Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Shrimp Scampi

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

So i have been to several restaurants where i have been tempted to order shrimp scampi but have been scared to do so b/c i dont think i really know what it is. Does anyone order it in restaurants? Is it safe? What do i have to ask about? Anyone have success ordering it in italian restaurants or seafood places? Thanks!!

Ads by Google:

Carrabba's has a shrimp scampi on their gluten free menu that is delicious. Everyone at our table loved it. I of course did not have the garlic toast.

Scampi is really just fish (shrimp/scallops, etc) sauteed in butter w/ garlic. It should be okay...

... BUT...

I always ask how things are prepared... and if they balk like they don't know, I ask them to please ask the chef if any flour of any kind is used or any kind of thickening agent. I've had success in restaurants where they also serve rice ... asking for my scampi on rice rather than pasta.

I love the Carrabbas shrimp scampi too. I would ask about the flour issue too.

I'd be sure to ask. I went out to dinner last week and asked about the shrimp scampi on the menu. The waiter went and asked the chef and came back to tell me that it DID have flour. It's easily made without flour, but be sure to ask - I'm glad I did!

I love the Carrabbas shrimp scampi too. I would ask about the flour issue too.

Do they serve it over rice at Carrabbas? I make it at home and my son loves it but it would be nice to have somewhere to eat out that is not a burger joint. I know he would enjoy it.

Nicole

It was an appetiser on the gluten free menu. But it was not over anything as they serve garlic toast with it. I asked the garlic toast to be on a separate plate so others could eat it. I love when I can get appetiser's at a restaurant :)

FYI, owned the same as Carraba's also had gluten-free "Shrimp on the barbie" Some thing, basically no toast to be gluten-free.

I like it more that Carrba's, generally as I am a meat and potatoes boy. A big pork chop and baked potatoe is what I want. My poor wife is the one that has to deal with me(and yes, had to deal with me before I was gluten aware as that was still what I wanted to eat each day)

meal == (chunk o meat) + (baked potatoe)