This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone From Maine?

RickC

RickC Newbie

Hi there. I found out I have Celiac about a year ago. Is there anyone out there from Maine?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eKatherine Rookie
Hi there. I found out I have Celiac about a year ago. Is there anyone out there from Maine?

I live in Southern Maine.

powderprincess Rookie

Hi, i am not from Maine, my hubby is. We travel there a lot for family things

Where in Maine are you?

Lisa Mentor

I believe that "Ocean Girl" is also from Maine. Gosh, I wish I was.

watssup1 Newbie

I am not from Maine but I am moving to Maine next June. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 4 years ago. The diet is hard at first but once you get used to it, you start to feel much better. The problem that I have is that I am hungry all of the time. Sometimes, depending on where I am when I get hungry, if I want something to eat I will have to eat something with Gluten in it. Only lately did I feel the serious effects of eating Gluten. I used to be able to eat dairy but not anymore. Lactose Intolerence is also common in Celiacs.

How have you been doing on the diet, being from Maine? My name is Chris.

eKatherine Rookie

I am self-diagnosed, based on arthritis and inflammation which went away when I happened to give up carbs for a few days. I've been gluten-free for 3 years now. I always bring meals with me when I'm expecting to be away from home working, although I generally don't have intestinal reactions to eating gluten. It would just make it painful to walk.

The diet has been pretty easy for me, since I've always done all of my own cooking. I don't know of any restaurant around here that has any clue about gluten-free food, and I don't eat out to speak of anyway.

oceangirl Collaborator
I am self-diagnosed, based on arthritis and inflammation which went away when I happened to give up carbs for a few days. I've been gluten-free for 3 years now. I always bring meals with me when I'm expecting to be away from home working, although I generally don't have intestinal reactions to eating gluten. It would just make it painful to walk.

The diet has been pretty easy for me, since I've always done all of my own cooking. I don't know of any restaurant around here that has any clue about gluten-free food, and I don't eat out to speak of anyway.

RickC,

Hi, and welcome to the Board. I'm from Southern Maine and diagnosed myself through positive bloodwork and then Enterolab in June. I'm still in the paranoid phase and only eat out at a friends' restaurant where they grow their own organic food and they know about gluten. (It's a great place called "Joshua"s" and it's on Route 1 in Wells.) There must be someone in Portland who runs a restaurant that has gluten-free items. Actually, I THINK I saw on here that "Katahdin" on High St. does? But I've never checked it out. What part of the Great State of Maine are you from?

It's nice to have you here!

lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tay Newbie

Hello:

I live in Baltimore but my family has a smal house there. I go to Kennebunkport about 1x per month except in winter. It is great to get some restaurant recs. as I always want to eat out while there but have had some problems with reactions. - Thank you! The natural foods store in Kennebunk stocks some great gluten-free foods, inc. Kinnikinnick food doughnuts - I love them.

• 5 months later...
loco-ladi Contributor

I am formerly from Maine, born and raised there, I have a cousin who also is a celiac who still lives in Franklin county. currently I live in Nebraska

Maeve Newbie
:rolleyes: Hi, I have lived in Maine for 30 yrs,, came here to play "Grizzly Adams" with husband (log cabin in the woods thing",. It's really hard having Celiac in ME because Bar Harbor Ale Micro Brew is like the best beer in the whole darn world. The Blueberry beer was a little bit of heaven, we would hike a small mountain with wild blueberries on it and actually smell the blueberries. Then go and have a blueberry beer (ice cold, on tap) from Lompoc's in Bar Harbor. Boy, those were the days. Blueberry wine doesn't come close. Oh well, I still have the mountains and the ocean.
Joan (Maine) Newbie

Maeve,

Joan (Maine) Newbie

Maeve,

I live near Bangor and work in Ellsworth. Once a month we have a Celiac Meeting in Bangor. It is very low key and there are lots helpful tips and information.

Sincerely,

Joan

miles2go Contributor

Hi Maeve and Joan,

I'm also in the Bangor area and attended one of those celiac support meetings. I think I'm more of an online kind-o-person, but could probably be convinced otherwise to meet y'all. :)

Maeve, have you tried any of the Winterport Winery's wines yet? They are really good and I used to be a beer drinker.

I'm gearing up to start my first batch of gluten-free beer.

We gotta make do!

Margaret

P.S. Hi to OceanGirl, too! and everybody else ~!

• 3 months later...
LynnO Newbie

Hi! Not sure if i am doing this right. But I am from Maine I am from the capitol area. I found out I had Celiac earlier this year. My grandmother suffered all her life with it, and my brother has it. Recently my Aunt tested positive.

• 2 weeks later...
Joan (Maine) Newbie

Hi Lynn,

I live north of you near Bangor would be happy to answer questions or share information.

Joan

Hi! Not sure if i am doing this right. But I am from Maine I am from the capitol area. I found out I had Celiac earlier this year. My grandmother suffered all her life with it, and my brother has it. Recently my Aunt tested positive.

• 2 weeks later...
LynnO Newbie

Hi Joan, I just went grocery shopping and I always find something new that I can eat! I just made a sandwich with some Hormel turkey, slice of cheese, annies mustard, and 2 rice cakes. MMM that was good, i have days were i really miss bread! I also have been craving hot dogs and not sure which ones were okay - i found Jenni O w/ scooby do on the package that were gluten free. I was so excited! I have been having a problem with tooth paste and read some posts about it, and didnt even realize the toothpaste i was using i could be bothering my mouth, so i bought some uncle tom's. I am wondering if i can contribute some of my bad complextion to my celiac. do you use or do you have a recommendations? i am like any one trying to keep the wrinkles at bay. but i do find my face breaks out real bad - some of that i can call hormones, but i wonder?? any advice? thanks!!! Lynn

Hi Lynn,

I live north of you near Bangor would be happy to answer questions or share information.

Joan

• 1 month later...
jmoody74 Newbie

We live near Portland, Maine. My son (10 years old) was diagnosed the beginning of this year. Found any good places to get gluten-free baked goods around Portland? His birthdays coming up and I am so scared about trying to bake a cake.

• 2 weeks later...
Kelly C. Rookie

Hi! I'm from Brewer and was diagnosed about a two years ago. I rarely go out to eat, but when I do, it's always Bugaboo Creek in Bangor because they have a gluten free menu. I discovered that Uno's has a gluten free menu from their website, but haven't tried going there yet. I was wondering if any of you have tried eating gluten-free in at the Bangor Uno's, and if so, what was your experiences? I've been weary about it, because I can imagine it may be easy to get some contaminated food there.

Kelly C. Rookie
We live near Portland, Maine. My son (10 years old) was diagnosed the beginning of this year. Found any good places to get gluten-free baked goods around Portland? His birthdays coming up and I am so scared about trying to bake a cake.

I don't know about Portland area, but I had a gluten free wedding cake made by Taylor Made Parties in Augusta. I provided them with the recipie because she had never made a gluten free wedding cake before, and it came out awesome. She said she kept the recipie for others who may want a gluten free cake in the future. She does cakes for all occassions.

Kelly C. Rookie

Does anyone know of any restaruants that are either familiar with celiac disease or have gluten free menus in the Bangor or Bar Harbor area? (other than Bugaboo Creek)

Kelly C. Rookie

Does anyone know of any restaruants that are either familiar with celiac disease or have gluten free menus in the Bangor or Bar Harbor area? (other than Bugaboo Creek)

• 3 months later...
Rai-Lee Newbie

I live in the Lewiston/Auburn area in Maine. I was diagnosed about 2 years ago while going to college in Canada, and now find myself back home, with few local gluten free contacts. I'd love to make some local celiac friends to hang out with over lunch somewhere and share experiences. I've had good luck eating at Pepper and Spice Thai restaurant in Lewiston, much of their menu uses rice noodles and is naturally gluten free. You just have to stay away from a few appetizers. Thai food is tasty!

Rai-Lee

• 4 months later...
ProdigiousGroove Newbie

If you're in the Biddeford area, Union House Cafe has some gluten free options - particularly if you call ahead. They specialize in lunch. They make a great macaroni and cheese and are experimenting with other foods, like brownies. The owners are extremely nice and eager to work with you. They also do catering. They are talking about putting some gluten free choices on the menu permanently. Plus - as a bonus, they have the best coffee I've ever tasted an free WiFi.

Another choice for catering is Cafe on the Corner in Biddeford. You can visit their deli-style cafe in Biddeford for sit down, or order food to go. The cafe itself is not gluten free - but the owner is, so she understands gluten-free needs. Also wonderful food.

In Portland, Flatbread now offers a gluten-free pizza cooked on a dedicated pan and prepared offsite in a gluten free environment - I can't vouch for cross-contamination at the restaurant, though, since I haven't tried it yet.

As far as bread & cakes & such, you can find pretty much anything you want between Hannaford's natural foods section & Whole Foods in Portland. Both have separate gluten free sections and you can get all different kinds of bread/pastry mixes, gluten-free oreos, other cookies, etc.

I have to say, when I went gluten-free 6 years ago, I missed bread too, but now with all of these great products coming out that are carried by every grocery store, it's really no big loss. I can pretty much get my fix of whatever. Restaurants are the final frontier, but even they are coming over.

• 2 months later...
oceangirl Collaborator

Hi! wow, this is an old thread, but, hello to all Mainers out there! I am still in Southern Maine and still do not go out to eat practically ever. But I love to hear of any Portland and south restaurants that truly get "gluten-free" for the very sensitive. I'd love to try going out again someday...

If any Mainers read this, would love to hear from you!

lisa

• 4 months later...
LEL Newbie
Hi! wow, this is an old thread, but, hello to all Mainers out there! I am still in Southern Maine and still do not go out to eat practically ever. But I love to hear of any Portland and south restaurants that truly get "gluten-free" for the very sensitive. I'd love to try going out again someday...

If any Mainers read this, would love to hear from you!

lisa

I've tried Fresh! in South Portland and they've been very accommodating. They're happy to modify almost anything on their menu to be gluten-free. Since they prepare everything there fresh (hence the name) there is a lot of variety. Their salads are fabulous and they can take any of their entrees that are usually served with pasta and serve it over spinach instead. It's nice and healthy that way.

Archived