This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Dairy Free And Egg Free And Soy Free (except For A Couple)

AndreaB

AndreaB Contributor

Here are some recipes from cookbooks that I have for dairy free and egg free and mostly soy free items. I am soy intolerant and don't use soy but realize others may use soy and benefit from some recipes.

Sliceable Cashew Cheese From Five Loaves Deli & Bakery by Neva Brackett

2 cups cashew nuts

3/8 cup emes kosher gel (I’m sure regular gelatin would work)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jenvan Collaborator

Thanks for posting these--I'm so curious what they're like!

guitarplayer4God Explorer

Thank you so much for posting these!! I am allgeric to milk and I was wondering what to use for cheese but now I can try the cashew cheese you posted. Thank you so much for posting these recipes, I will have to try them!!!

AndreaB Contributor

Here's a few more recipes.

Recipes from Newstart Lifestyle Cookbook by Weimar Institute

Carob Fudge

4 cups date or malt sweetened, non dairy carob chips (obviously swap these out for chocolate) Don't think they make carob chips without barley malt.

1 cup almond or peanut butter

1 cup chopped nuts

1 cup raisins

Place carob chips and almond butter in a double boiler over low heat. Heat just until chips begin to melt, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Combine with nuts and raisins and mix together well. Press mixture into a flat casserole dish and chill.

Nut Milk

1 quart water

AndreaB Contributor

Some more recipes.

I made Beef Stroganoff last night which I thought was close to the original recipe that I remember.

First the sour cream recipe, then I'll note my adjustments to that.

Sunny Sour Cream (from Newstart Lifestyle Cookbook by Weimar Institutue)

3/4 cup water

2/3 cup sunflower seeds

3 tbsp fresh lemon juice

1/2 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp garlic powder

Process all ingredients in a blender until very smooth. Adjust water and seasonings to taste and consistency desired. Keep refrigerated in an airtight container. For variation, blend in tomato and/or avocado for a salad or sandwich dressing.

Notes for adjustments I made. I used 2 tbsp of conc. lemon juice (knutsens is what we use). 3 tbsp is too much for our taste (haven't used fresh though). For beef stroganoff I also subbed the nuts because when I made this with sunflower seeds it overpowered the recipe. I used a few cashews (didn't have enough on hand) and almonds. Cashews blend up very smooth which is why I had wanted them but the almonds were good. They were slivered.

I make a lot of food because I like leftovers so this recipe may need to be cut down for you and your family.

Beef stroganoff

2 lbs beef (ground or cubed)

1 chopped onion (you can add more if you'd like)

1 tbsp garlic (I'm guessing)

4 8 oz containers mushrooms

3-6 tbsp rice flour

3 cups beef cooking stock (that's a guess too). We buy imangine foods.

3 cups sunny sour cream

Brown meat, when mostly brown add the chopped onion. If using ground beef spoon out most of the water/fat. When cooked add garlic and mushrooms. When cooked and 3 tbsp rice flour, keep adding more as needed to soak up the liquid in the pot. Add about 2 1/2 cups broth and stir, add about 2 1/2 cups sour cream. Add more broth and sour cream until you reach the desired consistency.

Note, I didn't add salt on it's own since broth tends to have more in it anyway. Adjust seasonings to taste.

I made this for 2 lbs of pasta. We use Tinkyada, choose which type of noodle you prefer. Don't know yet whether the pasta and sauce will even out at the end....but we like a lot of sauce over the noodles. :P

burdee Enthusiast

Where do you find the date sweetened dairy free carob chips? Obviously I can't eat the malt sweetened chips because of the gluten in malt (barley), but I would love to find the date alternative to try making that fudge recipe. It sounds yummy ... except for the raisins! :lol:

BURDEE

AndreaB Contributor

I was going to try it with enjoy life chocolate chips. They are the only ones I can eat. I haven't found date sweetened carob. Amazon sells sugar sweetened but doesn't list the ingredients.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ArtGirl Enthusiast

Thank you SO MUCH for posting these recipes. I haven't had a chance to read through them all, but am going to try the cashew cheese recipe very soon. And the mayonaise, too.

I have a question (if you've already mentioned this, sorrry)

Does the cashew cheese melt? Do you put it on a pizza before cooking or afterwards (in other words, does it melt/cook about the same timeframe as dairy cheese)?

With these recipes I'll be in seventh heaven :):):) (if there were a dancing smiley it'd be here)

AndreaB Contributor

If you make the cheese and freeze it as the recipe for Cashew Cheese directs it will melt, but very quickly. It doesn't hold together like dairy cheese but it does taste good.

The pimento cheese from Cooking by the Book tastes great on pizza. It will make it sloppier, but whats a little sloppy if it tastes so good. :P

When I make the cashew cheese for mac & cheese and mix it with the other cheese recipe I don't put the gel in. Only use the gel if you want to freeze it.

burdee Enthusiast

Hi Andrea:

Thanks for all those great celiac/vegan/soy free recipes!! I've printed and added them to my 'safe' recipes binder. I have some questions about ingredients:

(1) For the Almond Mayonnaise recipe, where do you find "Instant Clear Jel"? Can I substitute Knox Gelatine?

(2) Have you ever seen Date Sugar sweetened Carob Chips? I would order them online if you could give me a website for a manufacturer. Could I substitute another safe sweetner, plain cocoa powder, and oil?

Thanks again for this topic and your recipes.

BURDEE

AndreaB Contributor
Hi Andrea:

Thanks for all those great celiac/vegan/soy free recipes!! I've printed and added them to my 'safe' recipes binder. I have some questions about ingredients:

(1) For the Almond Mayonnaise recipe, where do you find "Instant Clear Jel"? Can I substitute Knox Gelatine?

(2) Have you ever seen Date Sugar sweetened Carob Chips? I would order them online if you could give me a website for a manufacturer. Could I substitute another safe sweetner, plain cocoa powder, and oil?

Thanks again for this topic and your recipes.

BURDEE

(1) I think I got the instant clear jel from Weimar Institute. They do have an online store now. Regular gel would probably work but you'd have to cook and cool it first. The instant clear jel is designed to go into things that don't need to be cooked. Ok, I have to thank you for this question.....I just went and searched for it.....Amazon has it by a supplier called Barry Farms.....<a href="Open Original Shared Link .com/Instant-Clear-Jel-1-lb/dp/B00015UC52" target="external ugc nofollow">Open Original Shared Link .com/Instant-Clear-Jel-1-lb/dp/B00015UC52</a>

(2) I have never seen the date sweetened chips. Barry Farms does have sugar sweetened but I don't know the other ingredients. Can you use chocolate? I have made something with carob powder before but I don't know if it would set up for fudge. It'd still taste good if you want to try it. I don't have any measurements because I just threw it together. Make a paste out of carob powder, coconut oil, and a tad of sugar (or other sweetener). I also used coconut but was making something similar to an almond joy. Maybe you could try making a very small batch (like 1/4 of the recipe) and see how it would turn out. It would still taste good even if it doesn't set up. If you can use chocolate than swap for that. I will be trying it with enjoy life chocolate chips when I make it again.

For some reason the link doesn't work.....go into amazon and search for instant clear jel. Sorry. :(

mythreesuns Contributor

What are yeast flakes?

I posted this before, but I forgot where I posted it and don't know if anyone answered. :huh:

Can you use regular yeast "pellets" in the jar?

AndreaB Contributor
What are yeast flakes?

I posted this before, but I forgot where I posted it and don't know if anyone answered. :huh:

Can you use regular yeast "pellets" in the jar?

Toni,

That was on the yeast flakes thread that you asked that. :D Below is what I copied. You can leave them out without any adverse effects. Changes the flavor a little though.

They are totally different than the yeast you bake with.

I'm not sure where you live but Fred Meyer/Krogers carries them in the natural food bulk isle. Wild Oats has them in the bulk isle. Co-op have them in the bulk section. Health food stores would probably be the same.

I haven't looked for them pre bagged so if you find them that way let me know please.

You don't have to use them but it gives the "cheese" a more cheesy flavor. I last made mac and cheese without it and the kids liked it just fine. We are used to cashew cheese though.

burdee Enthusiast

Andrea:

Yes I can tolerate Hershey's plain cocoa powder, but can't have anything with sugar or evaporated cane juice or other sugar cane derivatives. I'll try mixing cocoa with Agave or corn based fructose and coconut oil, to see how that works on a small batch. I really don't like the taste of carob. I'll let you know how that turns out after I try it. Thanks for the ideas.

BURDEE

jerseyangel Proficient

Andrea

Thanks for posting these. I plan to copy the almond milk and mock sour cream recipes! :)

mythreesuns Contributor
That was on the yeast flakes thread that you asked that. :D

Doh! :blink:

I'm not sure where you live but Fred Meyer/Krogers carries them in the natural food bulk isle. Wild Oats has them in the bulk isle. Co-op have them in the bulk section. Health food stores would probably be the same.

Um, what's a Kroger? :D

The only 2 choices I have for this kind of food (as far as I know) is Trader Joe's (small selection) or Whole Foods. Whole Foods does have something like a bulk section, so I'll check there. I didn't really know what I was looking for before so I just kept looking in the baking aisle.

You don't have to use them but it gives the "cheese" a more cheesy flavor.

Well, now, that's the whole point, isn't it? ;) I will most definitely NOT be going through all the trouble of blending up cashews if I'm not getting a cheesy flavor out of this whole process. I'm just not that curious. LOL

AndreaB Contributor

I haven't been in Trader Joes. Whole Foods is a pretty big store isn't it? They should be there. Get the large flakes if they have them. Although it really doesn't matter. They also have them at Wild Oats. Your smaller stores don't have them. Health foods stores might. You may even be able to get them online. Amazon seems to carry some harder to find items.

AndreaB Contributor

How about some more recipes.

Dream Cream Cheese from Guilt Free Gourmet by Vicki Griffin

2 c Blanced Almonds

2 Tb Emes Gelatin, unflavored

2 tsp Salt

2 Tb Lemon Juice

3 1/2 c Boiling water

Blend until very creamy and smooth.

Pour into bowl and chill until set.

Cracker Barrel Cheddar from Guilt Free Gourmet by Vicki Griffin

1/2 c Sesame Tahini (joyva brand is best)

1/4 c Lemon juice

4 Tb Nutritional Yeast Flakes

1/2 c Pimento

1 1/2 tsp Salt

1 tsp Onion powder

1/2 tsp Garlic powder

3 Tb Emes unflavored gelatin, dissolved in 1/2 C cold water

Bring an additional 1/2 C water to a boil.

Place ALL ingredients, including the gelatinn and boiling water, into a blender.

Blend thoroughly, until mixture is smooth and creamy.

Pour into a sprayed mold and refrigerate. A small bread pan works great for a mold.

When thoroughly chilled and set, turn out onto a dish.

Slices and melts well.

burdee Enthusiast

Thanks for more recipes, Andrea. I found the nutritional yeast at my local Fred Meyer. Which size flakes (medium or large) do you recommend. Sorry if you mentioned that in an earlier post in this topic, but I didn't want to reread the whole thing again. Also have you seen chickpea miso in any stores? My 'Uncheese' book recommends that in some of their recipes.

BURDEE

AndreaB Contributor

Burdee,

I haven't seen chickpea miso. I bought a used copy of the uncheese cookbook but haven't used it.

The size of the yeast flakes doesn't matter, they get blended up anyway.

DawnS Rookie

Thanks for posting the recipes (and for giving me the link to them on the other board)

I do have a question though...The gels I've found are corn based and regular gelatin is pork based...both are no-no's for me. Does anybody know whether agar agar would work in the cashew cheese recipe? I've never worked with it before, but from what I've read, it sounds like it should work like gelatin.

AndreaB Contributor

Dawn,

I have some agar agar that I use in bread instead of gelatin. Haven't tried it in the cheese but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I actually haven't made the cheese to set up for quite awhile as I've been using it with the other cheese sauce to make mac and cheese.

Here's a description (which you probably already now) from my cookbook.

Agar Agar (or kanten)

Pronounced "AH-ger. Comes from the algae "agar-agar." It is rich in calcium, iron, phosphorus, and vitamins. Used mainly as a thickener, agar is an excellent vegan substitute for gelatin, which is an animal product. Far superior to traditional gelatin, which offers few health benefits, it can be used in much the same way that gelatin is used. It comes in several forms--flakes, powder, or sticks, or bundles of strands. Available in most Asian food stores or natural food stores, but its likely to cost more in a natural food store. 1 stick = 3 Tbs (2 oz.) agar flakes = 3 tsp. agar powder = 24 strands.

If you make the cheese before I do let me know, and I'll do the same. I don't think I have enough agar agar right now though. :P

Green12 Enthusiast

Thanks Andrea, for taking the time to post these!

Great recipes :D

miamia Rookie
Dawn,

I have some agar agar that I use in bread instead of gelatin. Haven't tried it in the cheese but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I actually haven't made the cheese to set up for quite awhile as I've been using it with the other cheese sauce to make mac and cheese.

Here's a description (which you probably already now) from my cookbook.

Agar Agar (or kanten)

Pronounced "AH-ger. Comes from the algae "agar-agar." It is rich in calcium, iron, phosphorus, and vitamins. Used mainly as a thickener, agar is an excellent vegan substitute for gelatin, which is an animal product. Far superior to traditional gelatin, which offers few health benefits, it can be used in much the same way that gelatin is used. It comes in several forms--flakes, powder, or sticks, or bundles of strands. Available in most Asian food stores or natural food stores, but its likely to cost more in a natural food store. 1 stick = 3 Tbs (2 oz.) agar flakes = 3 tsp. agar powder = 24 strands.

If you make the cheese before I do let me know, and I'll do the same. I don't think I have enough agar agar right now though. :P

Andrea

which cheese recipe do you use for the macaroni and cheese

AndreaB Contributor
Andrea

which cheese recipe do you use for the macaroni and cheese

Melted Cheese Sauce (I use with Sliceable cheese w/o gel for mac & cheese)

I use both those for mac and cheese but I make a lot. I usually do 2 of the melted cheese with 1 of the cashew cheese....that works for 2 lbs of pasta. So if you're making a pound of pasta then do split that. I've found that the two cheeses together have the best flavor (at least to us).

Archived