This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Prilosec Otc

Jen H

Jen H Contributor

Hello,

I've been having heartburn each day and my doctor put me on prilosec. I noticed on the box that it should be taken for 14 days. I am still suffering from heart burn and would like to take something. I tried Protonix but the side effects are making me feel more sick than I was before. Does anyone take Prilosec everday and how long have you used it for? Are there any ill effects for taking it longer than 2 weeks?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Jen:

wrote you.

Lisa

Guest laydirain

i take nexium

kabowman Explorer

I take Nexium but when I get heartburn even with my meds, my doc said to take Priolosec in addition to the Nexium (that bothered my tummy so I actually use Zantac)--my last EDG showed a lot of damage but I ignored the symptoms for a few years.

If you are concerned, you could see a GI doc for an EGD to see if you should be taking this 24/7.

I guess what I am saying is, I think that is there as a precaution and if you are having to take it that much, you need to see a doc. If the doc says yes, I say go for it, you don't want it to get bad.

dlp252 Apprentice
Hello,

I've been having heartburn each day and my doctor put me on prilosec. I noticed on the box that it should be taken for 14 days. I am still suffering from heart burn and would like to take something. I tried Protonix but the side effects are making me feel more sick than I was before. Does anyone take Prilosec everday and how long have you used it for? Are there any ill effects for taking it longer than 2 weeks?

I was taking it everyday, but my doctor had to switch me to Zantac because the PrilosecOTC gave me stomach pains. The Zantac was much gentler. He was going going to have me take it everyday for more than 2 months.

key Contributor

My heatburn must not be "normal", because I took Prilosec several times and after 4 days to a week it seems that my stomach just quits working. My food will just feel like it isn't digesting and my stomach hurts. I don't know why. It has happened like 3 times. I did manage to take it for about 3 weeks one time.

My brother takes it all the time for heartburn and he says it doesn't bother him at all and it helps him.

I think it is a personal decision. Supposedly Nexium is newer and "better", but who knows.

Nothing helps the burning in my throat when I have been getting heartburn lately. I think it is from being gluttened. Finally yesterday and today it isn't there. I don't know why it comes and what causes it. I wish I knew.

Monica

Jen H Contributor

Thanks for writing back, guys. I've had an endoscopy recently and it came back negative. My esophagus is healthy, as is my stomach. I believe what I have is recurrent heartburn. I can't get in to see my GI doctor until November, so we've been playing phone tag and leaving messages for each other. I've tried taking over the counter antacids and prilosec otc (recommended by doctor) with little relief. I"m looking for the right prescription for me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

And, one other thing to consider...if you do go on them for any length of time, you may want to taper off slowly if you ever decide to go off again. I've heard (from no scientific source, just hearsay and from a couple of people here) that there can be a kind of rebound affect where the heartburn is actually worse immediately after stopping if you stop abruptly. I don't know if that is true or not, but I tapered off slowly and I didn't notice any rebound heartburn. For reference, my doctor wanted me on them to see if it would reduce inflammation enough to make the cells in my duodenum appear normal...they were appearing abnormal in a biopsy, but he was certain it was from inflammation, so I didn't go on them for heartburn although I was having a problem with it at the time.

Archived