Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Anyone Know If Eggs Can Cause Intestinal Gas?

11 posts in this topic

I had two very plain scrambled eggs (no milk or anything) yesterday and today i have intestinal gas like something is alive in me. Does this make sense to anyone? I know besides gluten, dairy really gives me intestinal gas...but what about eggs??

You could have egg (white and/or yolk) allergies. If your celiac symptoms were misdiagnosed for many years, you can develop other IgG or IgA antibody mediated allergies, in addition to gluten intolerance. Consider getting an ELISA blood test panel for IgG allergies to 100 commonly eaten foods. Or eliminate all egg, gluten and dairy products and observe whether intestinal gas disappears.

BURDEE

Oh yes--eggs can definately have that effect! I get gas, and terrible nausea from eggs. I find that I can only eat them if they are a small part of a recipe--I could never eat them plain.

Oh yes--eggs can definately have that effect! I get gas, and terrible nausea from eggs. I find that I can only eat them if they are a small part of a recipe--I could never eat them plain.

Ahhhhhhhhh...that makes sense to me! The gluten/dairy free bread i buy has a tiny amount of eggs in it and it never bothers me, but the regular eggs seem to bother me. Does anything else bother you? Thanks for your help!!

Ahhhhhhhhh...that makes sense to me! The gluten/dairy free bread i buy has a tiny amount of eggs in it and it never bothers me, but the regular eggs seem to bother me. Does anything else bother you? Thanks for your help!!

Unfortunately, I have many intolerances! They would include:dairy, soy, legumes, coconut, and tapioca. I figured them out, with the help of my allergist, who suggested an elimination diet.

Unfortunately, I have many intolerances! They would include:dairy, soy, legumes, coconut, and tapioca. I figured them out, with the help of my allergist, who suggested an elimination diet.

Do all of these intolerances have the same effect on you?

Do all of these intolerances have the same effect on you?

They all cause various degrees of GI problems--the worst being soy (cramping, gas) and tapioca (D, nausea, stomach pain). I suspect the legumes may have been the cause of my long standing eczema because after I cut those out, it went away, and has not returned.

The intolerances tend to only cause physical symptoms for me--gluten, on the other hand, causes both GI and neurological issues.

Yeah eggs mess me up something fierce too. I can handle things with eggs in them, like bread, but just eating an eggs or something that is mainly egg takes me out for about a day. Feirce stomach cramping/nausea pain without the ability to pass anything. UGh.

Elonwy

I also get gas, diarrhea, joint pain, brain fog and extreme exhaustion from eggs. When I tested eggs in January (after not eating them for 3 months), I went to bed at 10:00 PM (I was suddenly awfully tired), and didn't wake up until 3:00 PM the next day! I thought the clock must have stopped. Those eggs just put me right out. And I only ate a few bites of the scrambled eggs I made for my family.

Am I remembering correctly that you got glutened or ill or something a few days ago? Sorry I can't remember for sure .... there are so many people on the board ...

If you were, maybe that is causing you to be sensitive to eggs -- I know my tummy is sensitive when it's upset. You might cut them out for a week or two, then test. Or else do the allergy testing that someone recommended.

I used to be able to eat eggs every three days, but not anymore. They give me horrible gas and bloating immediately now. I can have them in a cake or something though. Marcia