This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Puking Child... Whats Best Move? Brat?

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

OKay my 3 year old has had extremly liquid stools twice in the last few hours, and puked up everything. I think its prbly just a stomache virus and not gluten since he was with us all day. I ran out (got a speeding ticket :o ) and got some banananas and apples for the BRAT diet, but dunno what to giv ehim to drink? Whats the best way to weahter this?

Oh he as hot to the touch, but I did not thermometer him, gave him some tyneol.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

marciab Enthusiast

I would give him Gatorade, pedialyte, water or Sprite / 7-up that has been stirred up to get the bubbles out.

Hope he feels better soon. Good luck tonight :) Marcia

Guest Robbin
OKay my 3 year old has had extremly liquid stools twice in the last few hours, and puked up everything. I think its prbly just a stomache virus and not gluten since he was with us all day. I ran out (got a speeding ticket :o ) and got some banananas and apples for the BRAT diet, but dunno what to giv ehim to drink? Whats the best way to weahter this?

Oh he as hot to the touch, but I did not thermometer him, gave him some tyneol.

I am so sorry he is sick. I hate it when they throw up. I would try a little diluted gatorade or pedialyte. Just a teeny bit to see if he holds it down, if he holds it down for about half an hour, try a little more. Dehydration is very serious in a little one. If he looks really dry mouthed, and cannot keep anything down, I would go to the emergency room or urgent care.

I think if you do a google, you could find a recipe for homemade pedialyte or gatorade. They replace electrolytes that are lost in vomiting and D. Keep us posted on the little guy's progress.

Maybe someone here has the recipe for one of those?

VydorScope Proficient

All I have on hand is..

Whole Milk

100% Pure Grape Juice

Diet Caf free Cola

Filtered Water

Flavored carbinated water

Any of those work? He is a sleep right now... I hope he can sleep through the worst of this.

AndreaB Contributor

I was going to say pedialyte also.

Keep us posted on how he's doing please. :(

Guest ~jules~
I am so sorry he is sick. I hate it when they throw up. I would try a little diluted gatorade or pedialyte. Just a teeny bit to see if he holds it down, if he holds it down for about half an hour, try a little more. Dehydration is very serious in a little one. If he looks really dry mouthed, and cannot keep anything down, I would go to the emergency room or urgent care.

I think if you do a google, you could find a recipe for homemade pedialyte or gatorade. They replace electrolytes that are lost in vomiting and D. Keep us posted on the little guy's progress.

Maybe someone here has the recipe for one of those?

When my kids get sick like that my youngest gets it really bad. I've had to hospitalize him for dehydration twice, both times they gave him an IV. The best thing I can say here is if its coming out both ends, give the child very very small amounts of pedialyte, if he seems to be okay holding that down, increase the amount a little more each time. Just make sure you keep him hydrated. Sometimes I even get the pedialyte popsicles, or just regular ones when they can't hold anything down, they can take those in slowly. Oh and don't let the medicine for fever lapse, when the 4 hours or whatever is up make sure he gets more, you need to keep that fever down. I prefer childrens motrin through the night because it lasts 6-8 hours instead of tylenol which is only 4. I hope the poor thing is feeling better, I can't stand it when my kids are sick, its so hard on them. If none of this works, you can go to urgent care they can give you a suppository for the nausea and fever...Those aren't any fun but as a last resort they do the job.

AndreaB Contributor

I was told by my pediatrician when my daughter was younger to give fever reducer if the fever was over 102, but they didn't recommend it before that. The body needs to have a chance to fight the infection and can't if the fever is brought down too much too soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
All I have on hand is..

Whole Milk

100% Pure Grape Juice

Diet Caf free Cola

Filtered Water

Flavored carbinated water

Any of those work? He is a sleep right now... I hope he can sleep through the worst of this.

So none of those are good choices? I prbly wont give him any more med unless he wakes. I might slip in and check him in a few hours though. Tyneol is much genlter on the stomche thats why I grabed it over hte motrin.

Guest Robbin

Victor, do not give him juice. It will make it worse. Give him some filtered water with a little sugar and a sprinkle of salt. I have done this (a nurse friend told me she does this). I have also given them an ice cube in a clean washcloth to suck on to keep their little mouth wet. If he can keep a couple of tablespoons down (use maybe two or three tsps sugar and maybe 1/8 tsp salt to 8 oz water) for a while, then you could slowly increase a little more. This is basically what pedialyte is with flavoring. If he can have koolaid, ( I am not sure of his allergies ) give him some diluted with water. Not too much sugar, though because of the D. Fruit juice is not a good idea because of the D.

Check on allrecipes.com or recipezaar, I think I saw a homemade gatorade or pedialyte recipe on one of those)

snowygiraffe Rookie

My daughter dehydrates extremly fast and if I don't have anything else on hand such as gatorade pedylite ect. I give either a popsicle or ice cube to suck on slowly. I hope he feels better soon i know its tough not only on him but you guys too.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

You can make your own "Gatorade" type drink ("Fakerade?") : (I'm guessing proportions here, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to get the little guy sicker) 8 parts water, 1 part grape juice,a Tablespoonful of sugar, and a teaspoonful of salt. Mix really well, then pour maybe one ounce into a sippee cup filled with crushed ice.

I usually wait one hour from the last barf to try this--you need to give the tummy time to settle down. If he's really whining for water, put like a spoonful of water in a cup of ice chips. For food, I wait at least a couple hours from the last barf, and make sure that he's held down sips of water or gatorade or fakerade for at least an hour. Then I try a a little plain broth (beef or chicken) (you know me and chicken s oup!) and, if that stays down, a little white rice. I don't do bananas and applesauce til the rice and soup stay down. I also do Jello and popsicles.) I used to do crackers and pretzels, but I think the gluten-free ones are tougher to digest.

I wouldn't wake him from a sleep, but when he does wake, line his bed with some nice thick towels. That way, hopefully, you don't have to remake the whole bed in the middle of the night, you just peel off towels and add a couple more.

Hope ya get some sleep. I guess flu season has officially started....

I wouldn't do any kind of a fever reducer unless you think he might have febrile convulsions. Otherwise, let the body do its work: it needs to kill the germs with heat. I think Tylenoling every little fever makes illnessses last longer. I only use it for headaches or if they really feel generally lousy and achy. A cool wet washcloth on the forehead usually makes them feel a tiny bit better, and makes me feel like I'm actually doing something vaguely useful! (If he doesn't want it, put it onyour own forehead!)

Guest Robbin

I agree, the fruit juice might be a good idea to flavor it. That is why I thought maybe koolaid, but you could use a little of the grape juice you have on hand.

I love the washcloth for the parent's head too. Mine is sick right now, but with ear infection, sinus, and asthma. He's older, and you don't worry so much as with a baby. Take care Vincent, you need to rest too. Btw, I think you are an amazing father. :)

VydorScope Proficient
You can make your own "Gatorade" type drink ("Fakerade?") : (I'm guessing proportions here, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to get the little guy sicker) 8 parts water, 1 part grape juice,a Tablespoonful of sugar, and a teaspoonful of salt. Mix really well, then pour maybe one ounce into a sippee cup filled with crushed ice.

I usually wait one hour from the last barf to try this--you need to give the tummy time to settle down. If he's really whining for water, put like a spoonful of water in a cup of ice chips. For food, I wait at least a couple hours from the last barf, and make sure that he's held down sips of water or gatorade or fakerade for at least an hour. Then I try a a little plain broth (beef or chicken) (you know me and chicken s oup!) and, if that stays down, a little white rice. I don't do bananas and applesauce til the rice and soup stay down. I also do Jello and popsicles.) I used to do crackers and pretzels, but I think the gluten-free ones are tougher to digest.

I wouldn't wake him from a sleep, but when he does wake, line his bed with some nice thick towels. That way, hopefully, you don't have to remake the whole bed in the middle of the night, you just peel off towels and add a couple more.

Hope ya get some sleep. I guess flu season has officially started....

I wouldn't do any kind of a fever reducer unless you think he might have febrile convulsions. Otherwise, let the body do its work: it needs to kill the germs with heat. I think Tylenoling every little fever makes illnessses last longer. I only use it for headaches or if they really feel generally lousy and achy. A cool wet washcloth on the forehead usually makes them feel a tiny bit better, and makes me feel like I'm actually doing something vaguely useful! (If he doesn't want it, put it onyour own forehead!)

Thanks! I will try your fakerade if he wakes.

Ursa Major Collaborator

I agree, Vincent, don't give Tylenol unless the fever is either extremely high, or his headache gets so bad that he can't tolerate it at all. The fever is what kills the virus, viruses are very heat sensitive. So, bringing the fever down will prolong the illness.

The 'fakerade' sounds like a great idea, and is probably healthier than the Gatorade, anyway.

I always find that when I am sick, even when I start feeling better, I don't like the usual food at all. My kids and I like to just eat food like canned peaches and pears, broth, popsicles, stuff like that, the day after vomiting. If he screams 'HUNGER!!!!' though, that's a good sign, and you should give him something a little bit (not a lot) more substantial (not before tomorrow afternoon at the earliest).

Don't worry too much, Timmy will be fine! There is only real concern if the diarrhea and vomiting won't stop by tomorrow night. Or if his face starts looking really drawn and his eyes sunken, with really dry lips. Those would be signs of serious dehydration, and a reason to go to the hospital. But I doubt that will happen.

I'll say a prayer for you guys.

VydorScope Proficient

Thanks all he si still sleeping and all the bedding is clean so I am off to bed.... hopefully he gets a goodnights rest in that usally is a big factor in getting better... and the hardest thing to get!

jerseyangel Proficient

I wasn't on last night at all--sorry to hear that Tim is sick :(

I hope he is better this morning :)

CarlaB Enthusiast

For dehydration instead of Gatorade use 1 quart of water with 7 tsp. sugar and one tsp. salt. Don't have him drink much of it till he's done vomiting ... maybe only enough to wet his mouth till then.

VydorScope Proficient

WEll today he is acting like he feels sick, but did not puke since 9pm yesterday. So letting him drink some fakeraid. He is not happy about the small portions though, not at all.

CarlaB Enthusiast

If he holds it down, he might be ready for larger portions ... but still control the amount ... but 12 hours no puking, that's good and he's probably ready for more.

jerseyangel Proficient

Well, hopefully, the worst is over. The displeasure over the small portions is a good sign!

I usually gave my boys popsicles at this point--hard to get too much too fast with those, and it keeps them busy for a while so they think they're getting more to eat than they really are ;)

Hope mom and dad got some rest last night, too! :)

VydorScope Proficient

gonna wiat out a full hour from the first drink before trying popiscles but thats a good idea. Allwe ahve are those flvor ice things.

Cheri A Contributor

((hugs)) Hope the little guy is feeling better soon!!

I also have a sick little girl today! :(

VydorScope Proficient

He still warm to the touch (last check was 99.9) but has had a few small drinks (15-20 mins a part) and a popsicle so far so good. He wants food so gonna lete him try 1/2 a banana I think.

Guest ~jules~
He still warm to the touch (last check was 99.9) but has had a few small drinks (15-20 mins a part) and a popsicle so far so good. He wants food so gonna lete him try 1/2 a banana I think.

Glad to hear the fever is going down and he's feeling better....Its not fun for anyone when the kids get sick...My whole family has a nasty cold right now...ugh!!! :(

jerseyangel Proficient

Just checking in--hope the banana stayed down! Hopefully he'll nap today--that'll be the best thing for him right now. :)

Cheri--hope your little girl feels better soon!

Jules--the whole family? :( You guys feel better too.

Archived