Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

I Understand That "tailz" Has Been Banned From This Site.

• Please log in to reply

76 replies to this topic

#31 gfp

gfp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:08 AM

Now look, Steve, how would you like it if we'd discuss what you do and don't do, and what we don't like about you on the board?

Erm well presumably you do that in the mod forum?
but that is not whay I am saying.... what I'm saying is this board has a set of 3 rules that are non negotiable and if you ask for clarification of these rules then Scott refuses to discuss them other than pm ...

Secondly most or many of the mods are breaking the rules... it is one rule for some people and one rule for others.

This is more of a democracy than you're aware of.

There can be no democracy without open discussion and open discussion is not allowed.

Do you seriously think that we should be doing all that out in the open, with ALL the members here being able to add their five cents worth? We'd have a madhouse, and people would get hurt left and right, and soon everybody would be leaving, and there would be no board left!

You are mixing two seperate issues. An issue with an individual member is different to discussing a policy or rule which is seletively applied.

So, having said that, this is the last post I am making in this thread. Because, honestly, we have been discussing poor Carol (tailz) enough, likely embarassing her to death if she is reading this.

Well it might have helped to have a public rule about banning.... most boards have a rule which is public that if a mod pm's you after discussion wirth other mods and you refuse to accept doing anything wrong then a process occurs. That process is usually documented and open and can be referred to....

Taliz was obviously breaking rule #3 but since most of the mods are specifically breaking rule #2 how should this be interpreted?

In a democracy the policy and rules are open they are hidden or at least the application of them. That is fine but you have to accept that the policy is hidden.

As I said in my post Scott provides the forum as an extra to his commerical web site, if he wants to set the rules it's up to him, its not like you have to pay to be a member so people are either happy or not with the policy but pretending policy is open is not correct.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:16 AM

Well, I thought tailZ was definitely a litttle too pushy about the Lyme thing--but then again, she did NOT tell me she thinks that I have it. As someone else said, if she'd only started a thread under the "Celiac and Related Disorders" heading, that would have avoided nearly all of the problems.

But should she have been banned because she either didn't know better or just got carried away?

Ursula, you have commented how much better you are at writing than at speaking. Should tailZ be punished because she lacks your writing abilities or your ability to keep things pretty much in perspective when writing about something you feel passionately about?

Aren't many of us just as convinced and passionate about the gluten-free diet as tailZ is about Lyme? Should we act like the typical American MD towards tailZ when it's very likely she's on to something, even though not all of us actually have Lyme?

I still think Scott was seriously mistaken in banning her. Instead of warning her in the first place, he should have suggested that she post her Lyme info separately under the "Celiac and Related Disorders" heading. Heck, I think he should have THANKED her for bringing it to our attention, even if most of us aren't suffering from Lyme. What if her post gets ONE person correctly diagnosed? Wouldn't it be worth it? Or what if many of us choose to at least try to rule out Lyme? Isn't it always good to have more info rather than less?

Yes, Scott has the right to run his board the way he wants. But I'm really disappointed in him for this.

Oh--she pm-ed me too, and explained that she had trouble posting under tailZ. I don't believe she had been banned at that point--I tried to pm her right back using tailZ, and as far as I could tell, she had not yet been cancelled--from my end, it seemed to go through successfully.

While she didn't announce to everyone, "Hey I'm tailZ jsut posting as breeZy"--heck, wasn't it obvious, not by the contet, but by the spelling of the name (capital Z at the end)? If she'd been trying to be sneaky, seems to me she would have chosen a totally different name and tried a totally different writing style.

And as far as the proselytizing thing--for Heaven's sake, if I didn't feel like she was shoving religion down my throat, isn't that an indication that at least, that part is debatable? I mean, come on, folks, I tend to be more sensitive than most of you to that sort of thing, don't I?

#33 Guest_Robbin_*

Guest_Robbin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:29 AM

:D Amen, Fiddle -Faddle-I agree wholeheartedly with what you have said. I felt sorry for her and really thought she was just searching for answers the way many of us are. I felt she was trying to connect and reach out, but came across as a little pushy. I took that as just her style and not as an offense. I am afraid now that many people will be afraid to share more of their experiences and that is a pity. The shared experiences have helped me tremendously and I learn from others' trial and error what MIGHT work for me too. As has been said before, discovering this forum and eliminating gluten wasn't something that would normally have occured to many of us. It is through sharing that we sometimes get the answers we need. Hey, even sharing that your faith helps you can be beneficial for someone else who is hurting.

#34 Guest_Mtndog_*

Guest_Mtndog_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:47 AM

Secondly most or many of the mods are breaking the rules... it is one rule for some people and one rule for others.
There can be no democracy without open discussion and open discussion is not allowed.

Hey gfp- I'm confused as to what you mean about the mods breaking #2. I'm a mod and people do take to tend moderation pretty seriously. We are not exempt from being banned either.

Basically- the way you get banned is a three strikes and you're out. So, let's say I have been reported by another member for being rude. Scott or another moderator would decide to warn me with an explanation as to why I'm being warned. Then two more times and I'm banned. I think that's pretty fair.

You'd be surprised by how little mods "talk" about other people in PM's. More or less we just ru7n questions by each other or Scott. And it is a democracy in that ANYONE on the board can volunteer to moderate.

I'm not saying ALL the decisions made on this board are perfectly fair (are they anywhere?) just that I think there's less secrecy and mods and scott really do take it to heart as we know this board is a great resource. The other thing is that if you are banned, you can still READ all you want. You just can't post.

Hope this makes sense. I have a lot of respect for what you've written in this and other posts.

Lynne- I SEE you!

#35 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:52 AM

Gotta go with GFP on this one . . . this forum is an advertisement arena for Scott. That is fine -- it's his site. However, it is NOT a democracy. The idea of "open discussion" is not supported, and yes, if the moderators are specifically bad-mouthing one individual behind their backs . . .. well, that IS breaking one of the rules --just not publicly.

Then again, I've had a couple of bad experiences, but missed you guys enough to say what the He** and come back . . . .
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#36 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:03 AM

The shared experiences have helped me tremendously and I learn from others' trial and error what MIGHT work for me too.

Sharing experiences is different from stating that all illness is man made, that genetics is not a true science, that all illness stems from an infection, that Lyme disease is probably the infection that makes everyone think they have Celiac disease.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#37 rinne

rinne

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

Thank you Fiddle-Faddle and Robbin you have each so eloquently expressed what I am feeling that I have nothing to add to it except Tailz please come visit Daily Strength if you are reading this.
A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

#38 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:27 PM

I didn't read enough of Tailz's posts to make a judment on her conduct (I clearly remember her thread on colloidial silver, and there she just seemed like an unwell soul searching for some answers). Her obsession with Lyme disease is fascinating, and as I've made my way through this thread I have had a moment of pause...I am going to be a lot more careful now of how often I jump into conversations with, "hey! That sounds like celiac you've got!" I just realized that I am probably doing this and monopolizing discussions much more often than I should be!
Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

#39 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

I guess I have been missing all the good stuff on here again...thank goodness. Had my share of stick poking in the past.

Let's face it human nature is that, not everyone one will agree with everyone else on any given subject all the time.

Rusla
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#40 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:13 PM

I have to say..."sharing experiences" is one thing and thats alot of what this board is about. We can all learn from the experiences of others here and I for one, love to learn. I'm very intereseted in Lyme and its connection to Celiac....if there is one. I was interested in what Tailz had to say but I feel she was going way overboard. Its one thing to put the info out there where others can possibly be helped by it. Its entirely different to start pm'ing people...telling them that they *have* Lyme Disease or to jump into threads and suggest we all have this ....scaring people.

Providing some useful information may have been more helpful to myself and others. I probably would have had a greater appreciation for a pm that had some specific info about Lyme Disease rather than one which basically made me feel that if I dont do something about Lyme Disease right now I'll be very sorry. I dont feel she can make that kind of diagnosis just by looking at my avatar. I'm working very hard to get answers for my lingering symptoms. I've been tested for Lyme and right now all I can do is wait. I welcome any advice I can get but her approach was all wrong.

She *did* create her new account thinking she had been banned. She said that Scott was banning her because she was going to put him out of business by curing all of us of Celiac...which is really Lyme Disease. I dont think its the best idea for someone to pm a moderator and badmouth the admin or the site itself. I happen to have respect for what Scott does here and without this site we wouldnt have the support that we have here.

I do not think that Tailz is a bad person....not even close. I can relate to what shes going through and I have sympathy for her. However, I think if someone wants to take part in a message board they should try to conduct themselves in a less disruptive way. I'm sure she could have helped some people if she went about things diferently.

I dont think people will be afraid to share ideas because of this incident. My understanding is that she was banned for reasons that went beyond simply "sharing ideas". If we were to get banned for that I would have been gone a long time ago.
Rachel

#41 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:52 PM

Man, she's starting to sound a little scary...Believing she has a "mission" to cure us all, accusing Scott of feeling threatened by her "words of truth"... :blink:
Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

#42 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:03 PM

Good points from all you wise ones!

This whole thing reminds me of a Celiac acquaintance at my church, whom I met just once. He sends the HUGEST and longest group emails to everyone, including me, about Celiac. There is SO much science, conjecture, opinion, and fact in these emails, and in his conversations, that I absolutely KNOW he is doing the opposite of what he hopes to do...inform and alert people to Celiac, but is instead turning people off. It was an eye-opening experience for ME, because I think I was tending to do a bit of the same thing myself. sometimes I wonder if I should gently tell him.....but it's hard! People tend not to listen when you vehemently get on your soapbox about something obscure that doesn't involve them.....even if it does.

Wonder if *I* have Lyme? Once hosted a tick for 48 hours and pulled it out of my back myself.....left a pincer in, the dermatologist had to carve it out.....gross...... :blink:

(just being silly here, I have no achiness in my joints, never have)
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

#43 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:21 PM

wow...

hmmm she did try to tell me that both I and my daughter need to be tested for Lyme...um, I've already been tested and my daughter was sick from BIRTH... doubt seriously it was ever Lyme!

It's Scott's board and he can ban anyone he sees fit to for his own reasons, but I'm sure he didn't do it lightly. Thanks Scott for all your hard work.

#44 Lymetoo

Lymetoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

Thank you Fiddle-Faddle and Robbin you have each so eloquently expressed what I am feeling that I have nothing to add to it.........

Me too.

I don't think tailz was given three strikes, that's for sure.

I do understand what some of you said about talking too much about celiac to others. I now have TWO main health issues I want to tell others about! So it's doubly hard to keep my mouth shut!! :lol:

Some Lyme patients are obsessive complulsive and impulsive as well. Sound familiar??

Dingo Girl...not all lyme patients have pain in their joints. Many have "neuro Lyme"....some have both.
Negative biopsy for celiac 1980
Fibromyalgia 1980
IBS 1980
Interstitial Cystitis 1992
Systemic yeast
Diagnosed w/ Chronic Lyme Disease 2000
Diagnosed w/ Chronic babesia 2000
Tachycardia 2001
Asthma 2005
Have had Lyme and babesia for
about 48 yrs.

Began gluten-free July 19 '06
Native TEXAN living in Missouri

#45 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:47 PM

I think that I'm kind of "overly cautious" about Lyme disease because of an experience I had with one of my patients. I had seen her a week prior, and she was going on vacation -- camping with her husband and kids. She came in for her next appointment and I asked her how she was doing. She said that she had been doing the stretches, the self-mobilizations, but that her joints -- throughout her body -- were kind of "sore". She also said she thought she had been running a fever -- she thought she had the flu, maybe. I went to put electrodes on her low back (closer to her butt cheeks, really), and I saw what I KNEW was a tick -- with a bullseye around it, and the blistery rash, as well.

I tried to act really cool, I went back to my secretary had her pull up deer ticks and Lyme . . . . walked back into the room, asked her if she had a mole on her very low back. She said no, of course. So, I said, "Well, I think we may have a problem." Went on to tell her that she had a tick -- it was a deer tick, but it was HUGE -- so she must have gotten it the first day or so of her trip -- but she also had a bullseye and a blistering rash. She FREAKED OUT. She told me to get the tick off immediately!! Since I'm licensed to do scalpel debridement, and fundamentally, a bite with an inflammatory response around it is a wound, I was O.K. to remove it. I then had to find a primary care doctor for her -- and get her in that day. She DID have Lyme disease.

I'm not one to say that everything that happens to people is a result of Lyme -- in fact, our veterinarian wanted me tested for three different other types of tick-borne diseases because of our area. I am, though, pretty "aware" of Lyme disease. Clearly, however, it DOES NOT cause Celiac. Through all my research, I have yet to see a connection or causational relationship that Lyme disease causes the development of Celiac.

I'm sorry for what happened to that woman . . . it appears that she was on a "mission" to cure the world through the diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease. It's unfortunate that she went about it, though, in the manner that she did.
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: