This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Enterolab Results, Finally!

hineini

hineini Enthusiast

Hi all. Guess what, I got my tests back!

A) Gluten Sensitivity Stool and Gene Panel Complete *Best test/best value

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 42 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 30 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 158 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 36 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0601

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)

C) Egg, Yeast, and Soy Food Sensitivity Stool Panel

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 6 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 9 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 15 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

-

The interpretation from Dr Fine says that I don't have any malabsorption, yet I am clearly gluten intolerant. (Especially considering that this test was taken 1.5 months after being gluten-free).

I am utterly confused about whether I should consider myself as having Celiac Disease or not.

I am also conflicted about whether the soy result is marked enough for me to avoid soy.

And in denial about the casein - That one's gonna be harder for me than gluten.

About gene testing, the interpretation says:

HLA gene analysis reveals that you have one of the main genes that predisposes to gluten sensitivity and celiac sprue, HLA-DQ2 or HLA-DQ8. Each of your offspring has a 50% chance of receiving this gene from you, and at least one of your parents passed it to you. You also have a non-celiac gene predisposing to gluten sensitivity (DQ1 or DQ3 not subtype 8). Having one celiac gene and one gluten sensitive gene, means that each of your parents, and all of your children (if you have them) will possess at least one copy of a gluten sensitive gene. Having two copies also means there is an even stronger predisposition to gluten sensitivity than having one gene and the resultant immunologic gluten sensitivity or celiac disease may be more severe.

I'm totally confused about the genetic stuff, because when I read the results it looks like I have DQ1 and DQ3, but in the interpretations he says I have DQ2 or DQ8! Did they perhaps give me the wrong interpretation or do I just not know how to read the results?

How do these compare to your results? Anything I should know about my results? Any words of wisdom?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

You are definatly gluten, casein and soy sensitive based on the results. Words of wisdom -- get off the casein!! I went into denial because I was feeling so much better off the gluten, then realized most of my "accidental" glutenings were really from casein.

Someone else will have to help you with the genetic question. Looks to me just like you say, but there are others around here with a better understanding of it.

For the soy, you might go off it till you feel completely better, then try it again. I'm avoiding gluten, dairy, soy and corn till I'm better. I don't actually know if I have a problem with soy and corn, I just figured it was best to avoid foods that people tend to be sensitive to until I feel better.

hineini Enthusiast
You are definatly gluten, casein and soy sensitive based on the results. Words of wisdom -- get off the casein!! I went into denial because I was feeling so much better off the gluten, then realized most of my "accidental" glutenings were really from casein.

Thanks Carla - Ya know, I've been looking forward to seeing these results but now that I see them I'm like "Noooooo!" :o

I'm going to have to just take my time accepting it, and start working on kicking the casein (and myabe the soy) for a while to see what kind of results I get from that. I may start with the casein, and not try to get off soy right away. I don't want to shock my body too much and I don't want to be in deprivation mode.

I've made the switch to gluten-free pretty successfully but I think some really big lifestyle changes are coming down the pike with regards to no dairy, no soy, no gluten-free. A lot more cooking, a lot less eating out, and a lot more creativity in the kitchen.

This sucks :(

CarlaB Enthusiast

Yea, I do fine at home, but I don't really eat out anymore ... and that used to be a big part of our life. It does get easier as you get used to it.

mle-ii Explorer

I'm totally confused about the genetic stuff, because when I read the results it looks like I have DQ1 and DQ3, but in the interpretations he says I have DQ2 or DQ8! Did they perhaps give me the wrong interpretation or do I just not know how to read the results?

You have DQ3 subtype DQ8 (the 0302) and you have DQ1 subtype DQ6 (the 0601). Or in other words DQ8 and DQ6.

aikiducky Apprentice

I'm Gluten-free Casein-free as well, and I can also say that casein gives me a reaction just as bad a gluten. Do go off it!

What you shouldn't do though, is start substituting dairy with a lot of soy milk products! :o

I like coconut milk as a substitute for dairy. Some people use rice milk or almond milk for with their cereal... I don't eat cereal so I mostly like to have creamier milk for baking and smoothies and such.

Pauliina

CarlaB Enthusiast
What you shouldn't do though, is start substituting dairy with a lot of soy milk products! :o

Very good point, especially since you tested sensitive to soy! You don't want to all of a sudden increase something you are sensitive to.

I like Vance's Dari-Free. It's powdered, so I can carry it with me and not worry about it spoiling in the car --then I have it if I stop for coffee somewhere (not right now, I eliminated all bad things to heal faster!!).

I use coconut oil, Ghee (if I really want the taste of butter), and olive oil instead of butter.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mythreesuns Contributor

So true!!!

That's what I did, and now I suspect the soy is what's keeping my diarrhea around.

This weekend I switched to almond milk which is FABULOUS in cereal! It does have some soy lecithin in it, but it's not totally soy so I figure it won't trigger such a reaction.

I can't find the Vance's stuff--it would be HEAVEN to be able to have coffee on the road!

CarlaB Enthusiast

I think you can order Vance's online. I get it at a store, but I believe it's available online, too. It's worth the hassle.

mythreesuns Contributor
I think you can order Vance's online. I get it at a store, but I believe it's available online, too. It's worth the hassle.

Were you the one who posted the link? If so, can you post it again?

I looked it up that day, but thought to myself that I'll just look for it at the store. Well, my local Whole Foods didn't have it (or I couldn't find it) so now I need to find it again. Actually, I guess I can just google it, huh? LOL

Anyway, so do you take the powder with you on the road and just put the powder in your coffee?

CarlaB Enthusiast

I pre-measure the powder into a little container and just carry that. Then I ask for a cup of water at the coffee place and mix it with the water there.

I wasn't the one who posted the link ... googling is a good idea! :rolleyes:

lonewolf Collaborator

Glad you got your results. It's really not so bad being gluten-free, dairy-free and soy-free. I've been doing it for over 10 years and wouldn't trade my good health for a few good tasting foods.

I have question for you though. How long did it take to get your results back? We've been waiting almost 3 weeks for my son's results. The info said we'd get the results back within 3 weeks, but they only have 2 more days to come through with that before I start calling.

CarlaB Enthusiast
Glad you got your results. It's really not so bad being gluten-free, dairy-free and soy-free. I've been doing it for over 10 years and wouldn't trade my good health for a few good tasting foods.

I have question for you though. How long did it take to get your results back? We've been waiting almost 3 weeks for my son's results. The info said we'd get the results back within 3 weeks, but they only have 2 more days to come through with that before I start calling.

Mine took less than two weeks. However, if you look at how many more subscribers there are here now, if Enterolab's business has grown in the same proportion as this message board, it may take a while!! ;)

Nantzie Collaborator

DQ3, subtype 8 is DQ8, which is one of the official "celiac genes". Both of my kids have DQ3, subtype 7.

I also have DQ1, subtype 6 (two copies). If you read my sig line, you'll see that that can cause all sorts of issues all by itself.

Nancy

AndreaB Contributor
Fecal Antigliadin IgA 42 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 30 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 36 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 15 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

I am also conflicted about whether the soy result is marked enough for me to avoid soy.

You are gluten, dairy and soy intolerant. You really will need to go off of all of them. Soy can cause the same damage as gluten with your intestines.

My soy score was the same as yours BTW. I am gluten and soy allergic and intolerant, and dairy allergic but not intolerant. I am also recently gluten, soy and dairy free. I use cashews for cheese sauce, coconut oil (thanks Carla) for more and more things and some olive oil.

Your genes were pointed out by another poster but the 3 subtype 8 is the celiac gene, the 1 subtype 6 is the non celiac.

Dr. Fine can't diagnose with Celiac, only gluten sensitivity which is the term for the spectrum of which celiac is a part. I have one of each gene too (see sig).

hineini Enthusiast

Thank you all so much for your support and help. It's still all sinking in. Glad I have the support of everyone on this board.

AndreaB wrote:

Soy can cause the same damage as gluten with your intestines.

Where did you hear/read this? I"m wondering if there are any studies that show this is true. I haven't seen anything about soy or casein doing the same kind of intestinal damage as gluten... Maybe if I saw something convincing it would help me take these two intolerances more seriously ;-P

jerseyangel Proficient
Were you the one who posted the link? If so, can you post it again?

I looked it up that day, but thought to myself that I'll just look for it at the store. Well, my local Whole Foods didn't have it (or I couldn't find it) so now I need to find it again. Actually, I guess I can just google it, huh? LOL

Anyway, so do you take the powder with you on the road and just put the powder in your coffee?

Toni

Here is the link to Vances--

Open Original Shared Link

You can use the powder as is in coffee or tea, or make a creamer with water. It's good either way!

mle-ii Explorer
AndreaB wrote:

Where did you hear/read this? I"m wondering if there are any studies that show this is true. I haven't seen anything about soy or casein doing the same kind of intestinal damage as gluten... Maybe if I saw something convincing it would help me take these two intolerances more seriously ;-P

I have no proof (yet) but given that Gliadin is a substrate for tissue transglutaminase as is Soy it sure does sound like there is potential.

AndreaB Contributor
Soy Protein Intolerance

Last Updated: March 23, 2005

Author: Stefano Guandalini, MD, Director, University of Chicago Celiac Disease Program, Section Chief of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition; Professor, Department of Pediatrics, University of Chicago Comer Children's Hospital

Coauthor(s): Agostino Nocerino, MD, PhD, Chief of Pediatric Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Udine, Italy

Stefano Guandalini, MD, is a member of the following medical societies: American Gastroenterological Association, European Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Italian Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Italian Society of Pediatrics, and United European Gastroenterology Federation

Editor(s): Jorge Vargas, MD, Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology, University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine; Robert Konop, PharmD, Director, Clinical Account Management, Ancillary Care Management; David Piccoli, MD, Chief, Division of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia; Professor, Department of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine; Steven M Schwarz, MD, FAAP, FACN, Chair, Department of Pediatrics, Long Island College Hospital; Professor of Pediatrics, State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine; and Steven M Altschuler, MD, President and CEO, Children's Hospital Foundation, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Background: Soy-based formulas were introduced in infant nutrition 80 years ago, when their use was recommended for the treatment of summer diarrhea. Seventy years ago, the use of soy-based formulas was extended to the treatment of cow milk intolerance. In the 1970s, use of soy-based formulas became common, and in the 1970s and 1980s, US consumption was around 25% of that of cow milk–based formulas.

In the last few years, interest in soybeans and soybean components has markedly increased, mainly because of the potential influence of soy on the development of heart disease, cancer, kidney disease, osteoporosis, and menopause symptoms. Unfortunately, soy protein formulas (SPFs) can cause allergies and other intolerance reactions. For many years after the first description by Duke in 1934, soy was considered, on the basis of animal studies, a weak sensitizing protein. In the 1960s, several other authors confirmed the potential allergenicity of SPFs.

A higher prevalence of soy intolerance has generally been reported in non–immunoglobulin E (IgE)-associated enterocolitis and enteropathy syndromes. Authorities have failed to reach consensus on the risk of feeding allergic or nonallergic infants with soy protein milks. This divisive clash of opinion is also reflected in the mutually antagonistic stances adopted by 2 important scientific societies, the European Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition (ESPGHAN) and the European Society of Pediatric Allergy and Clinical Immunology (ESPACI). However, the general agreement is that a significant number of children with cow milk protein intolerance develop soy protein intolerance when soy milk is used in dietary management.

Pathophysiology: Two heat-stable globulins (beta-conglycinin, molecular weight (MW) 180,000 and glycinin, MW 320,000) constitute 90% of the pulp-derived proteins. Immunoblotting and competitive enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays have identified a 30 kD glycinin from soybeans that cross-reacts with cow milk caseins and that is constituted by 2 polypeptides (A5 and B3) linked by a disulphide bond. The protein's capacity to bind to the different antibodies relies on the B3 polypeptide. However, other soy proteins can act as allergens in humans. At least 9 proteins with MW ranging from 14,875-54,500 were found to react with human IgE in patients with asthma. Moreover, after enteric digestion, a number of potential antigens are generated at the mucosal surface.

According to some studies in animal models, soy proteins appear to be less sensitizing than cow milk proteins; however, infants with a previous history of cow milk protein intolerance have a greater risk of developing soy protein intolerance. The intestinal mucosa damaged by cow milk proteins may allow increased uptake of the potentially allergenic soy proteins.

Frequency:

In the US: In a national survey of pediatric allergists, the prevalence rate of soy protein allergy was reported to be 1.1%, compared to the 3.4% prevalence rate of cow milk protein allergy.

Internationally: In a prospective study of healthy infants fed soy-based formula, allergic responses to soy were documented in 0.5% of infants.

In a group of 243 children who were born of atopic parents and who received SPF for the first 6 months of life to prevent cow milk allergy, 14 (6%) of the children had positive skin test prick reactions to soy. Only 1 of these 14 children reacted to the double-blind placebo-controlled oral food challenge to soy.

The prevalence of food allergy in patients with atopic dermatitis varies with age and the severity of atopic dermatitis. Different prevalence rates have been reported; however, in most series, 30-40% of the patients received a diagnosis of food allergy. In a study from Italy, a positive radioallergosorbent assay test (RAST) result to soy was found in 25% of children with atopic dermatitis, but a positive challenge test result to soy was elicited in only 3% of the patients. Two other studies documented soy positivity in 5% of 204 patients and 4% of 143 children.

In a group of 93 children with documented IgE-associated cow milk allergy who received soy formula, 14% developed soy allergy.

In 1990, one of the authors reviewed the evidence obtained from 2108 Italian children with proven cow milk protein intolerance and non–IgE-associated enterocolitis and enteropathy syndrome. Forty-seven percent of the patients had to discontinue soy formulas because of intolerance. A higher prevalence was noted in infants younger than 3 months (53%). Thirty-five percent of children older than 1 year developed soy intolerance.

A soy-based formula is often substituted for cow milk in infants recovering from acute gastroenteritis; however, in a previous study that recruited 18 infants with acute gastroenteritis, 3 (16%) of the children developed a clinical reaction to soy challenge and 7 (38%) of the children developed histologic and enzymologic changes after soy challenge.

Mortality/Morbidity: Anaphylactic reactions to soy proteins are extremely rare; however, a population study in Sweden from 1993-1996 reported 4 deaths caused by soy.

Age: The risk of developing soy protein intolerance decreases with age. Among children with cow milk protein intolerance, infants younger than 3 months are at higher risk of developing soy protein intolerance (53%) compared to children older than 1 year (35%).

History: The typical presentation is that of an infant who develops atopic dermatitis or cow milk protein intolerance, which resolves with substitution of a soy formula but recurs 1 or 2 weeks later. Parents may report a recrudescence of dermatitis or GI symptoms. Usually, the infant presents with watery diarrhea and vomiting.

Soy protein intolerance may cause different clinical syndromes, both IgE- and non–IgE-mediated. These reactions include the following:

Rhinitis

Urticaria or angioedema

Asthma

Anaphylaxis (rare)

Atopic dermatitis

Enterocolitis syndrome

Intestinal atrophy (malabsorption syndrome)

Eosinophilic gastroenteritis

Allergic proctocolitis

In susceptible individuals, the ingestion of soy proteins may cause the following:

Protracted diarrhea

Carbohydrate intolerance

Failure to thrive

Some children present with atopic dermatitis as a major symptom; however, most patients present with profuse vomiting and watery diarrhea.

The symptoms usually begin within 2 weeks of the infant's first feeding with soy-derived milk.

Sometimes mucus can be present in the stools, but blood is rarely noted.

Even if frank manifestations of colitis are absent, inflammatory changes in the colonic mucosa are frequently encountered.

The infant is usually dehydrated, and sometimes signs of malabsorption appear.

Small-bowel atrophy has been documented in different studies.

The degree of villous atrophy may be similar to that of celiac disease.

The mucosal damage causes malabsorption, hypoalbuminemia, and failure to thrive.

Some infants can present because of red blood mixed in stools. These infants usually appear healthy, and hematochezia is the only symptom.

Physical: The physical examination findings depend on the clinical picture and the duration of symptoms.

The most frequent presentation is enterocolitis syndrome; therefore, the infant appears dehydrated, with weight loss and sunken eyes.

In case of proctocolitis, the infant usually appears healthy and has normal weight gain.

In the less frequent case of soy-induced enteropathy, the infant has a low weight-to-length ratio and usually presents with dystrophia.

The signs and symptoms are related to the degree of the malnutrition. For example, edema is related to hypoalbuminemia; dermatitis enteropathica, to low zinc level; and rickets, to vitamin D deficiency.

Causes: All soybean proteins and foods currently available for human consumption contain significant amounts of the isoflavones daidzein and genistein, either as the unconjugate form or as different types of glycoside conjugates.

The isoflavones have structural homology to steroidal estrogens; therefore, they are considered to be phytoestrogens, but little is known about their biological activity.

Unquestionably, isoflavone ingestion can elicit biological effects; however, isoflavones and their metabolites have biological properties that are quite separate from classic estrogen action.

Genistein is a potent inhibitor of tyrosine kinases and can interfere with signal transduction pathways.

The threshold intake of dietary estrogens necessary to achieve a biological effect in healthy adults appears to be 30-50 mg/d.

In soy flours and concentrates, isoflavone concentrations are relatively high (0.5-3 mg/g). In soy milk and soy infant formulas, the concentration of isoflavones is lower (0.3-0.5 mg/g), but it is 10,000-fold higher than the concentration found in breast milk. Moreover, the volume intake of these products is sufficient to account for a significantly high dietary intake of isoflavones.

Infants fed soy-based formulas have plasma concentrations of isoflavones that are 3000- to 22,000-fold higher than plasma concentrations of estradiol.

Even if these substances have a weak estrogenic activity compared with estradiol, they could have adverse effects; however, the concerns about the adverse role of phytoestrogens in the first months of life are exclusively theoretical. At this time, the very limited available evidence from adult and infant populations indicates that dietary isoflavones in soy infant formulas do not adversely affect human growth, development, or reproduction.

The results of a study that enrolled 48 children (mean age, 37 mo; range, 7-96 mo) suggest that long-term feeding with SPFs in early life does not produce estrogenlike hormonal effects.

Gastroenteritis

Gastroesophageal Reflux

Ulcerative Colitis

Other Problems to be Considered:

Gastrointestinal bleeding

Celiac disease

Malabsorption syndrome

Infectious colitis

Enteropathy

Cow milk protein intolerance

Autoimmune enteropathy

Intractable diarrhea of infancy

Intestinal infections

Enterocolitis

Intestinal infections

Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Proctocolitis

Anal Fistulas and Fissures

Meckel Diverticulum

Intestinal duplication

Intestinal hemangiomas

Intestinal infections

Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Other Tests:

Soy-induced GI symptoms are usually not IgE-mediated; therefore, both skin tests and determination of specific IgE in serum have a low diagnostic value.

RAST appears to be of poor predictive value. Many children with positive results do not react to challenge tests.

Prick tests have little predictive value. The acidic subunits of glycinin and beta-conglycinin appear to be present in reduced amounts or absent in some commercial soybean skin test extracts tested by sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE) and immunoblotting. As a consequence, these commercial extracts are less sensitive than extracts of soy flour.

The challenge test with soy proteins, after an elimination diet, is the only reliable method of evaluating soy protein intolerance.

Procedures:

Endoscopy: During the workup for differential diagnoses, upper or lower GI endoscopies are often performed in patients with soy protein intolerance. Findings, however, are nonspecific, most commonly minimal, and, at times, even completely unremarkable. Accordingly, and because of the transient nature of the disorder, endoscopies are not considered essential.

Esophagogastroduodenoscopy

Macroscopically, only minimal erythematous changes may be observed.

Microscopically, any area (eg, lower esophagus, gastric body, antrum, duodenum) may or may not show signs of acute inflammation.

In a minority of patients, an infiltrate of eosinophils is observed.

When the clinical presentation is that of a malabsorption syndrome, the duodenal mucosa may have changes (eg, partial villous atrophy, crypt hyperplasia) indistinguishable from those of celiac disease.

Colonoscopy

Macroscopically, changes may vary from minimal erythematous segments, most commonly diffusely involving the distal colon, to severe inflammation with bleeding ulcers and loss of vascular markings.

Microscopically, nonspecific acute inflammatory changes are observed, typically indistinguishable from infectious colitis. Rarely, eosinophils predominate in the lamina propria.

Medical Care: Children affected by soy protein intolerance respond quickly to elimination of soy formula and introduction of a hydrolyzed protein formula.

Drug therapy is not currently a component of the standard of care for soy protein intolerance.

Prognosis:

Soy protein intolerance is similar to other food protein intolerances. Its risk peaks during infancy, and it usually regresses completely during the first 2-3 years of life. Most children, therefore, can resume consumption of soy proteins by age 5 years.

Patient Education:

Use of SPF during the first 3 months of life does not reduce the frequency of cow milk intolerance after the introduction of cow milk formula.

Routine use of SPF has no proven value in the prevention of atopic disease.

Routine use of SPF has no proven value in the prevention or management of infantile colic.

Aggett PJ, Haschke F, Heine W: Comment on antigen-reduced infant formulae. ESPGAN Committee on Nutrition. Acta Paediatr 1993 Mar; 82(3): 314-9[Medline].

American Academy of Pediatrics: Committee on Nutrition. Soy protein- based formulas: recommendations for use in infant feeding. Pediatrics 1998 Jan; 101(1 Pt 1): 148-53[Medline].

Bruno G, Giampietro PG, Del Guercio MJ: Soy allergy is not common in atopic children: a multicenter study. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 1997 Nov; 8(4): 190-3[Medline].

Businco L, Dreborg S, Einarsson R: Hydrolyzed cow's milk formulae. Allergenicity and use in treatment and prevention. An ESPACI position paper. European Society of Pediatric Allergy and Clinical Immunology. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 1993 Aug; 4(3): 101-11[Medline].

Businco L, Bruno G, Giampietro PG: Soy protein for the prevention and treatment of children with cow-milk allergy. Am J Clin Nutr 1998 Dec; 68(6 Suppl): 1447S-1452S[Medline].

Eastham EJ, Lichauco T, Pang K: Antigenicity of infant formulas and the induction of systemic immunological tolerance by oral feeding: cow's milk versus soymilk. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1982; 1(1): 23-8[Medline].

Foucard T, Malmheden Yman I: A study on severe food reactions in Sweden--is soy protein an underestimated cause of food anaphylaxis? Allergy 1999 Mar; 54(3): 261-5[Medline].

Giampietro PG, Ragno V, Daniele S: Soy hypersensitivity in children with food allergy. Ann Allergy 1992 Aug; 69(2): 143-6[Medline].

Halpin TC, Byrne WJ, Ament ME: Colitis, persistent diarrhea, and soy protein intolerance. J Pediatr 1977 Sep; 91(3): 404-7[Medline].

Herian AM, Bush RK, Taylor SL: Protein and allergen content of commercial skin test extracts for soybeans. Clin Exp Allergy 1992 Apr; 22(4): 461-8[Medline].

Iyngkaran N, Yadav M, Looi LM: Effect of soy protein on the small bowel mucosa of young infants recovering from acute gastroenteritis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1988 Jan-Feb; 7(1): 68-75[Medline].

Poley JR, Klein AW: Scanning electron microscopy of soy protein-induced damage of small bowel mucosa in infants. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1983 May; 2(2): 271-87[Medline].

Setchell KD, Zimmer-Nechemias L, Cai J: Exposure of infants to phyto-oestrogens from soy-based infant formula. Lancet 1997 Jul 5; 350(9070): 23-7[Medline].

Setchell KD: Phytoestrogens: the biochemistry, physiology, and implications for human health of soy isoflavones. Am J Clin Nutr 1998 Dec; 68(6 Suppl): 1333S-1346S[Medline].

Zeiger RS, Sampson HA, Bock SA: Soy allergy in infants and children with IgE-associated cow's milk allergy. J Pediatr 1999 May; 134(5): 614-22[Medline].

Zoppi G, Guandalini S: The story of soy formula feeding in infants: a road paved with good intentions. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1999 May; 28(5): 541-3[Medline].

I bolded and colored the key point. If you read the whole article, I don't personally believe that we can eat soy again, just as we can't eat gluten again.

hineini Enthusiast

Fascinating! This also supports what someone told me in the thread about my Enterolab results, which is that I could try reintroducing soy after being casein free for a while to see if I'm still intolerant, since the study talks about damaged mucosa from casein intolerance causing soy sensitivity.

Edited to add: I just read your note at the bottom of your post, and yeah I think people are quite split on this so it's an individual decision I suppose. I will certainly talk to a doctor about it, and I think that it's likely that our bodies are not all identical anyhow.

Thanks...

mythreesuns Contributor
Toni

Here is the link to Vances--

You can use the powder as is in coffee or tea, or make a creamer with water. It's good either way!

Thanks!

The almond milk is tasty in coffee, but a little watery. :blink:

Archived