This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Article In My Local Paper About Celiac

gf4life

gf4life Enthusiast

Open Original Shared Link

I am not only pleased with the article, but I was surprised to see that there is another store in Fresno that apparently carries gluten-free foods. I already shop at Whole Foods and Trader Joes, but I had never heard of Tower Health & Diet Foods. I'll have to look for it. Any new resource is a good thing.

The article also included recipes for gluten-free chocolate fudge cake, Rustic flat bread (focaccia), French-Italian bread, Apple pie with crumb topping, Traditional pie crust, and 2 gluten-free flour blends, all taken from a gluten-free cookbook called "Gluten-Free Baking Classics" by Annalise G. Roberts (Surrey Books, $16.95).

Has anyone heard of this cookbook before? I haven't, and I am wondering if it is worth trying it out. If you have heard of it, please tell us your comments. I am curious.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest ~jules~

I haven't read any of her cookbooks yet, but I know there has been alot of praise in this group for Roberts.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

I just read it too! It's a good article, although in one little sideline she DOES say Celiacs are "allergic" to gluten...

I have written to this food writer in the past, about a restaurant that was closing and my opinion as to why (the ridiculous prices), and in our correspondence mentioned that I was Celiac and didn't eat out much any more......she said at that time (months ago) she was considering doing an article on Celiac Disease and would consult me.....but she did not, so I am STILL not famous! :o

floridanative Community Regular

Thanks for posting the article gf4life. Can you tell me what you like from Trader Joes? There is one opening here soon (or it already did) and I'd like to know what they have that's really good in terms of gluten free items like various mixes and such.

gf4life Enthusiast

Dingogirl, I have to admit that I have used the "allergic" to gluten phrase myself quite often. People understand allergy, but have no clue about intolerance other than lactose intolerance and it is NOT the same thing. When I say gluten intolerance they always respond with, "well can't you just take a pill for that"...But if I say allergy, then they seem to realise it is serious. Occasionally I will run into someone who wants more information and then I will explain the whole thing about the intestinal damage, etc.

Floridanative, sorry there aren't any mixes available at Trader Joes that I know of. I mostly buy Blue Diamond Almond Breeze (much cheaper there), frozen microwavable brown rice packets (very handy for quick meals) wheat-free gluten-free toaster waffles for my kids (not soy-free so none for me!), there are a few gluten-free cereal choices, and I love their Basil Marinara sauce. They have gluten free lists available on their website, but they are different for west coast and east coast, so you would have to go there and print one out. Or you can usually pick up a gluten free list at the store. Usually they have some available in a display case.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Hi Mariann, yes, I too use the term allergy in casual conversation.....you're right, it is much easier! BUT...I HAVE written a letter to the editor to the Bee, to point out that error, but also to commend them on the article and getting the word out. I was so excited to see it!

I love Trader JOe's.....There is wonderful sausage there - Cantella's Cilantro/Bell Pepper - not cheap but really good. I think the other Cantella's are gluten-free as well. The Colombo (or is it Columbus?) meats are gluten-free. I eat their brown rice pastas also, alas, I have never had Tinkyada which everyone seems to love so can't compare. All the cheeses (check the list in the back of the store) are gluten-free.....dairy....a fantastic Vanilla ice cream....Double Rainbow, I think? The Savory Thins crackers are a staple in my house. the black bean enchiladas and the chicken and also the black bean taquitos (frozen section) are gluten-free. Lots of frozen veggies, good in a pinch. There is a smoked salmon I love there, with cracked bell pepper. Put that with some cream cheese and red onions on a Savory Thin - quite good. Also try the Veggie Chips, and the Flax Seed corn chips....the black bean corn chips....oh and the pot roast, in the refrigerator section....you can microwave it and it's SO tender and good.

Can't think what else.....

• 5 months later...
gZimmiZ Rookie

I haven't been around for a while however, I too read the article in the Fresno Bee and took my Celiac DD to the Doc that was talked about in the aritcle. (Paul Hanchett is our Doc too Dingo Girl, small world). Anyway, Dr. Judy Davis has the Bravo ph Monitor and did the test on her. It was so cool! I think all the Fresno and Fresno area people should get together for coffee/tea sometime. ZimmiZ

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived