This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Are Some Topics Pinned?

soul04

soul04 Apprentice

Why are some topics pinned? I started a couple new threads, but they're 3 pages back because they're not pinned. How will people see the new threads if they so far back?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kejohe Apprentice

Good question. I thought at first that it had something to do with the last dated posting on the topic, but if that was true, wouldn't they be shuffled to the back so the new ones are at the top of the list? Now that I know that the new data is on the bottom, I check them all, but I am concerned that the new folks will miss a lot on info if they can't see up front where the new posts are.

seeking-wholeness Explorer

I've been using the "Today's Active Topics" feature to double-check that I have read everything, and I always find a few threads that I missed. I'm curious about the "Pinned" topics, too.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I am a moderator here on the board. I am still learning about all the things we can do to help the board, but from what I can see, when a topic is pinned, that is a topic that we(the moderators) feel that is important for you to read. It doesn't mean that it is an old topic.

Think of it as you have a bulliten board, you put a pin in the important things and put them on the board. This is what is going on with the pinned topics. It doesn't necessarily mean the other things are unimportant, just means the pinned ones are a good thing for you to notice.

If I am wrong, Scott please help here!! ha

-Jessica :rolleyes:

soul04 Apprentice

Is there any way to have the default setting show all topics, both pinned and not pinned mixed together, in order of most recent activity?

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Up at the top you will see your user name then it says MY CONTROLS, NEW MESSAGES, VIEW NEW POSTS, and MY ASSISTANT

If you click on "view new posts" when you come to visit the board, it will show you all of the posts that have had activity since you last visited. This saves you going to each and every topic and sifting through what you have and haven't read.

Hope that helps you Soul04!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Scott Adams Grand Master

Hello,

A pinned topic just means that it cannot be moved to a different forum/category. They are pinned by the moderators because they are in the correct forum/category, and this prevents them from being moved.

Take care,

Scott

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
kejohe Apprentice

I don't think I like the pinned topic format anymore. It was ok for a while, but now that we are filling up all the catagories, there are too many new topics that are getting shuffled to the back because they are not pinned.

I posted a recipe in the gluten-free baking, cooking tips & recipes section, but it got shoved to the last page. I realize that if people use the "view new posts" button, they will see it, but consider what happens if they only get online once a week, that list can get very long, and if they don't have time to go through each message at that time, it will no longer show up next time they log on.

It seems to me that it would be an easy thing to change the default to list the topics by date rather than whether or not they have been pinned.

kejohe Apprentice

Sorry, I didn't want to sound so negative, I really do like this new board better than the old one. I also realize the motive behind pinning the topics, but I do hope the format can be changed to make it more sensitive to post date rather than if its pinned.

GFdoc Apprentice

I'm new to this message board system, but it does seem strange to have to scroll thru many pages of info to get to the most recent entries.... Administrators, is there a reason for the order?

Sara

Scott Adams Grand Master

Hello Kathleen and Sara,

Topics need to be pinned by the moderators in order to prevent them from being moved into the wrong categories. It should not affect the date order of the posts. Message boards are normally ordered with the first post, then all responses. After all, the first post is the topic of the entire thread. The board's features make it easy to jump to the newest post, or view all new posts. ;)

I hope this helps.

Take care,

Scott

kejohe Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Scott, but the post are not listed by date, at least not when I log on. Rather they are listed by pinned status, listed by date, then at the end are the unpinned topics, these are in order of most recent post date, but are still listed at the back of the pinned topics, that is my concern. I don't mind the pinned topics, I just want the posts to be listed together, by date not pinned then unpinned. The example I used above for the recipe I posted, is still at the back and has had very few people veiw it, but I doubt it would be so overlooked (it's a brownie recipe :D ) if it were listed up front where it could easily be seen.

Again, this is only opinion on my part, and I realize it is your perogitive to change or keep the board as you see fit, but I will say that I am discouraged from creating new topics because I don't know if they will be seen.

• 4 months later...
tom Contributor

I've been reading much of the forum over the past few days and keep wondering why it seems EVERY topic is pinned.

Never seen that in any other forum.

All the others seem to have no problem w/ showing newest posts at the top, directly under the several pinned "essential info" topics.

• 4 weeks later...
celiac3270 Collaborator

Pinning a topic also shows us moderators that it's been reviewed by another moderator. Some people post multiple posts of the same information, and therefore, a moderator would move multiples posts w/ same info. to the Technical section to be deleted my Scott. Some posts are in the wrong spot, and therefore, need to be moved. Besides giving posts a permanant home, pinning shows that the topic is fine and isn't a duplicate or in the wrong section......that's kind of my take on it. Actually, it doesn't really make a difference to me in terms of posting and reading topics....I just go to "today's active topics" or else a moderator usually pins them relatively quickly..........and the word "pinned" in front of everything doesn't bother me, either..... :)

• 1 month later...
MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Can moved topics not be pinned?

celiac3270 Collaborator

Topics can be moved, then pinned. Topics cannot, however, be pinned, then moved because pinning a topic secures where it will be located on the board.

Knowing that, how come some topics are moved but then not pinned?

celiac3270 Collaborator

Well, I think it's that some moderators move the topic, but then when the move it, they have to go find the topic again to pin it, cause it just takes you to the topic's original forum. Therefore, it can be a pain to find the topic again, once you move it or a mod. might forget. That's why I always make sure I have the topic open twice before moving it.......kinda hard to explain....you have to see the way it works to understand why......basically, a moderator forgets or doesn't bother to pin it after, but they should (and eventually do) get pinned after moving.

Well, as long as they get there then okay. . .

I think my poor unmod mind gets it, lol.

tarnalberry Community Regular

You should still see them if you use the "view new posts" option immediately under the search icon and to the right of your login name.

Archived