Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gf & Pregnancy

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I am new to this website. Actually I am new to this disease called celiac disease. I have been diagnosed for about 4 mo. now and my husband and I want to try for our third child. I am scared to death. I have read some of the postings and it has helped ease some fear. I also have hypothyroidism. Meds take care of that problem. I don't understand why I am not underweight with celiac disease. I hardly eat anything and still struggle with weight issues. What is going on? I recently had a 2nd. biopsy and it still showed traces of gluten. Better but still there. Should I even be considering pregnancy. I have so many questions. :ph34r:

Ads by Google:

Hi! I'm also new at this. Tho I'm still undiagnosed, It's been about 7 mos or so that I've been gluten free and am 5 1/2 mos pregnant with my first. I didn't know about all the risks to the baby before I became pg. It's been scary for me, wondering if the baby is getting all the nutrients that she/ he needs. I've read that Celiacs are often deficient in calcium, folic acid and iron- that really freaked me out. But so far so good. I seem to be progressing normally. I've have had no problems other than trying to eat gluten free with morning sickness- ugh. And getting just a tiny bit of gluten makes me even more nauseas. Anyway, I would say get used to the diet a little more first and make sure you're not deficient in any vitamins or minerals first. And of course talk to your Dr. but definitely have another baby. If you don't have a history of miscarriages you'll do fine, I'm sure. Just be informed ahead of time. Have you learned to bake yet? I know I crave all the foods I can't eat- and if I had known how to bake gluten-free- the breads and goodies- I probably would have felt much less deprived and be able to fill up more. The first few months I couldn't stand meat or veggies- so carbs were my thing- but difficult to get being gluten-free.

I don't know about the weight thing- it was instant for me. I lost 25 lbs in just a couple of months and I'm still losing- tho baby is getting bigger right on schedule. Anyway, good luck!

Beccathorn

Have you gone completely gluten-free? If not, don't get pregnant until you have done so. And even if you have gone completely gluten-free, four months isn't enough time to heal completely. I'd still wait a little. The main thing is you want to make sure you are fully absorbing nutrients so that the baby is getting all it needs.

The weight thing is probably your own metabolism and genetics at work. Do you exercise? Even moderate weight lifting and walking can make a big difference. In addition, most people gain weight after they go gluten-free because they start absorbing all those calories they didn't absorb before. This is not true for all, but I would say it is for most. I gained 70 pounds in two years (30 pounds I needed; I've lost another 30; so there's still an extra 10 hanging around).

richard

I had no problems concieving, carrying, and delivering my two daughters ages six and four. Last July we found out that I was preg. with our third baby. At twelve wks. I had to have a D&C due to a miscarriage that my body hadn't done on it's own yet. We waited three months and tried again. I miscarried at eight wks.. We decided not to wait and went for it after my next cycle. I miscarried again at five wks. We did the same thing again after the next cycle and I carried to ten wks. and had my fourth miscarriage. I had been occasionally cheating on on the diet and had some unsafe foods. But during my fourth preg. I was very careful not to cheat. I think maybe I hadn't had enough time in between pregnancies to rid my body of the gluten. I have had all of the blood tests and infertility testing and everything came back normal so I am pretty certain it was the gluten although I can't understand why I had my girls so easily when I was on an all gluten diet. I guess it also could be that God is saying now is not the time. :rolleyes:

Best Wishes For You and Your Baby :lol:,Rian