This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Massachusetts Members

cowrdlyon

cowrdlyon Rookie

Greetings to everyone out there. I'm just recently diagnosed and wondering if anyone else out there is from Mass and where you are. I'm looking for a support group in my area (Western Ma) to attend in person. Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Moongirl Community Regular
Greetings to everyone out there. I'm just recently diagnosed and wondering if anyone else out there is from Mass and where you are. I'm looking for a support group in my area (Western Ma) to attend in person. Any suggestions?

check out thehealthvilli.com, they are a huge group in MASS

momandgirls Enthusiast

I think Moongirl meant www.healthyvilli.org

I believe their meetings are held in Wellesley. I haven't been to one only because Wellesley is just too far from me. A nutritionist from Beth Israel Deaconess talks every month or so at various Whole Foods stores on shopping gluten free. I've been one of those talks and she is very helpful. Go to the Whole Foods website and you can pull up a store near you (if there is one) and get the class schedule.

• 2 weeks later...
BostonCeliac Apprentice

Hey -- If you're anywhere near Northampton/Hadley -- there is an AWESOME Whole Foods there - very close to UMASS Amherst. I was just there this weekend and have been raving about it. Great selection.

Good luck!

ebrbetty Rising Star

Hi I'm from franklin..thinking of going to the meeting but so shy :blink: not sure I'll go, if anyone has gone to them I'd love to hear about it!

also there is a FANTASTIC gluten-free store in Needham, "New Leaf" or you can order from them online, I get the best stuff there, lots of things whole foods doesn't carry, just got back a few mins ago with lots of goodies :D

jesscarmel Enthusiast
Hi I'm from franklin..thinking of going to the meeting but so shy :blink: not sure I'll go, if anyone has gone to them I'd love to hear about it!

also there is a FANTASTIC gluten-free store in Needham, "New Leaf" or you can order from them online, I get the best stuff there, lots of things whole foods doesn't carry, just got back a few mins ago with lots of goodies :D

Hello

are they any specific products you recommend from there?

Jess

Guest Norah022

Home is Cape Cod for me:)

But I am currently at school in Indiana.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ebrbetty Rising Star
Hello

are they any specific products you recommend from there?

Jess

I always buy the Namaste chocolte cake [to die for!!] and the brownies, I make 1 to 2 cakes a week with a homemade gluten-free/df choc frosting

he also has the Kinnikinnick Italian and tapioca breads...lots of thier stuff!

great gluten-free/DF chocolate

this week I tried the sensible foods sweet corn snacks and the mixed dried fruit..the corn was great!

he carries a lot of things whole foods does not or you normally have to get online, he also ordered stuff for me I was looking for.

heres the link to his website, I go to the store iin Needham

Open Original Shared Link

Mtndog Collaborator

i'm Beverly from Beverly! i just moved here from Portsmouth NH so now I am, one again, a Mass Celiac!!!

I'm on the North Shore though so I don't know much about Western MA.

But welcome anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patti M. Newbie

I accidentally posted this information somewhere else, and I meant to post it here. There are two finds I want to share.

My husband has celiac and therefore hasn't had a sandwich in a cafe in a very long time. Imagine our surprise when he was able to get a sandwich on gluten-free bread at the Oxford St. Spa in Cambridge! The bread is homemade and my husband said his sandwich was delish.

So, if you're interested, check it out:

Oxford Spa

102 Oxford St.(between Harvard and Porter squares)

Cambridge, MA 02138

Also, my husband has discovered a gluten-free beer: Bard's Tale Ale. It's made of sorghum and is quite tasty. Every time we look at this list of where it's available, we see more and more stores selling this gluten-free beer!

Happy eating,

--Patti M.

Stow, MA

BostonCeliac Apprentice
My husband has celiac and therefore hasn't had a sandwich in a cafe in a very long time. Imagine our surprise when he was able to get a sandwich on gluten-free bread at the Oxford St. Spa in Cambridge! The bread is homemade and my husband said his sandwich was delish.

So, if you're interested, check it out:

Oxford Spa

102 Oxford St.(between Harvard and Porter squares)

Cambridge, MA 02138

Also, my husband has discovered a gluten-free beer: Bard's Tale Ale. It's made of sorghum and is quite tasty. Every time we look at this list of where it's available, we see more and more stores selling this gluten-free beer!

Happy eating,

--Patti M.

Stow, MA

Hey Patti -- Your link for the Oxford Spa is not working, I googled them to see if I could find their site or a menu & came up with this:

But I don't see anything Gluten Free on there!? Do you jsut have to ask when you're ordering??

Also, since you're in the Boston area -- you can actually order a Bard's Tale Ale at Sunset Grille & Tap in Brighton -- they have 120 different kinds of beer & that one is on the list! I agree, it's quite good!!

Please let me know if you get a minute about the Oxford Spa... THANKS!! :)

Patti M. Newbie
Hey Patti -- Your link for the Oxford Spa is not working, I googled them to see if I could find their site or a menu & came up with this:

But I don't see anything Gluten Free on there!? Do you jsut have to ask when you're ordering??

Also, since you're in the Boston area -- you can actually order a Bard's Tale Ale at Sunset Grille & Tap in Brighton -- they have 120 different kinds of beer & that one is on the list! I agree, it's quite good!!

Please let me know if you get a minute about the Oxford Spa... THANKS!! :)

As you pointed out, the link I posted was not working, so I went back in and just added their address.

It's a funny story about the sandwich. When we walked in, I told my husband that he couldn't have anything off the sandwich board, but he could take a peek at all the salads and sides.

The guy behind the counter looked at me as if I were mean, and I explained that my husband can't eat wheat, he has celiac. Quick as a wink, he said, "We have gluten-free bread!"

Well, we nearly died. We couldn't concentrate because we were just stunned! This place has ~15 sandwich choices, and all of them are good good good, so my hubby really had to concentrate (and so did I!).

As for the Bard's Tale Ale, a celiac friend of mine was over the moon when she found out she could order it at the Sunset!

BostonCeliac Apprentice

As you pointed out, the link I posted was not working, so I went back in and just added their address.

It's a funny story about the sandwich. When we walked in, I told my husband that he couldn't have anything off the sandwich board, but he could take a peek at all the salads and sides.

The guy behind the counter looked at me as if I were mean, and I explained that my husband can't eat wheat, he has celiac. Quick as a wink, he said, "We have gluten-free bread!"

Well, we nearly died. We couldn't concentrate because we were just stunned! This place has ~15 sandwich choices, and all of them are good good good, so my hubby really had to concentrate (and so did I!).

As for the Bard's Tale Ale, a celiac friend of mine was over the moon when she found out she could order it at the Sunset!

Thanks Patti! That's so great! I will definitely be heading over there to order a sandwich asap! I really miss just being able to go somewhere & get a sandwich! Now we just need them to open a store up in Brookline & I'll be all set!! :)

ebrbetty Rising Star

my hubby just surprised me with bards tale gluten-free beer, can't wait to have one tonight..he bought it in medway mass

ekdumas19 Apprentice
my hubby just surprised me with bards tale gluten-free beer, can't wait to have one tonight..he bought it in medway mass

I bought a six pack of the Bard's Beer at Blanchard's in Jamaica Plain. I am assuming the one in Allston also has it. It was good--definitly took me back to my beer drinking days. But the price --ouch :blink: 13 bucks for a six pack! That's like twice the price of a normal six pack......I guess you have to pay through the nose for things made with no gluten!!!

Patti M. Newbie
I bought a six pack of the Bard's Beer at Blanchard's in Jamaica Plain. I am assuming the one in Allston also has it. It was good--definitly took me back to my beer drinking days. But the price --ouch :blink: 13 bucks for a six pack! That's like twice the price of a normal six pack......I guess you have to pay through the nose for things made with no gluten!!!

I wonder if the price will drop once enough is sold. When my husband went to Julio's in Westborough, they were nearly wiped out, and the dude there was surprised at how much they had sold. As my husband explained, if you haven't had a beer in 10 years, you're going to buy it!

Isn't it nice to have beer and pizza again? Of course, I refer to corn pizza crusts from Glutino.com. NOTE: It's cheaper to mailorder these than to buy them in the store.

ehrin Explorer

Well I just found out that a local place here in Billerica - he'll only sell me the case but oh freaking well -

the case is setting me back $47!!

ekdumas19 Apprentice
I wonder if the price will drop once enough is sold. When my husband went to Julio's in Westborough, they were nearly wiped out, and the dude there was surprised at how much they had sold. As my husband explained, if you haven't had a beer in 10 years, you're going to buy it!

Isn't it nice to have beer and pizza again? Of course, I refer to corn pizza crusts from Glutino.com. NOTE: It's cheaper to mailorder these than to buy them in the store.

Yes it is! I remember when I was living in NYC and found the Risotteria. I remember leaving an away message on Instant Messenger saying something like Out for Pizza and Beer!-and everyone of my friends was like that's impossible-are u cured?? Great pizza and beer too. But yeah it just feels good to be like everybody else sometimes.......

eKatherine Rookie

My daughter's ex boyfriend is a manager at Blanchard's in Allston, maybe I can make a deal with him.

megzmc3611 Rookie
Well I just found out that a local place here in Billerica - he'll only sell me the case but oh freaking well -

the case is setting me back $47!!

There is a place in Burlington (on Middlesex Turnpike near the mall) called Woodwards. They sell Bards by the six pack for $13. I picked up two packs last week...

I always buy the Namaste chocolte cake [to die for!!] and the brownies, I make 1 to 2 cakes a week with a homemade gluten-free/df choc frosting

he also has the Kinnikinnick Italian and tapioca breads...lots of thier stuff!

great gluten-free/DF chocolate

this week I tried the sensible foods sweet corn snacks and the mixed dried fruit..the corn was great!

he carries a lot of things whole foods does not or you normally have to get online, he also ordered stuff for me I was looking for.

heres the link to his website, I go to the store iin Needham

Betty..

Are you aware of the Amazon grocery section having an entire line of gluten free items? They sell the Sensible Foods corn and fruit snacks for soooooo much cheaper (ends up being about $1 a bag). If you buy over $25 worth, you get free shipping too!

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I'm in MA, beautiful Cape Cod we have a Celiac group right here on the Cape. I do my shopping at Whole foods (in Hingham) Stop and shop and Cape Cod Natural Foods in Centerville.

Susan

• 2 years later...
PatrickMurphy87 Newbie

im from just outside the city. definitely would like to meet people from greater boston that suffer from celiac's.

• 4 weeks later...
Amy Joe Rookie

I am new to Celiac! :( Would love to go to a meeting of cooking class. I am in the North Central about 25 minuets north of Worcester......in Fitchburg. Is there anything near me!???

From what I can see looks like I would have to shop in Framingham. Hoping to find something closer to me.

Thanks

Amy Joe

lpjourney Rookie
I am new to Celiac! :( Would love to go to a meeting of cooking class. I am in the North Central about 25 minuets north of Worcester......in Fitchburg. Is there anything near me!???

From what I can see looks like I would have to shop in Framingham. Hoping to find something closer to me.

Thanks

Amy Joe

I don't know of any cooking classes, but, i do know that Market Basket is carrying more gluten-free products and there is a Whole Foods in Bedford on Route 4 that has the best / greatest variety. Hannafords - if you have one anywhere near you also has some products along with Trader Joes. You're not stuck having to go down to Framingham only.

I recently just received the Gluten Free Shopping Guide by Cecelia's market place - surprisingly - there a many grocery store items that qualify. You may PM message me if you'd like to talk more.

GlutenWrangler Contributor

I'm from Western Massachusetts too. Westfield, actually. Choice Health in Westfield has some gluten-free products, along with the local Big-Y and Stop & Shop. But the best place in the area is definitely Whole Foods in Hadley.

Archived