15 replies to this topic

#1 TinkerbellSwt

TinkerbellSwt

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:46 AM

Today I was kinda watching the Food Network ( I watch it all day ) its always on in the backround. I kinda keep one ear on whats on the tv and whats going on in my house.

Rachel was on tv today at her usual time here 230 pm. She was making one of her famous stoups. I dont even know which one it was.

She always talks about the broth that you can buy in the stores already made for a great time saver.
Today, however, she was talking about her beef broth and she mentioned that the broth was gluten free!

I have never heard her or anyone else on the Food Network do that. I was so impressed!! It seems we are making a difference with our letters and such.

I just had to share this!! :)
Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05
son born severly premature due to
celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_~jules~_*

Guest_~jules~_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:01 AM

Thats great! I am hoping as the years pass that celiac will be more recognized. So far this group is about the only thing thats making me feel normal lately, (recently diagnosed). Although I was in wendy's the other day, while waiting at the counter for my food a woman came in and started ordering the bunless burger, saying she had allergies, so on and so on. It was nice to see that I'm not the only person making some poor teenager behind the counter at wendy's life hell. :blink: I'm hoping as someone mentioned before here that rachael ray or someone would do a gluten free segment on their show, that would be wonderful!

#3 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:48 AM

Nice Rachel! Now--let's get that gluten-free show going !! :rolleyes:
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#4 BamBam

BamBam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:29 PM

Nice Rachel! Now--let's get that gluten-free show going !! :rolleyes:

I watch Rachel Ray all the time and yes, she does mention when certain ingredients are gluten free, and it usually the chicken and beef broths that she uses. Occasionally she'll mention that a veggie dish is gluten free or something like that. I like her show.

BamBam
Montana
Self-diagnosed after many tests and no results to feel better
Gluten Free since 8-6-2005
Lactose free for many years
Casein Free since 02/14/06

#5 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 05:10 PM

I normally can't stand her, especially on her show $40 a day; I mean c'mon, you can't have an orgasm over every morsel you put in your mouth. But I may have to change my mind on her. <_<
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#6 TinkerbellSwt

TinkerbellSwt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:25 PM

OMG jillian! I feel the same way about that show. She absolutely loves everything she eats. My b/f said what would she do if the dish was gross? spit it out? she does that on her regular show too.. 30 minute meals.
Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05
son born severly premature due to
celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

#7 phakephur

phakephur

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:03 PM

I normally can't stand her, especially on her show $40 a day; I mean c'mon, you can't have an orgasm over every morsel you put in your mouth. But I may have to change my mind on her. <_<

yeah, Rachel Ray eats on $1200 a month. I despise shows about eating out. Anthony Bourdain in particular - chef, food critic, and ugly American. I guess he maintains that refined palate by smoking 3 packs a day.

#8 Guest_~jules~_*

Guest_~jules~_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:53 PM

I watched her show yesterday I think it was with oprah on it. She is annoying isn't she? She was a nervous wreck though, and trying way too hard, I had to change the channel I couldn't stand to watch someone crack so badly!

#9 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:59 PM

I watched her new talk show for the first time today and she definitely seemed way nervous, but she seemed to do better as the show went on. By the end of the show, I was enjoying it. I like the format. I like that she still does a lot of food stuff, but isn't boxed into something like the 30 minutes or the $40 and I like that she does other fun things. I thought the CSI set visit was hilarious. I've always been lukewarm on her cooking shows, but I think I'll watch it.

Remember what a mess Dr. Phil was the first couple weeks on his show? I didn't think he would make it past the first season.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#10 abc

abc

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:35 PM

Has anyone ever noticed that on $40 a day she totally shortchanges the tip ALL THE TIME? She bugs me...so I have to find fault with her. Also, I find it odd that she mentions her broths are gluten-free as all of her products are "made up". I saw on "FOOD NETWORK UNWRAPPED" (I watch too much tv, okay) that she doesn't advertise the products she actually uses so there is someone who is employed to create and design the wrapping and packaging for all her products (to cover the real product). So...is she implying all broths are gluten-free? I think its actually not as great as it may seem!

#11 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:13 PM

$40.00 a day? Am I reading that right? $40.00 a week is what I spend, can I have my own show!! :D :D :D
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

#12 Guest_~jules~_*

Guest_~jules~_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:18 PM

$40.00 a day? Am I reading that right? $40.00 a week is what I spend, can I have my own show!! :D :D :D

lol, ya me too...You know the episode I watched she really was just spazing out at first with her nervousness, it was just sad to watch! I did start to enjoy it after oprah and her sat down to chat and eat the food they made. If you think about it though, she had her first week on her new talkshow, and the big O was her guest that day, I would have been nervous too.

#13 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:19 AM

Has anyone ever noticed that on $40 a day she totally shortchanges the tip ALL THE TIME? She bugs me...so I have to find fault with her. Also, I find it odd that she mentions her broths are gluten-free as all of her products are "made up". I saw on "FOOD NETWORK UNWRAPPED" (I watch too much tv, okay) that she doesn't advertise the products she actually uses so there is someone who is employed to create and design the wrapping and packaging for all her products (to cover the real product). So...is she implying all broths are gluten-free? I think its actually not as great as it may seem!

I too saw a show where she mentioned the broth is gluten free and I was puzzled because she didn't show the brand & that's important to me, of course. It gave me impression too that had I not known, I would have thought that all broths are gluten-free.

I think FN should run a nice half hour show maybe once or twice a week about cooking gluten-free. Basic 101 gluten-free receipes and tips, hints and info like how to avoid cross contamination, etc.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#14 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:40 AM

Well, how idiotic is THAT?????

I can just picture it:

http://img.villageph...660/soupcan.jpg

Rachel: "Here is the broth I used, and the best part is it is gluten free! Aren't I being helpful to the celiac community?"

:rolleyes: <_<
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#15 ehrin

ehrin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:45 AM

I can't stand her. I don't get her appeal at all! My friends love her and will force me to watch her - she doesn't even make anything all that impressive and her cook books stink! :blink:
My name is forgettable, so I invite you to remember this tale." (RG)

Diagnosed with celiac disease, by biopsy, 10/05
T1 diabetic since 2/80

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: