This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Very Strange Reaction

rutland

rutland Enthusiast

OK. This is a mystery. I woke up at 3:30 in the morning in a cold sweat and severe agitation. Ive been doing very well on the gluten-free diet making major improvements so this is very out of character.

Heres what Ive been doing different. If anyone could make sense of this it would be greatly appreaciated. I have an herbalist that I consulted with last week. He put me on a new supplement, Liquid Chloropyll. He told me that it would help heal the lining of my intestines. So I eagerly started taking two teas. daily. After being on it a few days I could tell that I was begining to feel as though my body was going through a detox. This is an awful feeling. Its as though every impurity in my body is being kicked up, and I notice pain in places that werent there before. However Ive been sleeping like a baby so this reaction is completely out of nowhere. The last thing I had to eat was a dry aged steak from whole foods, a sweet potatoe, some spinach, and a glass of wine. I havent had any wine in a while so maybe this is what caused my reaction.

Maybe, the fact that my body is hypersensitve to the detox from the chloropyll, caused me to react this way to alcohol. I am just soooooooooo frusterated because I was doing so well and now this has to happen. It makes me afraid to do anything new.

Any thoughts?

Steph

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I can't have wine and it seemed like it hit me overnight. One day I could drink it and the next I couldn't. Are you sure there are no wheat grasses or barley in your new supplement?

ravenwoodglass Mentor
OK. This is a mystery. I woke up at 3:30 in the morning in a cold sweat and severe agitation. Ive been doing very well on the gluten-free diet making major improvements so this is very out of character.

Heres what Ive been doing different. If anyone could make sense of this it would be greatly appreaciated. I have an herbalist that I consulted with last week. He put me on a new supplement, Liquid Chloropyll. He told me that it would help heal the lining of my intestines. So I eagerly started taking two teas. daily. After being on it a few days I could tell that I was begining to feel as though my body was going through a detox. This is an awful feeling. Its as though every impurity in my body is being kicked up, and I notice pain in places that werent there before. However Ive been sleeping like a baby so this reaction is completely out of nowhere. The last thing I had to eat was a dry aged steak from whole foods, a sweet potatoe, some spinach, and a glass of wine. I havent had any wine in a while so maybe this is what caused my reaction.

Maybe, the fact that my body is hypersensitve to the detox from the chloropyll, caused me to react this way to alcohol. I am just soooooooooo frusterated because I was doing so well and now this has to happen. It makes me afraid to do anything new.

Any thoughts?

Steph

I would drop the Liquid Chlorophyl. Do you know for sure what is in it? Gluten is a delayed reaction so I would be very suspicious of that product.

rutland Enthusiast

It says on the bottle gluten free. So Im sure that gluten is not the culprit. I contacted my herbalist and he told me that no one has ever reacted this way to the chloropyll, he said it is very mild on the body. But I dont believe that because everything I have read so far about it is that this is very potent stuff. I mean, anything that is concentrated would have to be potent, wouldnt it?

I think it was the wine that triggered it, but Im sure that if I were not going through this reaction to chlorophyll this kind of reaction wouldnt have happened.

queenofhearts Explorer

Chlorophyll in itself should not be a problem (unless derived from gluten sources)-- all greens & herbs are rich in chlorophyll so unless you are taking a huge quantity, it's probably not much harder on the body than say, eating a lot of spinach. That said, I would prefer to eat the spinach! I just think we should try to get our nutrients from the whole food whenever possible.

And despite the gluten-free label, I do think it would be worth eliminating the supplement, since you had an unpleasant reaction of some sort when you first took it. It just sounds as though it doesn't agree with you, gluten or no. Possibly it contains something else you are allergic to-- does it list the source?

Again, if I were you, I'd be inclined to do my "detox" by eating lots of greens & other "superfoods" & just keep alcohol & other empty calories out of the diet for a while.

An interesting site with info on chlorophyll & other aspects of nutrition:

Open Original Shared Link

up-late Rookie

I've noticed a strong reaction to red wine after going gluten free. Also some pre mixed drinks have this effect on me, could it be the preservative? maybe that is why some times (some bottles?) are OK, the drink now as opposed to cellar wines contain preservatives. I'm fine to drink strongbow cider though. Red wine makes me really agitated cold and panicky like waking up in the middle of the night wanting to jump out the nearest window agitated, even in small amounts, my sister throws up if she drinks it.

rutland Enthusiast
Chlorophyll in itself should not be a problem (unless derived from gluten sources)-- all greens & herbs are rich in chlorophyll so unless you are taking a huge quantity, it's probably not much harder on the body than say, eating a lot of spinach. That said, I would prefer to eat the spinach! I just think we should try to get our nutrients from the whole food whenever possible.

And despite the gluten-free label, I do think it would be worth eliminating the supplement, since you had an unpleasant reaction of some sort when you first took it. It just sounds as though it doesn't agree with you, gluten or no. Possibly it contains something else you are allergic to-- does it list the source?

Again, if I were you, I'd be inclined to do my "detox" by eating lots of greens & other "superfoods" & just keep alcohol & other empty calories out of the diet for a while.

An interesting site with info on chlorophyll & other aspects of nutrition:

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks, your right about just eating superfoods and wholefoods. Im sure that would be the healthiest. I think that even though the chlorophyll comes from plants and would seem mild, for me, it triggers a detoxification effect. Its concentrated, so who knows how that effects the body. I mean, I was doing fine until I started taking it. But within a week of taking it, I started to feel agitated and irritable :angry: and I know that this is a sign that my body has released toxins. Chlorophyll is supposed to detox the liver. But doesnt the body do that naturally anyway? And who wants to go through a detox if you have to walk around feeling like hell.

I've noticed a strong reaction to red wine after going gluten free. Also some pre mixed drinks have this effect on me, could it be the preservative? maybe that is why some times (some bottles?) are OK, the drink now as opposed to cellar wines contain preservatives. I'm fine to drink strongbow cider though. Red wine makes me really agitated cold and panicky like waking up in the middle of the night wanting to jump out the nearest window agitated, even in small amounts, my sister throws up if she drinks it.

Im glad your telling me this, because Im starting to feel like this stuff is not agreeing with me, although it has in the past. Im not sure if the liquid chlorophyll has anything to do with it the night time cold sweats and aggitation, it could have been just the red wine.

I always loved drinking red wine with my meals, it just seems to go hand and hand. And its supposed to be sooo healthy.

Is it just red wine that you react this way to? can you drink any other alcohols. What is strongbow cider? I really dont drink much but sometimes I feel I need a few drinks to loosen up on social occasions.

For now, at least the next few weeks, Im sticking to water. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

I agree with other posters but wine with stabilizers seem to cause problems for celiacs.esp. if you are sensitive.We make about 10 to 15 different homemade wines which I don't drink for that reason. Also it seems that maybe the chlorphyll doesn't agree with you, maybe too much at a time. but one other thing comes to mind . Have you had your sugar levels checked recently????? This is how many people find out they have diabetes.....Don't want to scare you but please be safe & check out that to be sure that's not a problem.....

blessings & good luck

mamaw

Archived