arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Multivitamin That's Gluten-free, Dairy-free And Soy-free?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 hineini

hineini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:14 PM

I need a multivitamin, which used to be such an easy thing to find but now that I've learned I shouldn't be eating soy or casein in addition to gluten - Yikes! Is there such a thing as a gluten-free, CF, soy-free multi?

EDITED to add: While I"m at it, I also need to find a calcium citrate / magnesium supplement...

Thanks for your help :)
*Gluten free since 7/06
*Cutting down on soy and dairy since 9/06

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:56 PM

http://www.freedavitamins.com/ I would call to ck, but Freeda sells an SCD vitamin which should be free of what you listed.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#3 hineini

hineini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:31 PM

http://www.freedavitamins.com/ I would call to ck, but Freeda sells an SCD vitamin which should be free of what you listed.

Thanks so much - And they're vegetarian and kosher! Wow. I will definitely bookmark that site.

They don't claim to be soy-free but two out of three ain't bad (for now). I'll contact them to see if they actually use soy ingredients in the multi.
*Gluten free since 7/06

#4 jmengert

jmengert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:38 PM

I'm also soy, dairy, and gluten free, and I use GNC's Solo Day (a multivitamin) without any problems and have for months. Plus, it's only about $6/bottle; GNC's website will tell you what the vitamins are free of, too, if you want to check out other ones.
*Julie*
Gluten free since December 2004
Soy free since June 2005
Dairy free since July 2006

#5 4getgluten

4getgluten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:30 PM

I take Yummi Bears multi-vitamins. They are the only vitamin I've found that don't give me a stomach ache. They are free of: yeast, wheat, milk, egg, soy, gluten and salt. You can buy them at drugstore.com.
Karen
gluten-free since March 05

#6 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:43 PM

I take Nature Made Multi Vit

http://www.naturemade.com/

- Vincent -

#7 kathy2005

kathy2005

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:51 PM

Hi,

I take NSI Synergy Basic Multi-Vitamin Version 2 & NSI Calcium & Magnesium from vitacost.com. The site lists both suppliment as free of:
Gluten, corn, soy, yeast, wheat, lactose, fish, eggs, colorings, or preservatives.
http://www.vitacost....VitaminVersion2
http://www.vitacost....alciumMagnesium

Kathy

#8 Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:04 PM

most vitamins I've checked out tend to be gluten and dairy free... soy is more what you have to watch out for out of the 3 foods you listed... anything with vitamin E (either a vitamin or food) I'd check with the company to make sure it is not derived from soy...

I have a multi-vitamin from Pure that is free of gluten, casein, and soy... as for cal-mg, there's a calcium-mg citrate powder from Thorne that is free of the above as well..
- Charlie

- gluten free since January, 2006

- multiple food intolerances temporarily from leaky gut and candida

- positive test for lyme disease - April, 2007

#9 hineini

hineini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:45 AM

In case anyone is interested, I just verified that Freeda's vitamins are all soy-free!
*Gluten free since 7/06

#10 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:51 AM

In case anyone is interested, I just verified that Freeda's vitamins are all soy-free!

Nice! I figured they probably were... very allergy-friendly brand :)
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#11 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for the info on Freeda. I've been taking their prenatal but since I'm eating meat now, figured it was too much iron now. I was looking for something else but maybe I'll just go with another of their products.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#12 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:15 AM

Also, check out the hypoallergenic vitamins on www.kirkmanlabs.com. Even I can take them!
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#13 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:47 AM

I LOVE Freeda vitamins! I am taking their prenatal because I was low iron, but I also take their CoQ10 and their sublingual B12. My dietician gave me an entire PACKAGE of information about them . . . she recommends them because they are free of so many irritants. I have had no trouble with them whatsoever . . . also, they're having a 20% off sale because of their anniversary year, I think . . . . I also had a coupon that was in my packet for $5.00 off, I believe. Ask them about any specials they are having. They are great to work with, as well.
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#14 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:59 AM

I think that the reason many people are unsure about ingredients in vitamins (gluten, soy, etc.) is because only until recently did vitamin manufacturers provide that info. For example, my husband and I used GNC brand and in 2004 we asked a GNC store manager and called GNC to find out if they were gluten-free and of course we got the "we can't guarantee cross contamination - we do not know if the individual ingredients, which we buy from others, isn't gluten-free" statement.

Hence we stopped buying GNC and purchased Freeda from then on.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#15 sillyyak

sillyyak

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 09:23 AM

Have you looked into "NATURE MADE" vitamins?
Diagnosed 11-11-05 after 3 months of major symptoms, including 2 hospitalizations and 7 ER visits for dehydration and syncope. Otherwise, I had all "normal" blood tests and major scans. During those 3 months, lost 20 pounds, all my muscle tone, and ultimately could not walk for 2 days. Spent 6 days during the second hospitalization hooked up to IV and STILL passing out IN BED due to malnutrition with doctors staring at me AS IF it was all IN MY HEAD

Other related symptoms:
Osteopenia
Hypothyroidism
Gluten Ataxia - three "nodes" recently found in my brain (thought I had MS)
Muscle weakness
Fatigue
Chronic Constipation
45 pound weight gain since going gluten-free!

gluten-free since 11-11-05. Cannot eat bananas, potatoes, or spinach. Recently reintroduced yogurt into my diet and able to tolerate plain yogurt with sugar.

HATE the diet but psychologically tolerating it for my health.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: