This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gfp-what Is Going On?

Guest Robbin

elye Community Regular

There was LOTS of bad fashion stuff happening in the eighties, but I would have to vote the mullet as perhaps the worst legacy that we are still left with in certain pockets of the continent--Kentucky, Alberta...hey, gfp, what areas of your continent across the pond still boast mullet sightings? :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CarlaB Enthusiast
There was LOTS of bad fashion stuff happening in the eighties, but I would have to vote the mullet as perhaps the worst legacy that we are still left with in certain pockets of the continent--Kentucky, Alberta...hey, gfp, what areas of your continent across the pond still boast mullet sightings? :lol:

Don't forget rural southern Indiana ....

VydorScope Proficient

Well jeeze dont I feel loved! :lol:

elye Community Regular

Vincent...you are INDEED loved, as your mullet belongs in a class by itself. Hypermullet...mulletmania... :lol:

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

mullet-o-rama?

bluejeangirl Contributor

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast
Is it mandatory in Kentucky to have a mullet, just as it is to have a pick-up in the front yard?

RUNNING AND DUCKING NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wuv ya,

Karen

You do NOT have a pick-up in the front yard. You have a washing machine that doesn't work on the front porch, a CAR on cinder-blocks in the front yard. The pick-up is usually 23 feet tall, due to the extra-extra-large wheels that are on it. It is also VERY shiny. I mean, look at bass boats. We LOVE glitter!!!!!

You'd better run and duck!

Wuv you, too

Lynne

(Also, think about it . . . wasn't that guy who had the Achy-Breaky-Mistake-y from Kentucky???)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

Don't worry about it Vincent. It's already coming back. I've seen a few times in the last couple months "fashionable" men's hairstyles that are mullets, but they're trying to say it wasn't a mullet, but some other name for the same haircut. It's a mullet. Own it. Rock it. Work it.

Remember, this current fashion sensibility says that trucker hats, tiny bug-eyed chihuahuas dressed in Chanel, and huge sunglasses are tres chic.

BTW, will somebody please PM me as SOON as perms are back in style? I'm waiting....

:lol:

Wait, no, I'm serious. PM me.

Nancy

mullet-o-rama?

Mullet-Fest...? Mullet-palooza...?

Mullet Smackdown!

gfp Enthusiast

I never quite understood why "mullet"?

Nantzie Collaborator
I never quite understood why "mullet"?

Me neither. Is there a linguistic anthropologist in the house? Where the heck did that word come from? In high school we used to call it Rocker Hair. What was wrong with that phrase?

Okay, looked it up in American Heritage Dictionary -

mul·let (mlt) KEY

NOUN:

pl. mullet or mul·lets

1. Any of various stout-bodied, edible fishes of the family Mugilidae, found worldwide in tropical and temperate coastal waters and some freshwater streams. Also called gray mullet .

2. The red mullet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETYMOLOGY:

Middle English molet, from Medieval Latin mulettus, probably from Old French mulet, from mul, from Latin mullus, from Greek mullos

Okay here's a picture of a mullet (fish) Open Original Shared Link Maybe it's having a small head in comparison to the fins...

Here's another fun link with recipes -- Open Original Shared Link

I just don't get how you keep the hair from being stuck in your teeth...

Nancy

Canadian Karen Community Regular

LMAO! Hey Nancy, isn't it amazing the things we come up with at 5:00 a.m. because we can't sleep??????

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Ok,found this!!

The mullet became popular in the 1970s (in part due to the influence of English pop star David Bowie), but is known to have been worn long before then. Carol Brady can be seen to have a mullet in the "opening grid" of season four on the Brady Bunch. David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust hairstyle was considered glamorous among devotees of glam rock. Urban legends have it dating back to 19th Century fishermen, who wore their hair long in the back to keep warm — hence the term mullet. The Notes section of the Viking edition of Lydia Davis's translation of Swann's Way by Proust states "Jean Baptiste Prosper Bressant was a well-known actor who introduced a new hairstyle, which consisted of wearing the hair in a crew cut in front and longer in the back."

In the 1970s, the mullet was a short, square affair. The hairstyle became particularly popular in the late 70s and 80s among entertainers with receding hairlines such as Anthony Geary of "Luke and Laura" fame from the soap opera General Hospital and the singer Michael Bolton.

In the 1980s, the mullet became big and bouffant, and bemulleted men often indulged in other 1980s hair crazes such as spiked hair and blonde highlights. In the early 1990s, country singer Billy Ray Cyrus's "Achy Breaky" mullet fostered both imitation and ridicule.

The Beastie Boys 1994 song "Mullet Head" made fun of the hairstyle, and a year later band member Mike D discussed the mullet at length in issue 2 of the band's Grand Royal magazine:

Open Original Shared Link

:lol::lol::lol:

Canadian Karen Community Regular
Nicknames

There are many nicknames for the mullet. Some are:

The "7"

The "10-90"

The Achy Breaky Big Mistakey

The Ape Drape

The Tennessee Waterfall

The Beaver Paddle

The Business in the Front, and Party in the Back

The Camaro Crash Helmet

The El Camino Headrest

The Kentucky Waterfall

The Canadian Passport

The Missouri Compromise

The "Snake" Plissken

OMG! Howling at "The Kentucky Waterfall" and "The Canadian Passport"!!!!!!! LMAO!

gfp Enthusiast

OK but most importantly is mullet gluten-free or not.....

VydorScope Proficient

From what I understand it also dates back to the days men wore suits of armor because it provided a layer of padding on the bakc of the neck where the helmet and neck hole meet, with out getting in the eyes. .

A candian friend of mine always called it Hockey hair. :lol:

elye Community Regular

Mygosh, I'm in the Nation's capital..."The Canadian Passport"...this is hilarious. If the mullet is hockey hair, then Canada is Mulletland, and the "beaver paddle" is us all over, too. Heck, we've got beavers all over the place up here, apparently. Perhaps we should bring this to the attention of our newly-elected prime minister, and it could become part of our national slogan. "Canada...the land of waterfalls, over rocks and heads..." Hmmmm...business in the front, party in the back...sounds like Parliament Hill! :lol::lol::lol:

CarlaB Enthusiast
OK but most importantly is mullet gluten-free or not.....

Depends on the hair care products used. But, you don't have a mullet ... it has to be cut short over the ears ... yours is just brushed back that way.

nikki-uk Enthusiast
..business in the front, party in the back.

LMAO!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Brilliant description!! :lol:

CarlaB Enthusiast
LMAO!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Brilliant description!! :lol:

I love how those of you who speak English English, as opposed to American (both US and Canadian) English, use the word brilliant! An Irish priest I used to work with used it regularly. Around here about the only time anyone uses that word is when they're describing someone very smart.

TriticusToxicum Explorer

In the interest of mullet science i have just Googled "Mullet Picture" to find a good example of an award winning mullet. Not in my wildest dreams could i imagine some of the stuff i stumbled across.

Someone has put a lot of time into this site!

Open Original Shared Link

Check out the classifications page! LMAO!

Everything you ever wanted to know about mullets, but were afraid to ask!

TriticusToxicum Explorer

After further reviewin the site above I have to say GFP is DQ'd his hair is not in the same league as what i have just seen. I'll give you rocker hair, but negative on the mullet.

elye Community Regular
After further reviewin the site above I have to say GFP is DQ'd his hair is not in the same league as what i have just seen. I'll give you rocker hair, but negative on the mullet.

Richard, I second that. Now, Vincent, on the other hand...he could have a FEATURE PAGE under the "mullitia" heading of that site. He could challenge for the crown, I think. :lol:

VydorScope Proficient

Some one needs to grow through all those types and tell me which one I am :lol:

CarlaB Enthusiast
Some one needs to grow through all those types and tell me which one I am :lol:

You have the "Astro-Mullet (aren't you an astronomer?).

My father-in-law brags that he cuts his own hair so he doesn't have to get it cut as often (don't know why, the man makes six figures ...), but he only cuts the front. Since he drives a Mercedes, we call his the "Mercedes Mullet."

elye Community Regular

Okay, so here's a question--can't seem to find any evidence of female mullets. Does the classic mullet profile only involve males? I'm having some uneasy memory flashes of me sporting something that came very close to this "style" in the mid-eighties. The lifestyle and...philosophy...(trying to remain politically correct here)...that tends to surround this hairstyle makes me suspect that women aren't part of this club. After all, "the wife knows her place"... ;)

Archived