10 replies to this topic

#1 JeanC

JeanC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:04 AM

Does anyone know of a brand of lunch meat that is TOTALLY gluten-free? I have been eating Applegate Farms and Wellshire but I have been having symptoms.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Corkdarrr

Corkdarrr

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:18 AM

Before going gluten-free I always bought Boars Head products. I just checked on their website last week and it said that all their deli meats were gluten-free. So...rock on to that!

-Courtney
Courtney - 25
Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006
Casein-free since October 16, 2006
Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.
Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006
Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993
Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06
Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

#3 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:00 AM

All sara lee pkg meats are okay. i eat deli selects all the time--they are gluten-free. also, hormel has natural selects now that say gluten-free right on the back of the package! could your symptoms be from something else? i have never heard of anyone having issues with those. were they packaged or sliced in the store?
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#4 abc

abc

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

I've noticed that applegate farms declares some of their meats (roasted turkey breast for one) as gluten-free. I don't know if that's the one you've had, but if it is...either you have another trigger or they are incorrect!

I agree with the "avoid" luncheon meats advice. There is so much excess sodium anyway. I know they are convenient...but you could always try roasting a turkey breast at the beginning of the week (or roast beef, chicken etc.) and use it for 3-4 days.

#5 Guest_~jules~_*

Guest_~jules~_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:41 PM

I eat the hormel natural selects, and as a last resort carl budding is gluten free also, I just don't like it very much.... :D

#6 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:54 PM

I eat Oscar Meyer lunch meat. They are owned by Kraft who will clearly label, don't you wish they owned everything?

Hez

#7 JeanC

JeanC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:09 PM

Before going gluten-free I always bought Boars Head products. I just checked on their website last week and it said that all their deli meats were gluten-free. So...rock on to that!

-Courtney

Applegate and Wellshire do label their products as gluten free but they give the same old explanation about how they do a hot water rinse and run it before the meat with gluten. To me that is NOT 100% gluten free. I guess I will have to give it up.

I have been on what I think is a strict gluten free diet for five years but recently have been having problems. I was assuming that "gluten free" meant it was totally safe but that just isn't the case here in MD.

I just totally avoid the lunchmeat thing. After I had some sliced ham that turned out to have some wheat in the outer glazing, that was it for me. I just cook up my own turkey breast or chicken, etc. and slice it up. Perhaps it is overkill, but unless I find some lunchmeat labeled gluten-free clearly, I will avoid it. And, on a side note, I find that making my own is quite a bit more affordable (and it tastes better).

Applegate and Wellshire do label their products as gluten free but they give the same old explanation about how they do a hot water rinse and run it before the meat with gluten. To me that is NOT 100% gluten free. I guess I will have to give it up.

I have been on what I think is a strict gluten free diet for five years but recently have been having problems. I was assuming that "gluten free" meant it was totally safe but that just isn't the case here in MD.

#8 Corkdarrr

Corkdarrr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:02 PM

To clarify, I've never seen Boars Head as prepackaged. It is something I always bought in the deli, freshly sliced.
I got some ham to go on my new gluten-free pita flats this past week, and I haven't had any problems yet. At least nothing major, as so much is screwed up to begin with...
From their website:

Are your products Gluten Free?

All Boar's Head BrandĀ® Meats, Cheeses and Condiments, as well as Hans JurgenĀ® Pickles are Gluten Free.

Of course we encourage you to always read labels, and check for any specific ingredients your doctor may want you to avoid. Always check the labels on store prepared entrees and sandwiches as they may contain gravies and sauces that contain gluten.

If you have any further questions about specific ingredients, or products other than meats, cheeses and condiments, please contact us at our Nutritional Information Line by calling 800-352-6277.
Courtney - 25
Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006
Casein-free since October 16, 2006
Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.
Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006
Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993
Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06
Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

#9 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:07 PM

All Pillar's extensive list is mostly gluten-free (I think one of them aren't). They list every allergen on their site, including sulphites.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#10 amber_rose

amber_rose

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:43 PM

Hormels lunch meat will say Gluten free on the package.

#11 brizzo

brizzo

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 05:12 PM

check outhere you can buy at "regular" grocery stores.......and like said earlier post...it says "gluten-free" on back of package b.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: