Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Know If Eggs Can Cause Intestinal Gas?

• Please log in to reply

10 replies to this topic

#1 IrishKelly

IrishKelly

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:19 AM

I had two very plain scrambled eggs (no milk or anything) yesterday and today i have intestinal gas like something is alive in me. Does this make sense to anyone? I know besides gluten, dairy really gives me intestinal gas...but what about eggs??
Gluten Free...negative blood results...absolutely positive diet results.
Dairy Free...absolutely positive diet results.
Egg Free...there goes another one...absolutely positive diet results.
Allergic to Codeine.

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which ones may have gluten in them:)"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:26 AM

You could have egg (white and/or yolk) allergies. If your celiac symptoms were misdiagnosed for many years, you can develop other IgG or IgA antibody mediated allergies, in addition to gluten intolerance. Consider getting an ELISA blood test panel for IgG allergies to 100 commonly eaten foods. Or eliminate all egg, gluten and dairy products and observe whether intestinal gas disappears.
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:27 AM

Oh yes--eggs can definately have that effect! I get gas, and terrible nausea from eggs. I find that I can only eat them if they are a small part of a recipe--I could never eat them plain.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 IrishKelly

IrishKelly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:38 AM

Oh yes--eggs can definately have that effect! I get gas, and terrible nausea from eggs. I find that I can only eat them if they are a small part of a recipe--I could never eat them plain.

Ahhhhhhhhh...that makes sense to me! The gluten/dairy free bread i buy has a tiny amount of eggs in it and it never bothers me, but the regular eggs seem to bother me. Does anything else bother you? Thanks for your help!!
Allergic to Codeine.

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which ones may have gluten in them:)"

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:49 AM

Ahhhhhhhhh...that makes sense to me! The gluten/dairy free bread i buy has a tiny amount of eggs in it and it never bothers me, but the regular eggs seem to bother me. Does anything else bother you? Thanks for your help!!

Unfortunately, I have many intolerances! They would include:dairy, soy, legumes, coconut, and tapioca. I figured them out, with the help of my allergist, who suggested an elimination diet.
Patti

#6 IrishKelly

IrishKelly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:16 AM

Unfortunately, I have many intolerances! They would include:dairy, soy, legumes, coconut, and tapioca. I figured them out, with the help of my allergist, who suggested an elimination diet.

Do all of these intolerances have the same effect on you?
Allergic to Codeine.

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:22 AM

Do all of these intolerances have the same effect on you?

They all cause various degrees of GI problems--the worst being soy (cramping, gas) and tapioca (D, nausea, stomach pain). I suspect the legumes may have been the cause of my long standing eczema because after I cut those out, it went away, and has not returned.

The intolerances tend to only cause physical symptoms for me--gluten, on the other hand, causes both GI and neurological issues.
Patti

#8 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:57 AM

Yeah eggs mess me up something fierce too. I can handle things with eggs in them, like bread, but just eating an eggs or something that is mainly egg takes me out for about a day. Feirce stomach cramping/nausea pain without the ability to pass anything. UGh.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#9 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:32 PM

I also get gas, diarrhea, joint pain, brain fog and extreme exhaustion from eggs. When I tested eggs in January (after not eating them for 3 months), I went to bed at 10:00 PM (I was suddenly awfully tired), and didn't wake up until 3:00 PM the next day! I thought the clock must have stopped. Those eggs just put me right out. And I only ate a few bites of the scrambled eggs I made for my family.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#10 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:35 PM

Am I remembering correctly that you got glutened or ill or something a few days ago? Sorry I can't remember for sure .... there are so many people on the board ...

If you were, maybe that is causing you to be sensitive to eggs -- I know my tummy is sensitive when it's upset. You might cut them out for a week or two, then test. Or else do the allergy testing that someone recommended.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#11 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:43 PM

I used to be able to eat eggs every three days, but not anymore. They give me horrible gas and bloating immediately now. I can have them in a cake or something though. Marcia
Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)
August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...
July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)
Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)
September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: