15 replies to this topic

#1 imsohungry

imsohungry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:56 PM

Although I have successfully wasted hundreds of dollars on my gluten-free cooking experiments, I have tried exactly two recipes that I can actually make. One of them is for a gluten-free pizza crust; I made it about a year ago. Since I don't have time to cook everyday, I thought about mixing a couple of crusts at one time and then pulling them out of the fridge/freezer as I need them for the week.

My question: Should I bake all of the dough at once or store it in the fridge and bake it as I need it? Or should I just bake the crusts, and then freeze them all? Or should I just bake them and refridgerate them? I will probably eat them all within the week, but what if I don't...how should I store them? :blink:

Please don't laugh; I know I'm totally clueless in the kitchen. :rolleyes:

Thanks. -Julie ;)
Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"
(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."
(Garth Brooks).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:17 PM

i would probably bake them all and then freeze them.

so what's the recipe, we haven't made one we like yet.
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

#3 Turtle

Turtle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:50 PM

Yes, please share the recipe... :ph34r:
~Turtle~

#4 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:15 PM

Bette Hagman has a great pizza crust recipe, it's the Easy Pizza recipe. It's in at least two of her books. It is excellent. I serve it to friends all the time and they look at me like I'm nuts when I take a bite and say "I thought you couldn't eat real pizza". Ha! Then I tell them it's gluten free.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#5 TinkerbellSwt

TinkerbellSwt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:21 PM

I made my pizza dough and tried to refrigerate it until the next day.. didnt come out to well. I think maybe I will try baking and then freezing them.
Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05
son born severly premature due to
celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

#6 imsohungry

imsohungry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:37 PM

Angie,

If you don't mind, could you post your recipe from BH's cookbook?

Chrissy and Tinker,
Thanks for the tip; I will try baking and freezing! B)

I'm embarrassed to share my recipe; I kind of made it up myself. It doesn't look like traditional pizza crust at all, but it doesn't taste bad and holds together fairly well. When I get it "perfected," I'll share it. ;)

I made it tonight for dinner. Yummy, it wasn't Domino's or Pizza Hut, but it was pizza and satisfied my craving! B)

Thanks for the replies and suggestions! -Julie

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."
(Garth Brooks).

#7 gaynonna

gaynonna

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:48 PM

Look at Italian Flatbread post today. Actually it is called focaccia. It makes a wonderful pizza crust, or Bette Hagmans pizza crust made with her featherlight mix is really good.

#8 GFBetsy

GFBetsy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:34 AM

Julie -

With my pizza crust recipe, I almost always bake several at once and then freeze most of them in a gallon Ziplock. (They are about the size of a medium Boboli crust.) Then I just defrost one in the microwave for 30 seconds or so, top it with sauce, cheese, etc., and then bake it for another 15 minutes at 400 degrees or so. It works really well.

My sister spent this summer as a counselor at a church based youth program here. The youth come for one week and live on campus at BYU. My sister was a counselor for several sessions. One Wednesday she called and said : "One of my girls has celiac, and we're supposed to be having a pizza party tonight, and there isn't going to be anything she can eat. Could you . . . ?" I told her I'd make a pizza, and it honestly only took me about 30 minutes (including baking time) because I already had crusts stored in the freezer. I just made some pizza sauce, cooked some BBQ chicken, and threw the pizza together. My sister told me later that the girl cried because she hadn't had pizza in so long and it tasted so good :D. That made my day!

My older sister has also made several pizza crusts in pie plates, then topped them and THEN froze them. Then all she had to do was pull one out of the freezer and bake it (kind of like the nasty cardboard Totino's pizzas the grocery store sells).

And by the way . . . people eat those nasty Totino's pizzas all the time . . . so it's not just people with celiac who have a tough time finding a good pizza! :lol: :lol: :lol:

#9 mamatide

mamatide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:29 AM

I recently tried the pizza crust recipe in Annalise Roberts' cookbook and the recipe actually recommends that you make it in advance (several hours) of eating it - or freezing the crusts (instructions for wrapping are included).

The crust is substantially different in texture from the one on Carol Fenster's website (savorypalate.com) in that it's fluffy and breadish. The Roberts' crust is a rising crust and to be honest in terms of leftovers it gives a nicer texture for eating cold in lunches and the like.

The kids liked it in any event.

mamatide

#10 FrostyFriday

FrostyFriday

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:06 PM

This recipe by Carol Fenster is very good and egg less as well as gluten free. I mixed it by hand and it turned out great.

Pizza Crust & Pizza Sauce

Pizza Crust
1 tablespoon gluten-free dry yeast
2/3 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
2 tablespoons dry milk powder
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin powder (Knox)
1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
2/3 cup warm milk (110º) or non-dairy liquid
1/4 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
Extra rice flour for sprinkling

Pizza Sauce
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon garlic
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Toppings of your choice

Sauce: Combine all ingredients in small saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, while Pizza Crust is being assembled. Makes about 1 cup.

Crust: Preheat oven to 425ºF. In medium mixer bowl using regular beaters (not dough hooks), blend the yeast, flours, dry milk powder, xanthan gum, salt, gelatin powder, and Italian seasoning on low speed. Add warm milk, sugar, oil, and vinegar.
Beat on high speed for 2 minutes. (If the mixer bounces around the bowl, the dough is too stiff. Add water if necessary, one tablespoon at a time, until dough does not resist beaters.) The dough will resemble soft bread dough. (You may also mix in bread machine on dough setting.)
Put mixture on lightly greased 12-inch pizza pan or on baking sheet (for thin, crispy crust), 11 x 7-inch pan (for deep dish version) that has been coated with cooking spray. Liberally sprinkle rice flour onto dough, then press dough into pan, continuing to sprinkle dough with flour to prevent sticking to your hands. Make edges thicker to hold the toppings.
Bake pizza crust for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Top Pizza Crust with sauce and your preferred toppings. Bake for another 20-25 minutes or until top is nicely browned. Serves 6 (1 slice per serving).
Calories, 153; Fat 1.5g, Protein 4g; Carb. 33g; Chol.1 mg; Sodium 635 mg; Fiber 3g (crust and sauce only)

Dairy Alternative: 2 tablespoons tapioca flour or sweet rice flour in place of the 2 tablespoons dry milk powder or non-dairy milk powder. However, the crust won't brown as nicely.

#11 imsohungry

imsohungry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and recipes everyone!

Mike, Nonna, and Frosty
Thank you SO MUCH for posting your recipes. Frosty, I'm glad you listed the "alternatives" section. I am always wondering what I can substitute (i.e. for the milk powder...which I don't keep around the house usually).

Mamatide and Betsy,

I'm so grateful for the storage suggestions...I really am totally clueless b/c before I was gluten-free, I only cooked instant food. Glad to see you listed websites too.

Betsy, You are cracking me up about the Totino's pizza! :lol: I've burnt bread that tasted better than some of that stuff! :P That is so sweet that you made that girl cry tears of happiness! It's amazing what a touch of kindness and good gluten-free cooking can mean to someone. I'm sure that touched your heart!

I can't wait to get started with these recipes. I need to go to the store this weekend though, I'm out of geletin and yeast and....on and on.

Happy cooking! ;)

(Garth Brooks).

#12 imsohungry

imsohungry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 04:27 PM

imsohungry,

You are welcome. Glad I could help.
I hope the ingredients in my version are easy enough to locate - the only ones that may be an issue would be the sweet(glutinous) rice flour and regular white rice flour perhaps. If you can use dairy, that's good, since I use some milk and bit of parmesan cheese in my version for added flavor.

Hope your baking goes well.

Mike, I have everything that the recipe calls for EXCEPT glutinous rice flour, where would I find that? Is there a possible substitute...I have the regular white rice flour. I scrolled down to the picture in the cast iron pan. Boy, does that look yummy! I really wish I had a Whole Foods near me. :rolleyes: Makes baking gluten-free difficult. Thanks again! -Julie :)

(Garth Brooks).

#13 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2006 - 05:15 PM

:) Hi EnerG foods has sweet rice flour in a box. I got some at our local health food store, but you could probably order it online. Also, if you have an Asian market near you, it is what they sell, and much cheaper there, from what others have told me. Alas, we don't have one near me, so I pay $$$ to much for it, but it is worth it to get good results.

#14 imsohungry

imsohungry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:16 AM

:) Hi EnerG foods has sweet rice flour in a box. I got some at our local health food store, but you could probably order it online. Also, if you have an Asian market near you, it is what they sell, and much cheaper there, from what others have told me. Alas, we don't have one near me, so I pay $$$ to much for it, but it is worth it to get good results.

Thanks Robbin! We don't have an Asian market, but I will double check my grocery store. They just put in an expanded health foods section, and I'm still learning where things are one the shelves. If I don't find it, I'll order from EnerG. :) -Julie

(Garth Brooks).

#15 imsohungry

imsohungry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:19 AM

Thanks Mike,
I'm going to get the flour this weekend from the local health store. I want to try my new pizza recipe on Sunday; I'll post as soon as I make it! B)

(Garth Brooks).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: