16 replies to this topic

#16 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:17 AM

I agree, sounds like diabetes, too. It is definitely worth having the blood sugar and insulin levels checked!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 DrLeonard

DrLeonard

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 04:57 PM

Hi

I'm a clinical psychologist and I was diagnosed with celiac disease about four years ago. I now work with others who are having emotional problems secondary to celiac disease. I'd definitely back up all the advice of having your boyfriend go through a thorough work-up to rule out medical conditions, but it's not unusual for people with celiac disease to have emotional problems that aren't directly due to medical disorders. Those things are "real", too---whether you're depressed because of diabetes or depressed because you're not happy about having celiac disease, it's all depression.

I may be biased but I'm a big believer in the "mind-body" connection. If your boyfriend gets cleared by the physicians and is still having emotional problems, you might want to look into support groups, counseling, or psychotherapy. Sometimes the psychotropic meds (antidepressants and such) can also help. These things may not be for everybody, but they made a huge difference for me and some others I know.

It's really cool to hear about non-celiac disease partners who are so concerned and supportive of their partners with celiac disease. I'm sure that goes a long way for your boyfriend, and I hope for the best for both of you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: