This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anybody From Eastern Ohio , Western Pa Area?

Trish2006

Trish2006 Newbie

:rolleyes:

Would love to talk with anyone from around this area.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Hi

I'm 30 miles north of Pittsburgh Pa. You can pm me anytime ...... Are you going to the Columbus Conference?

mamaw

Let us know about yourself.....

Trish2006 Newbie
Hi

I'm 30 miles north of Pittsburgh Pa. You can pm me anytime ...... Are you going to the Columbus Conference?

mamaw

Let us know about yourself.....

Hi,

I am orginally from Ellwood City Pa which is 30 miles north of Pittsburgh, moved to Ohio a year ago. Just have been diagnosed with celiac a month ago. Looking for some support groups and conferences around the area, along with people to talk to. When is the Columbus conference?

mamaw Community Regular
Hi,

I am orginally from Ellwood City Pa which is 30 miles north of Pittsburgh, moved to Ohio a year ago. Just have been diagnosed with celiac a month ago. Looking for some support groups and conferences around the area, along with people to talk to. When is the Columbus conference?

I live in Butler so we were fairly close. I go to the vet in Ellwood City monthly-- for my pets of course....

The conference is 11-4-06 $30.00 if you register before 9-22-06 .Where do you live in Ohio?there is a raisin rack store in Canton & columbus. great store a wide selection I call it a gluten-free haven........

A great cookbook is from from Annalise Roberts called gluten-free baking classics. it is the very best........

There a many mainstream foods you can use off the store shelf. Progresso portbella mushroom soup, the onion soup, the chicken corn chowder. Amy's tomato bisque soup is wonderful.The best pasta I've found is BiAglut, next is tinkyada. the firstone is like the real deal.Glutino pretzels are better then the real ones .If you have a store near you that carry Bell & Evans stuff they now have a gluten-free chicken nugget -black box. I do alot by mailorder.

there is alot to buy at the conference.If you go to the post on Columbus conference it will give you info. several of us have posted about it....

if there is anything in particular you need to know just ask & I'll try to answer the ?

mamaw

STINGER Newbie

I'M NOT A CELIAC, BUT I AM HERE FOR MY FRIEND, WE LIVE IN NE OH NEAR THE PA BORDER, ABOUT A HALF HOUR FROM ELLWOOD CITY. SHE WAS DIAGNOSED ALMOST A WEEK AGO, I'VE BEEN IN HERE FOR A FEW DAYS SEARCHING FOR INFORMATION FOR HER AND BUGGING FOLKS WITH ANOYING QUESTIONS. BUT I FIGURE, THE MORE I KNOW, THE EASIER IT WILL BE FOR ME TO HELP HER. I'VE BEEN TAKING NOTES, I KNOW IT SOUNDS REDICULOUS, BUT THIS IS NEW FOR US, AND I'M AFRAID I MAY FORGET STUFF. ALTHOUGH I THINK I KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS THAN HER DOCTORS DO.

mamaw Community Regular

Stinger

welcome to the group... Yes, you probably do know more than most doctors as most of them are clueless about celiacs........You will learn loads from this great group of people. I truly think Doctors should join here so they can learn......

Keep in mind the Columbus Conference on Nov.4 2006. It's a great way to meet others and it is really a good conference for the $35.00 per person. Plus you can buy terrific gluten-free foods there. I stock up for the winter because here in Butler there is not much choice.

If I can help you both in any way please feel free to pm anytime.

Let me know if you can make the conference.......

mamaw

teebs in WV Apprentice

Mamaw - thanks for the tip on the Columbus conference - this is the first I have heard of it. I have not logged onto this board routinely for a while. I am about 2 hours from Columbus - that is where my GI doc is. I will look for the thread on the conference - I will more than likely go if I can work it into my work and school schedules.

thanks again!

Tracy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Teebs in W Va

It's really a nice get- to- gether!!!!! Hope you can get to it, let me know & we can meet there....

mamaw

teebs in WV Apprentice

Mamaw - I checked my calendar and saw that this conference is on a Saturday. I have class every Sat. until Dec. 16. But, I am very tempted to skip to go to this. My oldest son is a senior in High School, and he has to do a "senior project". He has decided to do it on Celiac Disease, so I think going to this conference would not only be good for me, but also good in helping him become more educated on the disease.

If I decide to go I will definitely let you all know - I would love to meet other people living with the disease. I have yet to meet anyone who really understands.........

Thanks!

Tracy

Trish2006 Newbie
I'M NOT A CELIAC, BUT I AM HERE FOR MY FRIEND, WE LIVE IN NE OH NEAR THE PA BORDER, ABOUT A HALF HOUR FROM ELLWOOD CITY. SHE WAS DIAGNOSED ALMOST A WEEK AGO, I'VE BEEN IN HERE FOR A FEW DAYS SEARCHING FOR INFORMATION FOR HER AND BUGGING FOLKS WITH ANOYING QUESTIONS. BUT I FIGURE, THE MORE I KNOW, THE EASIER IT WILL BE FOR ME TO HELP HER. I'VE BEEN TAKING NOTES, I KNOW IT SOUNDS REDICULOUS, BUT THIS IS NEW FOR US, AND I'M AFRAID I MAY FORGET STUFF. ALTHOUGH I THINK I KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS THAN HER DOCTORS DO.

Hello Stinger,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. That is great you want to be supportive of your friend. Any questions you may have I will try to answer the best I can. I have been doing this for a little over a month and seen tremendous improvements in my health. I will help you out as much as I can. Take care.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I'm in Pittsburgh, but this board is as close to a support group/conference as I can get (not enough time!)! You guys will just have to tell me all about the Columbus conference!

rlemmon Apprentice

Hi guys. I live in clarion pa its 90 miles north of pittsburgh

Kim Explorer

Hi Everyone.

The Columbus Conference is wonderful. I will be there as well, as we are every year. My family and I have a gluten-free food company, 1-2-3 Gluten Free, and we'll have a table again. Please feel free to stop by and introduce yourselves. I've had celiac for over 7 years and am happy to answer any questions for you. Please feel free to PM me as well.

Kim.

1-2-3 Gluten Free, Inc.

www.123glutenfree.com

3blessed Newbie

Sounds like you are very close. I live by Cranberry. I have had celiac disease for 8 years but have never been to a celiac disease conference. This would be good for me to do. Nice to meet you.

Hey, I'm just 20 minutes South of Cranberry! And I see Mamaw's on--she's in BUtler, that's practically next door to you!

mamaw Community Regular

Hi 3blessed

Can you go to the Columbus Conference? If you are planning be sure to register very quickly as it fills up fairly fast......I'm in Cranberry at least once a week.....

Do you attend the Pittsburgh celiac meetings? I don't because they are always in S. Hills ..... I think its time we start a small group get-to-gether in Cranberry.It doesn't have to be official but it's nice to get to know others who are in the same boat.....

I'm guessing I would be the oldest one but I'm young at heart.....

Feel free to e-mail me anytime.

mamaw

I'm guessing I would be the oldest one

mamaw

Now, just remember--we are all aging at the same rate! ;)

mamaw Community Regular

Fiddle-Faddle

thanks for the thought!!!! But I guess no matter how you cut it I'm still older.... life is a journey & I'm still running so I'm okay with being older...................... I always tell my kids they are the ones that are getting older...... My Mother is gonna be 86 & looks so young so I'm hoping I too can reach that age in good or fairly good health........

mamaw

3blessed Newbie

I would love to have a celiac disease group in cranberry.

Just not sure about the conference. I wish I would have known about it sooner. How far is it?

What local dr.s do you use?

mamaw Community Regular

3blessed

The mileage to Columbus is about 220 & about 3 1/2 hrs from Butler.

There is a get to gether planned at Sunnybridge, McMurray Pa for Nov.11.06, you must call to register. It is not a conference or anything like one. Gina who is the owner has samples of gluten-free foods she's made & of course she hopes for big sales that day. If you have a note from a doctor they give discounts when stuff is not on sale.

The conference is worth the trip esp. if you are new to the disease..plus the foods you can purchase & then the big Raisin Rack Store ( which I love). it's a gluten-free haven......

If you have any ????'s please feel free to e-mail or pm me . I have sampled & taste tested many products...

mamaw

Guest motherof6
Hey, I'm just 20 minutes South of Cranberry! And I see Mamaw's on--she's in BUtler, that's practically next door to you!

I'm in Sugar Grove which is in PA on the NY state line. My daughters gastro is in Sewickly which is almost in Cranberry. Pittsburg Childrens hospital is out of this world we love the DRs

debmidge Rising Star

I am not in W PA or E OH, but my mom's family is from Johnstown PA. I have relatives there. PM me if you are interested in their family names...maybe we're related!

mamaw Community Regular

debmidge

for me I have no known relatives in Johnstown, Pa.Sorry!!!!I new a person I went to school with named Tony Gornick but he is deceasesed now.

mamaw

• 1 month later...
zansu Rookie
Do you attend the Pittsburgh celiac meetings? I don't because they are always in S. Hills .....

Where? I'm new to Pittsburgh and I live in the south, although I go to school in town.

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Zansu

Welcome to Pittsburgh! Go to www.pittsburghceliacs.org

they will have events listed or call 412-833-9507..I know there is a cookie exchange & a holiday dinner coming up. I don't attend as again it is out of my way.....

I did attend a informal meeting last Sat. at Sunnybridge natural foods.McMurray, Pa

How long have you been gluten-free????

mamaw

Archived