls & baguettes yet you will be surprised. They are to die for.Check out their website.

Sorry I won't be able to drink with you ----1 beer and I'm done for!!!! But I would like to taste the gluten-free beer.I'll have to be very careful if I do because I'll be on the floor and get run over by a wheelchair....... I don't think one can get arrested from driving a wheelchair when in a tipsy state---can they? Hope to meet you.

mamaw

laughter is good for the soul....

#28 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:03 PM

If you could get arrested for wheeling under the influence, I'd still be in Vegas!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :ph34r:

Chris -- no problem with regard to the faux pas! The Ostrich is hanging around -- We've been calling back & forth, but I've been sick for a few days and I'm guessing she has, too. Will have to give her a call tomorrow and see what kind of trouble we can stir up! I DO want to hear about the Maid of Honor thing . . . I vaguely recall that story . . . but seriously -- tell me that you DON'T have to wear a dress. That would just be WRONG, Okay??? Also, I need pictures . . . even if you ARE in a dress . . . .
Lynne

#29 odcdinah

odcdinah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:48 AM

Lynne, oops, was there a typo in my post about Eddie Bauer? Not sure why you were howling?
By the way, on Saturday morning and early afternoons, the outlet runs these "blue light" type of specials. Ex - "for the next 30 minutes, all women's jeans are $6.99 etc. Happy shopping!

[quote name='tiredofdoctors!!!' post='202269' date='Sep 14 2006, 02:43 PM']
odcdinah: I was just talking to my DH on the telephone, told him about your post with regard to the Eddie Bauer outlet!! We were howling laughing! :lol: :lol:

We have decided that we're coming up Friday, Nov. 3 in order to hit the Eddie Bauer place -- that way we won't want to ditch the conference early when we really need to be there! Sounds like it is really going to be a good conference. Am looking forward to finding new foods, as well. Getting kind of tired of Peanut Butter Panda Puffs . . . .

Hey Chris . . . help me out here! PM or e-mail me as to where we should stay, where we should eat, etc. You are HIGHLY informed with regard to things of that nature (I know, I've eaten with you -- you speak with the entire staff, including the head chef -- how many people actually get to do that???) Wish you were going to be in Columbus then . . . would love to have dinner with you again.

So, guys, looks like it's a "go" for me and my DH! Will see you there!

Lynne

mamaw: Thanks for the heads up about the freezer . . . . we're going to take a large cooler & dry ice packets. Didn't realize that there would be so many goodies to purchase. Thank you, too, for telling me about how much you spent last year . . . . that way we'll know to budget that into our trip. It's gonna be FUN!!
[/quote]

JCPenney outlet is on the opposite side of town - far east, at Brice and 270. Unfortunately, I live way too close to there!

quote name='Robbin' date='Sep 14 2006, 09:14 PM' post='202475']
:) Fisher Road and 270?! Isn't that where the JC Penney outlet mall is too?! I used to live in Ohio and went down there a lot. Dh is an Ohio State Alumni-(was that game great or what last Saturday?) Thurman's in the German Village --Dh says the best burgers and Graeters ice cream omg the best. There is some pretty great ice cream in Ohio. I think it is Green's that is really good in Cincinnati area. Maybe you get that in KY and IN too? ( Oh, how I miss that dairy, lol.) I think there is a Fairfield Inn near the Fisher Road and 270 area. There are a couple of places to stay near there. Have a great time everyone, and bring back some good info. :)
Forgot to ask this-I used to go to a place where they had turtle soup that was so incredible-Don't know if it was gluten-free. Anyone know the name of a place in German village that has great turtle soup? I have brain fog I guess right now.
[/quote]
[color=#3333FF]

Diagnosed 4/06 by positive biopsy and tissue transglutamase after only 4 months of being sick.
Recently married (July, 06) to a wonderfully supportive, non-celiac husband!

#30 casnco

casnco

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:55 AM

Hello!

KrisT:
If you haven't gone to the Raisin Rack I have to recommend HIGHLY you drive there as fast as you can! They have a much better selection than any of the chain organic/health food stores. The person who does their ordering is a retired physician. She also is Celiac. There is an entire isle of only gluten-free foods. A wonderful freezer section of only gluten-free foods. It is easy to navigate and there are more options there than anywhere I have shopped. I live in Bellefontaine. It is an hour from the Raisin Rack and I make a special trip in to shop for my food at least once a month. I wish I lived closer! I tell everyone about their store. Good luck shopping and let me know how you like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: