#1 GFBetsy

GFBetsy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:14 PM

Hey -

Heard on the news that there have been about 50 cases of E-Coli in the US traced back (apparently) to raw, bagged spinach. They aren't sure which brand yet, or even if the contamination is still going on, but they decided to release the information just in case. ("They" being the CDC, I think.)

Anyway, just a heads-up. The said on the news that it should be okay to eat it cooked, just not raw (for salads, etc.)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_~jules~_*

Guest_~jules~_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:25 PM

Hey -

Heard on the news that there have been about 50 cases of E-Coli in the US traced back (apparently) to raw, bagged spinach. They aren't sure which brand yet, or even if the contamination is still going on, but they decided to release the information just in case. ("They" being the CDC, I think.)

Anyway, just a heads-up. The said on the news that it should be okay to eat it cooked, just not raw (for salads, etc.)

Ya I saw that on my local news tonight around 5 p.m. I guess someone from Oregon passed away because of it, so everyone watch the spinach.....

#3 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

I've had raw spinach this week. I believe it's organic, but it is bagged.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#4 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:35 AM

A person died from Wisconsin and they are telling us to throw all bagged spinach out. I eat spinach every week but get the stuff in the plastic containers. I'm not sure if its any safer. There's no way I can handle having e-coli in my gut. I'm to immune deficient. I'm wondering if frozen spinach is safer? Any comments?

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#5 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:04 AM

Heres a ton of news on it....

http://news.google.c...r....html&hl=en

- Vincent -

#6 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:44 AM

Yeah, I've been eating it all week and am finishing the bag off today ! :huh:
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#7 cgilsing

cgilsing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:42 AM

Whoa! Thanks for the info! I was going to make a spinach quiche tonight! I'll make sure the spinach is well done! :D

#8 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:01 PM

Our local news just said that there are several people here who are very sick from the spinach . . . . .
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#9 skinnyminny

skinnyminny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:55 PM

I ate spinach yesterday...bagged dole spinach that is I am scared now how long will it take to know if I have it?

#10 skinnyminny

skinnyminny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:35 PM

I am a hypocandriac or however you spell that but I have been eating spinach 3 days this week and my tummy is hurting, I hope there is no relation.

#11 pinkpei77

pinkpei77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:45 PM

hhmmm.. i eat organic local grown spinach here in vermont.
im sure thats safe... what do you guys think?
coleen

diagnosed 1/2005
gluten free since 1/2005

XVEGANX

#12 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:52 PM

Skinnyminny,

I don't know, I don't know what the symptoms are. :(

I just threw out our bagged organic spinach. I had eaten a little of one bag a couple days ago. I figured organic would probably be safe but we didn't want to take any chances. I also threw out the stuff that was in the bin with the spinach and washed the bin with hot sudsy water.

Andrea

Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#13 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:54 PM

On my local news, just a couple minutes ago, they said that even if the affected spinach was re-washed, it probably wouldn't have done any good because it (e-coli) was embedded in the leaves.

I'm thinking about the fact that I eat bagged salad almost every day. I don't wash it--but even if I did, maybe it wouldn't do any good.

I may go back to buying the whole heads of lettuces and wash them myself.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the safety of the bagged greens, in general? The bagged salads are just so convenient, and dry :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#14 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:57 PM

As far as I know the bagged salads aren't a problem, just the bagged spinach.

Andrea

#15 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:59 PM

As far as I know the bagged salads aren't a problem, just the bagged spinach.

I know they aren't connected to this outbreak--I was kind of thinking out loud :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: