This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nausea

gaynonna

gaynonna Rookie

Does anyone get nauseated when inadvertently ingesting gluten? I have nausea that comes and goes, yet at the same time I can easily eat. Weird

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

covsooze Enthusiast

Yes! Before being diagnosed, I was feeling nauseous so often, without it preventing me eating as you say, that I did a pregnancy test! Definitely a symptom of glutening.

gaynonna Rookie

I have been sooo careful (but maybe not careful enough!) - Had a few days of no nausea, then whammo Can you still have nausea while you are healing?

jknnej Collaborator

I get nauseated a lot and it turns out I have reflux. My doctor told me that while 75% of reflux patients present with heartburn, the other 25% get nausea instead.

So, if you've never been checked for reflux, ask your doctor for some samples of Nexium. If it helps, you definitely have reflux.

jerseyangel Proficient

Nausea was my first symptom, I think. I used to get it all the time.

Since I've been gluten-free, I still get it when glutened--it seems to come with the D.

gaynonna Rookie

Thanks for all of the replys I will check out the gerd thing and try to be VERY careful re gluten

Thanks for all of the replys I will check out the reflux thing and try to be VERY careful re gluten

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I also get very nauseous when I have ingested gluten. I also get D. But I can also be hungry at the same time. Its really weird, but I just accept it as a symptom of glutening

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jesscarmel Enthusiast
I have been sooo careful (but maybe not careful enough!) - Had a few days of no nausea, then whammo Can you still have nausea while you are healing?

i get nauseous alot. its been better since i ve been gluten free, but the first few months of gluten-free i was nauseous all the time! it was awful. i taek gravol (over teh counter canadaian med) i think dramamine is the american equivalent. the my dr. prescribed me reglan which works pretty well. i keep both on hand in case i get nauseous. also sometimes i wake up nausesous so i drink ginger aid tea by traditional medicinals which works pretty well. i also eat altoids when i feel taht way.

hope that helps!!

Jess

num1habsfan Rising Star

Ever since I've been sick with Celiac I've had bad nausea issues, and for me even being totally gluten-free I still get it pretty bad! And of course it gets worse anytime I come in contact with gluten..

~ lisa ~

jayhawkmom Enthusiast
I get nauseated a lot and it turns out I have reflux. My doctor told me that while 75% of reflux patients present with heartburn, the other 25% get nausea instead.

That is VERY interesting!!!! I posted in another topic about my "lack of" GERD symptoms. But, I'm always and forever dealing with nausea issues. I had no idea!!! I'm taking Prevacid, currently. And, I'm not as nauseated anymore, but I assumed it was a gluten issue. Not a reflux issue. Wow!

mellajane Explorer

Nausea is the story of my life.... It has played a huge role in my wheat allergy..I seriously think if you are allergic to wheat you tend to have more stomach issues. I have been sick a very long time and as a result of vomitting I have a heatal hernia and its a lot like reflux but much worse. Once I start vomitting I trigger that hernia and am sick for days. Since being wheat/gluten free I have not had those symptoms unless I have eaten something. It sometimes has a delayed effect.

Does anyone get nauseated when inadvertently ingesting gluten? I have nausea that comes and goes, yet at the same time I can easily eat. Weird
bluejeangirl Contributor

The one thing that I keep trying hoping to find one that doesn't nauseate me is B-vitamins. It gets me everytime. They say gluten free but still there is something in that vit. that gets me sick even smelling it.

I won't try anymore. I've bought so many brands. I just have to get them thru foods.

I also got nauseated drinking half a beer thinking it wasn't made from wheat. I thought barley was ok with me. Apparently not.

Live and learn.

ÆON Newbie

I get horribly nauseated. The last time I got glutened I spent about 6 hours feeling like I had food poisoning.

Usually a couple of acetaminophen makes it better but I was too nauseous to swallow them.

Some people were saying that they get hungry and nauseous (odd combination) but I don't get that, I can't even think about food.

Guest Mtndog

Oh yeah- I get violently nauseous when glutened- usually my first symptom!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gaynonna Rookie

Thanks for all of your posts. Ya'll make me feel like I am not alone. I tried some Prilosec OTC yesterday and it seems to have helped. I have tested negative to the bug that causes stomach ulcers but I guess it could be another symptom of wheat intolerance. I hate the thought of having to take medicine the rest of my life. I would rather find some alternative solution, but if I can't oh well. I still don't know if I get nauseated b/c of wheat intolerance or some other issue. I have not been diagnosed but happened upon a book at the library re celiac and had virtually all of the symptoms so I eliminated wheat from my diet. It seemed to really help at first and then the nausea started. I think maybe I glutened myself, but I am not sure. So many things I don't know! It drives me nuts

jmengert Enthusiast

The nausea could be continuing as your body adjusts to the diet. Nausea was (and now still is if I'm glutened) a symptom of mine. It got much better after going gluten-free, and then about 2-3 months after being gluten-free, I was nauseous for a straight month--it was awful. I couldn't eat and just felt miserable most of the time. Then, it went away. Now, nearly 2 years gluten-free, it comes and goes, but never like it was after I went gluten-free. So, maybe it's just your body adjusting, and hopefully it will go away. I've found that pure peppermint really helps, so I eat a lot (or drink it in tea) when I'm nauseous.

Good luck! I hope you feel better soon.

NoGluGirl Contributor
Thanks for all of your posts. Ya'll make me feel like I am not alone. I tried some Prilosec OTC yesterday and it seems to have helped. I have tested negative to the bug that causes stomach ulcers but I guess it could be another symptom of wheat intolerance. I hate the thought of having to take medicine the rest of my life. I would rather find some alternative solution, but if I can't oh well. I still don't know if I get nauseated b/c of wheat intolerance or some other issue. I have not been diagnosed but happened upon a book at the library re celiac and had virtually all of the symptoms so I eliminated wheat from my diet. It seemed to really help at first and then the nausea started. I think maybe I glutened myself, but I am not sure. So many things I don't know! It drives me nuts

Dear Gaynonna,

I have dealt with debilitating nausea for years. Sometimes I got dry heaves so bad, it made my whole body hurt! Since going gluten-free, I have rough times, but I could have a yeast overgrowth in my system as well. I have been on numerous antibiotics over the years. The nausea is like morning sickness, but I knew that was not it, because I am a virgin! Of course, doctors think all women my age are sluts. That is so annoying. Anyway, I know what you mean. I am gluten intolerant, and must be extremely careful. I tested negative for Celiac, but found I do not tolerate gluten at all. I have reflux bad too, and the Prilosec OTC helps twice a day. Now, since going gluten-free, not only have I been able to lose inches in my hips and waist, but the reflux has gotten better. There were times it was so bad, I would practically sleep sitting straight up. You could be nauseated too due to the fact that you may be experiencing withdrawal from the wheat. It is common to be addicted to what you are allergic too. If that is the case, after you have avoided it long enough, it should go away. I take Phenergan when my nausea is too much to handle. It has a generic too, Promethazine. It is also gluten-free. I saw it on the okay list for meds.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl B)

rinne Apprentice

I have been nauseaus for a year now and gluten free since the beginning of May, I am no longer convinced that my nausea is solely related to gluten intolerance. I am still looking for answers.

NoGluGirl Contributor
I have been nauseaus for a year now and gluten free since the beginning of May, I am no longer convinced that my nausea is solely related to gluten intolerance. I am still looking for answers.

Dear rinne,

Have you stopped eating dairy? If not, that may be the trouble. Celiacs and gluten intolerant individuals often are sensitive to casien, a milk protein. It makes me a little gassy, but does not do near the damage gluten does for me. This varies from person to person.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

gaynonna Rookie

I think dairy may be part of the problem. Since I went gluten-free I have drastically reduced my dairy consuption but still occassionaly have milk. Cheese doesn't seem to bother me tho. I had a latte this morning and promptly got nauseated. It lasted about 5 hours. UGH I love lattes, but not that much. I am still not sure, but will dedicate several days dairy free and see what happens. I started taking prilosec (for nausea) and it seems to help. I think I am just beginning to learn how little it takes (gluten) to make me feel awful. Thanks for input

NoGluGirl Contributor
I think dairy may be part of the problem. Since I went gluten-free I have drastically reduced my dairy consuption but still occassionaly have milk. Cheese doesn't seem to bother me tho. I had a latte this morning and promptly got nauseated. It lasted about 5 hours. UGH I love lattes, but not that much. I am still not sure, but will dedicate several days dairy free and see what happens. I started taking prilosec (for nausea) and it seems to help. I think I am just beginning to learn how little it takes (gluten) to make me feel awful. Thanks for input

Dear gaynonna,

The casien in the dairy could be the trouble. The cheese could be bothering you, but you do not realize it. Delayed reactions with gluten intolerance is not uncommon, nor is it with other food sensitivities and allergies. Lattes have milk. Just a touch of the stuff is near deadly for many people. Gluten effects me much worse than dairy. I still try to avoid the dairy as well most of the time. Each person's body is different. I think you can get soy lattes. Check it out. Places like Starbucks are more health conscious. I hope this helps. B)

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Stagiary Newbie

I have been gluten free for six weeks, and I am mildly naseated every morning. (Yes, I'm sure I'm not pregnant.) It comes and goes from the time I get up until a hour or so after I get to work. I can eat breakfast without gagging. By lunchtime, I'm fine. I was nauseated at random intervals before going gluten free, but now it's very regular.

I get very nauseated when I try to workout. I never vomit, but I feel like I'm going to explode. Until that subsides, I'll just walk instead of doing a real workout. This symptom is new since I went gluten free.

Last week, I could swear that my friends' beer breath nausated me. The jury is still out on that one. But I felt bad while standing in the bar drinking my water, and I felt better when I left. LOL.

jesscarmel Enthusiast
I have been gluten free for six weeks, and I am mildly naseated every morning. (Yes, I'm sure I'm not pregnant.) It comes and goes from the time I get up until a hour or so after I get to work. I can eat breakfast without gagging. By lunchtime, I'm fine. I was nauseated at random intervals before going gluten free, but now it's very regular.

I get very nauseated when I try to workout. I never vomit, but I feel like I'm going to explode. Until that subsides, I'll just walk instead of doing a real workout. This symptom is new since I went gluten free.

Last week, I could swear that my friends' beer breath nausated me. The jury is still out on that one. But I felt bad while standing in the bar drinking my water, and I felt better when I left. LOL.

hey

try drinking ginger tea in the morning. i often wake up nauseous and it really helps!

jess

jknnej Collaborator

Remember that side effects of Prilosic can be nausea as well. I took that before Nexium and it made me horribly worse and more nauseated than I already was. I stopped the Prilosec and felt wonderful in comparison.

when I am really feeling sick I take Phenegran or Zofran, two prescription nausea meds, and they clear it up within minutes.

aikiducky Apprentice

I never used to feel nauseous until I went gluten free, then for the first... about six months I'd say, I had nausea off and on that didn't seem to have any pattern, it just came and went on it's own. After the first six months I've only had it when I get glutened or caseined. :) So I figure in my case it had to do with the healing process...

Two home remedies that helped me were hot water or tea with cardamom, or the same with fresh ginger. Or both ginger and cardamom. It's yummy, too.

Pauliina

Archived