3 replies to this topic

#1 HeatherMelissa

HeatherMelissa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:13 AM

Are these OK? I don;t have box in front of, but I was just wondering. I guess I don't see why they wouldn't be.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 catfish

catfish

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:07 AM

I asked the same question once, and surprisingly the answer is NO, they are NOT gluten-free.
They have malt flavoring in them and that is a no-no. I found something at my health food store called Honey Frosted Flakes that are gluten-free, they taste exactly like regular frosted corn flakes but with no malt flavoring added and are actually less expensive than the brand name. In fact, almost all mainstream cereals have malt flavoring added, which is why I do so much shopping at "Whole Foods" markets now- they usually try to minimize the number of odd ingredients added to their products.

#3 crc0622

crc0622

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:24 AM

My understanding is that you can't eat anything Kelloggs, and probably not any other "big brand" cereals either (mainly due to cross-contamination, but they add a bunch of other "stuff" too). I have found gluten-free cereals on the gourmet aisle in Publix, and I bought some at a local specialty store, too, before I realized that Publix had some. The corn flakes I bought were organic, in a plastic bag instead of a box. Tastes like regular old corn flakes to me and not really any more expensive!

#4 HeatherMelissa

HeatherMelissa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 07:43 PM

thanks for the info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: