This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Catch Y'all Later.

penguin

Rikki Tikki Explorer
Actually, I would say the car needs washed, but the kitchen one doesn't sound right. :blink:

Carla: Could it be the kitchen needs cleaning? Or I must go clean the kitchen? Or the kitchen's a d**n mess and I need to get off my a** and clean it. At least that's what I am saying to myself! :P:P:P

I am going to see my mom, or mama for the weekend, so all of you have a great one!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DingoGirl Enthusiast
In New Jersey we never say "go to the beach" or "to the ocean"--we say "down the shore". Like, 'this weekend went down the shore.' :)

IN Central California, everyone says "going to the coast" (and could mean any beach in Central coast of CA) and for some reason it drives me crazy....probably because it's SO over-used in Match.com by Central Californians - "love going to the Coast....holding hands on the beach...." BLEH!!! am so sick of that and could throw up every time..... When I LIVED at the beach, in Monterey, we said we were goign to the beach.

I'd have to agree I couldn't find any fault in Renee Zellweger's English accent.

I actually think there are similarities in English + Southern accents.

Heck, 5 minutes in Lynne's company and I would be drawling like a native!!!!! :lol::lol:

I can't remember my linguisitic studies, OF COURSE (yeah, can't remember conversations I"ve had the same day so how could I?? :blink: ) but....as we know the southern US was settled mainly by WASPS....the accent is a fascinating amalgamation of British/Scottish and you can so easily hear it, just as you can hear so much Irish in New England. As people moved West - the melding of cultures made the accent more flat and indistinct. GFP - Steve- where are you?? I'm sure you know.....

oh dear....the dingos have a friend over, the little Westie from next door....Annie was displaying some inappropriate sexual behavior earlier today :o and I can hear them playing/fighting outside - - better check..... :lol:

Rikki Tikki Explorer
IN Central California, everyone says "going to the coast" (and could mean any beach in Central coast of CA) and for some reason it drives me crazy....probably because it's SO over-used in Match.com by Central Californians - "love going to the Coast....holding hands on the beach...." BLEH!!! am so sick of that and could throw up every time..... When I LIVED at the beach, in Monterey, we said we were goign to the beach.

:D:D:D

oh dear....the dingos have a friend over, the little Westie from next door....Annie was displaying some inappropriate sexual behavior earlier today :o and I can hear them playing/fighting outside - - better check..... :lol:

A westie Susan? A real westie??? That's the dog I want so much!!!!!

DingoGirl Enthusiast
A westie Susan? A real westie??? That's the dog I want so much!!!!!

Hi TAvi!! Yes, a little white West Highland Terrier......this little stinky menace (well - he's not been grooomed recently but he's not alwasy so stinky) drives me NUTS. has NO manners, no training, runs like the devil to try and get out.....knocks over plants.....but my dogs think he's such good, sporting fun.....um, tell me, is this normal....my Annie girl was, um, REALLY attracted to him and....grabbed him from behind.... :ph34r::lol: I have never seen her do this, ever, but apparently SHE really likes this Westie also!!

Tavi.....come and get the Westie.....he is a little devil and I"ll just tell the owner I don't know anything about it..... :lol: Either my dingos are really smart or this dog is just....so stupid.....

jaten Enthusiast
If you meet someone who grew up not so far from here -- maybe even 30-40 miles out -- you will hear ALL kinds of southern "hick" sayings!!! Fix'n is a standard. "I'm fix'n to make dinner" "I'm fix'n to whoop your tail" . . . also, if they're fairly southern, you wouldn't wake up "In the morning." You'd wake up "of a mornin'" So, if you put it together, you would say, "I was fixin' to try to get a hair appointment as soon as I got up of a mornin'"

So just exactly what's wrong with "fixin' to to do something"?

Except that around here, it's "fisin' to"....like prounouncing the entire "x" is too much effort so you just say the "ssss" part of the sound. "I'm fisin' to clean the kitchen."

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Another Southerner!!!!! So y'all are fisin' to do somethin? That's great! I told my husband that we were discussing accents, and that I really didn't think I had that much of one, that everyone ELSE sounded northern. The man was busting a gut laughing!

Hey Nikki -- I told my husband about the incident when I was a teenager and the English accent. I did it with the same accent. His eyes got a little more wide and he said, "You're GOOD at that . . . . " :lol::lol::lol: I thought it was pretty funny! Then I went on to say that you could pick up a southern drawl within 5 minutes after being around someone with a southern accent, and the discussion went on about southerners / Englanders and their ability to pick up dialects. I told him about the reference to Bridget Jones' Diary. He said, "Oh, yeah."

Don't know what your standard "goodbye" is in England, but ours is just usually, "see ya"!!!!!! :P

Talk to you soon, my friend!

Canadian Karen Community Regular
Another Southerner!!!!! So y'all are fisin' to do somethin? That's great! I told my husband that we were discussing accents, and that I really didn't think I had that much of one, that everyone ELSE sounded northern. The man was busting a gut laughing!

Hey Nikki -- I told my husband about the incident when I was a teenager and the English accent. I did it with the same accent. His eyes got a little more wide and he said, "You're GOOD at that . . . . " :lol::lol::lol: I thought it was pretty funny! Then I went on to say that you could pick up a southern drawl within 5 minutes after being around someone with a southern accent, and the discussion went on about southerners / Englanders and their ability to pick up dialects. I told him about the reference to Bridget Jones' Diary. He said, "Oh, yeah."

Don't know what your standard "goodbye" is in England, but ours is just usually, "see ya"!!!!!! :P

Hey Lynne,

If you want a really cool twist added to your accent, I'll drop you in Newfoundland for a week! After spending time with my relatives even at something as short as a wedding reception, I start picking up the "Newfie" accent!

Hugs.

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star

In movies New Jerseyians are shown as using the word "joisey" for Jersey and I don't know anyone here in NJ tht speaks that way. And I too would say " I want a large chocolate milkshake" if I were in McDonald's ....so people from Boston order a milkshake in a different way?

I've worked with people from NY who say "laww-ya" for lawyer and "bott-el" for bottle and "soder" for soda.

The idea that English/Scotch settled in south while Irish settled in New England, which makes the difference in accents is fascinating and I can see the melding of the midwest making the flat speech.

VydorScope Proficient
In movies New Jerseyians are shown as using the word "joisey" for Jersey and I don't know anyone here in NJ tht speaks that way. And I too would say " I want a large chocolate milkshake" if I were in McDonald's ....so people from Boston order a milkshake in a different way?

I've worked with people from NY who say "laww-ya" for lawyer and "bott-el" for bottle and "soder" for soda.

The idea that English/Scotch settled in south while Irish settled in New England, which makes the difference in accents is fascinating and I can see the melding of the midwest making the flat speech.

I agree I lived in NJ for 20ish years, never once heard anyone call it "joisey" , but the funny thing is whenyou want to order a "pie" in NJ, you dont mean pumpkin! :lol:

nikki-uk Enthusiast

So do I !!!!!!! :lol::lol:

Hey Lynne,

If you want a really cool twist added to your accent, I'll drop you in Newfoundland for a week! After spending time with my relatives even at something as short as a wedding reception, I start picking up the "Newfie" accent!

Now there's an accent I can't get my tongue round.It's sort of Irish/Americanish???

Unlike anything I've ever heard!!! :blink:

Check this out...

Funny thing is you put us all in a room together we'd probably be saying ''what-pardon-eh,can you talk slower?!!''

See Ya!!! :lol:

Nikki,

I howl every time that commercial comes on TV! My cousins (and I have 102 FIRST cousins!!!) all talk like that. I am quite used to the Newfie accent, but even I can't understand what some of them say!

Hugs.

Karen

VydorScope Proficient

LOL is that realy what newfie's talk like???

LOL is that realy what newfie's talk like???

Yep. :P

barbara3675 Rookie

You know what......people have different patterns to their lives and they change. I used to read much more stuff on this board than I do now, especially when I first went gluten-free. I come on and scan the topics, read what I want and don't get too bent out of shape over any of it anymore. Occasionally there is something I want to reply to, if I feel it would be interesting, otherwise I just read and go. I still am trying to find out what happened to the young man who used to post so frequently and was was past his years in intelligence, I think it was celiac3270. Anyone know?

mouse Enthusiast

celiac3270 is still a member and posts every now and then. He is involved with a Celiac teen group at Columbia (I think that is the one). He of course has a very high GPA and is involved in other teen activities. I think he is in charge of the newsletter for the Celiac teen group. In other words, he is extremely busy in such wonderful healthy, giving and intellectual activiites. He is such a wonderful young man and how proud his parents must be.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

celiac3270 IS A TEENAGER??? wow - that shocked me - definitely an old and wise soul!

jerseyangel Proficient
celiac3270 IS A TEENAGER??? wow - that shocked me - definitely an old and wise soul!

Back when I was new here, I was shocked when I found out he was 14! I couldn't believe it :D

nikki-uk Enthusiast
Back when I was new here, I was shocked when I found out he was 14! I couldn't believe it :D

Yes indeed,-Old head on young shoulders. :)

Yeah, he's really something else . . . . .

A Newfie, huh? I'd have to darken my hair! (well, I'd have to put dark over the bleached out part, and HOPE that it covered the gray!) I could be a Newfie . . . from what I understand, Karen, your family is a tad on the wild side? Hmmmmm.........

Gonna tell you now . . . if you guys got in a room with me, you would DEFINITELY not be telling me to talk slower!!!!! Ask Karen!!

mouse Enthusiast

No, but you would be asking her to talk louder LOL.

METTA!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D I didn't get to talk with you today . . . we were out all day (started early -- actually went to my nephew's flag football game -- not bad, huh?) and then shopped for Mark's birthday. Having some rumblings from the "fam" . . . . . all-inclusive, if you know what I mean. They're all a little shaken up. I have a feeling that my PT called my mother. I have had more offers for rides in the past 24 hours than I've had in the past 6 months. Wish that getting up early(ier?) had made a difference in my insomnia, but I have an appointment to get that taken care of.

You know what the funniest thing is about you saying that I need to talk louder? Prior to being diagnosed with ADHD and being put on Ritalin, I had only one volume -- EXTREMELY LOUD. I had no sense of voice modulation. I was working for a PT company at that time, and a doctor's office was across the hall. They could hear me all the way in the BACK of their office in their STORAGE ROOM!

My friend from Cuba that I told you about, Madeline -- she was a patient there when I first started taking the medication. She walked in and we walked back to a treatment room, and she said in her little cuban accent (although she's been in the states 31 years -- go figure!) "Leeeen, what is wrong? You're not bouncing when you walk?" I just said, "Oh, I didn't notice." Then she said, "Leeeeen, you're not laughing and joking like you usually do." I said , "Oh, well, I haven't gotten wound up yet, I guess." Then she said, "Leeeen, your voice -- it is so QUIET ---- ARE YOU SMOKING DOPE???????!!!!!!!!" Yeah, well that's a great way to keep a job! I said, "No Madeline, but I did find out some interesting information . . . " then went on to tell her. She said, "Well stop taking that Sh**. I want the old Leeen back." When people tell me to please speak up, it just makes me giggle. Beats the heck out of having them tell me to shut up most of my life!!!

covsooze Enthusiast

Hi Nikki :)

i've only just picked up on this thread. I too catch accents really easily. I grew up 'down south' so my accent ought to be 'Queen's English' but, since living in the midlands, my southern friends have said I've developed a brummie accent. Surely not!! And when posting here, I have to fight the urge to 'say' hey instead of hi!

Susie x

debmidge Rising Star

Vincent; from I understand it, the reason why you'd order "pie" for pizza in NJ is that word pizza in Italian (might) mean "pie" in English. Now this is the reasoning I got from my Italian side of the family.

nikki-uk Enthusiast
my accent ought to be 'Queen's English'

Oh my,take that plum out of your mouth immediatley!!! :lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...
celiac3270 Collaborator
celiac3270 is still a member and posts every now and then. He is involved with a Celiac teen group at Columbia (I think that is the one). He of course has a very high GPA and is involved in other teen activities. I think he is in charge of the newsletter for the Celiac teen group. In other words, he is extremely busy in such wonderful healthy, giving and intellectual activiites. He is such a wonderful young man and how proud his parents must be.

Thank you :D ... I've just been ridiculously busy-- I'll be back like I used to be over the summer; I try to read, but I don't have time to post. ;)

Archived