16 replies to this topic

#1 LindseyLC

LindseyLC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 11:33 AM

Hello everyone, this is my first post, so please forgive my level of understanding of Celiac Disease. I have a wonderful boyfriend who has had celiac disease for two years. I have never before heard of or dealt with the disease and am trying my very best to be supportive. I am very frustrated, however, about certain symptoms he displays. He's very disciplined with his diet and avoids anything with flour in it, no eggs, milk (lactose intolerant), sugar, the list goes on and on. Basically he can only eat meat, potatoes, and some vegetables. He still has symptoms, sometimes for unexplainable reasons. The physical symptoms include bloating, constipation, gas, being hot, extremely thirsty, swollen tongue, urinating very often and several others. These I can somewhat understand. It's the psychological symptoms I find difficult to believe. He says certain foods make him quiet, angry or irritable. I have no problem with most foods, but many things give me gas or make me feel bloated. Eggs, grits, cucumbers, etc. give me the physical symptoms he describes, but do not affect my overall "mood" as bad foods do with him. I feel guilty when I question his food-related moods, but it just seems so strange and hard to believe. Do other people with celiac disease suffer from these random mood swings based on food? Thank you in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 12:16 PM

Have you ever felt angry/mean due to a hormonal fluctuation? It's much the same. Gluten makes me feel bitchy for a week. (Not as bitchy as a real hormone change, but similar...)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 lbaroosh

lbaroosh

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:23 AM

I am a celiac and many foods affect my mood. I am still trying to sort them out.

One thing that helped was thyroid medication. Many celiacs are hypothyroid and cannot metablozie certain foods properly. Has he had his thyroid checked?

My husband gets impatient with me with my food/moods. But he says the thyroid meds have made a big difference.

Good luck and try to be patient.

Lisa

#4 kvogt

kvogt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:00 AM

If I poison myself, I go through several symptoms including attention/difficulty with concentration (quiet), short term memory problems and iritability up to and fly-off-the-handle rage.

#5 byuiemily

byuiemily

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:07 AM

Eating gluten definitely brings back the depression that I dealt with for many years, and still deal with when I don't stick to my diet. I will become fidgeting, quiet, extremely moody, or disinterested in just about anything that is going on around me (tying back to depression) so yes, I do believe there are psychological changes that occur when gluten is ingested by someone with celiac disease. While that can be hard to deal with (I have a Mom and 4 of my 5 siblings with celiac disease so i know what it's like to deal with someone who is being moody because of eating gluten) someone in that situation, it's so helpful when those around you are understanding, or at least not judgemental about your sudden change in behavior. It'd be interesting to know what is causing your boyfriend to still have these symptoms. Perhaps he is having problems with cross contamination? I wish you and your boyfriend the best of luck :)
Emily Wilkes
Diagnosed August 2002 at age 17

#6 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:13 AM

Before I started the diet, five months ago, I was constantly sick and I felt really depressed (not technically/medically depressed, but felt down all the time). In addition, I was noticing an increasing irritability -- I'd snap at people for no reason. Since starting the diet I'm a lot less irritable and sad....even though I still have symptoms....so I think it's the gluten that got me mad and sad, even if I didn't know it at the time.

-celiac3270

#7 LindseyLC

LindseyLC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 06:55 AM

Thank you for responding so candidly to my concern. It's somehow better knowing my boyfriend's symptoms aren't unique. I will continue to be patient and we are researching this disease together, looking for new treatment options and possibilities. Good luck to you all!

#8 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 04:18 PM

Lindsey

As the wife of a newly diagnosed celiac man I have to agree that the gluten causes a chemical reaction which takes a very long time to leave the body. This chemical reaction does affect the neurological system which in turn can affect the brain and thinking. He's not making this up.

If he's a good guy and you love each other, it'll work out.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#9 Mballerina

Mballerina

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:08 AM

Hello everyone, this is my first post, so please forgive my level of understanding of Celiac Disease. I have a wonderful boyfriend who has had celiac disease for two years. I have never before heard of or dealt with the disease and am trying my very best to be supportive. I am very frustrated, however, about certain symptoms he displays. He's very disciplined with his diet and avoids anything with flour in it, no eggs, milk (lactose intolerant), sugar, the list goes on and on. Basically he can only eat meat, potatoes, and some vegetables. He still has symptoms, sometimes for unexplainable reasons. The physical symptoms include bloating, constipation, gas, being hot, extremely thirsty, swollen tongue, urinating very often and several others. These I can somewhat understand. It's the psychological symptoms I find difficult to believe. He says certain foods make him quiet, angry or irritable. I have no problem with most foods, but many things give me gas or make me feel bloated. Eggs, grits, cucumbers, etc. give me the physical symptoms he describes, but do not affect my overall "mood" as bad foods do with him. I feel guilty when I question his food-related moods, but it just seems so strange and hard to believe. Do other people with celiac disease suffer from these random mood swings based on food? Thank you in advance.

Hi,
The parallel you may want to make between your own feelings and those of a person with celiac disease is this;
Imagine if you had the most horrible PMS you have ever had.
Then add to that some of the symptoms of the flu.
Add some of the symtpoms of a severe allergy like congestion and tickling.
Then wrap it all up with a major hangover and what seems like 2 hours of sleep and then tell me if you would not be IRRITABLE, DEPRESSED, and completely APATHETIC?

I hope that helps you get a perspective on it and not take it personally,

Magdalena, ON, CANADA
Magdalena (1st celiac disease, than the world)

#10 GEF

GEF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 12:48 PM

Lindsey,

I think it's great that you're so supportive of your boyfriend and seeking answers and educating yourself. I means a lot to him, I'm sure of that. And it says a lot of you.

Even those of us who have a problem, don't always at times understand what's going on... so it get's hard on our loved one's, I'm sure.

You're welcome to post anytime you'd like and we'll do the best we can to help you out.

Gretchen

#11 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:09 PM

I get so annoying and in really bad moods when I get guten , I hit my sisters and just scream at them, he's not unique in this diesease, almost all of us get like this.
Molly

#12 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:13 PM

I know I alread replied, but I got glutened from some toothpaste and am smack in the middle of a cranky episode because of it. I might as well hang a "don't mess with me" sign around my neck for my husband's benefit at this point.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#13 celiacfreeman

celiacfreeman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 11:46 AM

try mega does of b12 at least for the moodiness
check envelopes, and stamp for gluten.

#14 YankeeDB

YankeeDB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 12:31 PM

Lindsey, some of those symptoms sound like diabetes which sometimes accompanies celiac disease. Check this out:

http://www.diabetes....es-symptoms.jsp

"Some diabetes symptoms include:

Frequent urination
Excessive thirst
Extreme hunger
Unusual weight loss
Increased fatigue
Irritability
Blurry vision

If you have one or more of these diabetes symptoms, see your doctor right away. You can also take our Online Diabetes Risk Test <http://www.diabetes..../risk-test.jsp> to find out if you are at risk for diabetes. "

#15 Sharon C.

Sharon C.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 12:41 PM

Yankee, I was going to say the same thing. Sounds like diabetes, which is linked with celiac.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: