#16 CarlaB

CarlaB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:03 PM

CarlaB will curse you of course since she will have to live up to her promise

Promise of you teaching me to cook fancy stuff! Why would I be cursing about that ... only because I am not remodeling my kitchen till next summer ... and I do only live about a two hour drive from Lynne. :)

I just wanted to add, if she's supplementing B6 individually, she might want to take it with a B complex supplement as well. B vitamins work together and I've heard it can be hard on the nervous system to just take one all by itself.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:03 PM

There you go . . . . . . :lol:

Just saw the addition . . . will tell her about the B complex in addition to B6. They're all water-soluble, so if she gets too much, she'll just pee it out!!!
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#18 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:06 PM

There you go . . . . . . :lol:

Just saw the addition . . . will tell her about the B complex in addition to B6. They're all water-soluble, so if she gets too much, she'll just pee it out!!!

True, but you wouldn't want to be getting enough of one and not enough of the others I guess. A nutritionist told me this a while back.
gluten-free 12/05

#19 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:07 PM

That's really good advice . . . thanks, Carla. Also, thanks for making me smile a little . . . it's a little refreshing given that I've been bawling since she called . . . . .
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#20 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:13 PM

Oh, don't cry ... then I'll have to start in with stupid jokes! :lol:

I don't know about you, but I'd love to hear Steve try and pronounce Louisville correctly with his English accent!! :lol:
gluten-free 12/05

#21 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:15 PM

I LOVE English accents . . . . but I don't think he could say Luh(a)vull in that beautiful accent! :lol: :lol:
Lynne

#22 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:17 PM

No way, heck, he'd have trouble enough recognizing that they are speaking English there!!!
gluten-free 12/05

#23 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:12 PM

Lynne-

I used to work in battered women shelters and for a county in California in the department of child services. Needles to say I tested positive to TB. I remember having a chest x-ray and having to take medication for 6 months. It must have not been active. At the time it did not seem to be a big deal. I don't remember the medication or it having any side effects. To be honest I forgot all about it until I read your thread then my thought was "oh, yea, I had that". I will pray that all will work out best for your daughters health.

Hez

#24 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:57 PM

My son, adopted from Russia, came to us with latent TB. He was on the INH for 9 months, had no side-effects and all is well now. I did give him his vitamins regularly and tried to keep him on low sugar and probiotics while he was on the medication. It's really nothing to worry about - just sounds awful when you first hear about it.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#25 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:03 PM

Oh my gosh, I hope your Ashely will be okay. It's good she found out!

#26 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:15 PM

Hi Lynne,

Latent TB in kids is usually treated because the longer you live with latent TB, the greater your chances are of it becoming active.

Other than that, watch her liver
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#27 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:42 PM

Jestgar- Thank you for rembering the liver! I forgot they did blood work to make sure I had good liver function.

Hez

#28 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:56 PM

I just found out that my daughter, Ashley, has been diagnosed with latent TB. She had to have a TB test at school, and the nurse told her that the reaction was the worst she had seen. They did a number of panels of bloodwork, and her "numbers" -- I don't know WHAT numbers -- were extremely high. A chest X-ray showed that it was normal, and they said that she doesn't have ACTIVE TB.

The doctor at school said that she thinks Ashley contracted it when she was volunteering for Big Brothers / Big Sisters. She said that those kids are frequently exposed to TB, but do not have regular immunizations or testing, so it's difficult to know.

At this point, they are putting Ash on medication -- I believe she said INH (???) for 9 months. She will have to have a chest x-ray once per month during that time to make sure that it has not become active. She said that the doctor indicated that increased stress levels, illness, and I can't remember the others can induce the TB to become active.

My books are all in boxes and piled 5-high. If anyone knows ANYTHING about this, I would appreciate any information you can give me.

Also, if you are the praying type, I would appreciate those, too.

Thank you,
Lynne

Lynne,

I presume she has had the Manitou test. She does not have TB but it means she has been exposed to TB if she shows levels on it. It can go away as my mother many long years ago showed levels on the Manitou test and her mother died from TB. But that was way back when they had no way to treat TB. My mother no longer shows TB levels. Sometimes it does leave and sometimes it just stays dormant. But for her to show levels she had to have been near a person with active TB.

Just she has to be careful for awhile. It is not as bad as it used to be. At one time if you showed latent TB levels you could not leave the country. Just keep an eye on it for awhile.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#29 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:04 PM

What a shock and scare for you, Lynne! I'm so glad grp is on top of it--sounds like he probably knows and understands more about it than most doctors. (But, yeah, I'd be happy to bring over some chicken soup anyway!)

#30 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:21 PM

Thank you all for your information . . . I feel a LOT better. It was so scary when I first heard it -- with her asthma, etc., I was so worried. Now that I've heard other's stories, and know that it is going to be okay, I'm not nearly as scared. Thank you. Lynne

And the chicken soup sounds like a VERY good idea . . . . our friend Helen passed away three months ago. She was the stereotypical "Jewish Mother" -- Ashley would have had Matzo-Ball soup for the next 9 months! Fiddle Faddle, even though she didn't believe in heaven or hell, I still know she's looking down and smiling, shaking her head "yes" at you!!!
Lynne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: