This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hello

Guest Wheatless In Woolley

I am a new member & I just wanted to say hello and meet some other people out there with Celiac. I am from Skagit County area. I have had Celiac all my life and was diagnosed about 6 years ago. It was quite a challenge at first but it gets easier as you learn more about it Every once in a while I get a touch of wheat or gluten and suffer the consequences. I do feel better now than I did most of my life, & being diagnosed with everything else there was. Yes it is hard to go out for dinner, potlucks, grab a quick bite, and explain to everyone about your allergy, when they say come on and try it. It is getting easier everyday and as people are more aware of it the easier our life is. The labeling on many items, listing the allergens. I love it. Making our life easier is much better when we work together and spread the word. If we think about it we eat much healthier now. I was wondering if anyone heard about the Beerfest they were trying to get together in Seattle. That would be a fun event and meet some people. If anyone knows if it is a go or not, please let me know.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Welcome to the forum! I am a former northwesterner (from Portland and Vancouver areas). It's nice to hear that your life as a celiac has gotten easier, comforting for us noobies :) I miss the area, there's always something fun going on in the big cities! I was in town last month for the Providince Bridge Pedal (don't know if you heard about that way up where you are). Hope you have fun at the beerfest! Minus the beer of course :P

Welcome to the forum! I am a former northwesterner (from Portland and Vancouver areas). It's nice to hear that your life as a celiac has gotten easier, comforting for us noobies :) I miss the area, there's always something fun going on in the big cities! I was in town last month for the Providince Bridge Pedal (don't know if you heard about that way up where you are). Hope you have fun at the beerfest! Minus the beer of course :P

Hello there, I live in Skagit County area. I don't go South to the city of Seattle unless I am going to a Mariner game or training of some kind. Many things to do. I heard some great places to eat for the gluten-free diet. I will have to try them sometime. I haven't been to the Providince Bridge Pedal & never heard of it either. I thought the beerfest would be fun to try like a wine tasting tour. I never was a big beer drinker but it sure is missed on a hot summer day when you can't have one with a pizza. I am not even sure if they were able to schedule it. I know they are having them all over the country in different places mainly in the Wisconsin and Illinois area. I know being new to Celiac can be so frustrating and you feel like you can't eat anything and in fear to try it. But, as you get more educated and know what you can have and no how to read a label in a flash. I use to spend hours at the store reading every label, marking everything in my cabinets with a marker that was not for me with a black X. I also have my own cabinet with my food. My boys eat more and more gluten free but still eat what they want. I am not sure if they have it no syptoms but I would like to have them tested. They are 13 & 15 now. I believe my mother has it she has all the symptoms but will not get tested and thinks she has colitis, she is pretty stubborn. I finally subcribed to the list of safe foods on Celiac.com and that helped so much. The magazine Living Without is a great resource and a support group is a very helpful in learning, sharing and getting involved. I would like to start a group up in my county. That is my future goal. I hope to make people aware in my home town communities.

Guest ~jules~
Hello there, I live in Skagit County area. I don't go South to the city of Seattle unless I am going to a Mariner game or training of some kind. Many things to do. I heard some great places to eat for the gluten-free diet. I will have to try them sometime. I haven't been to the Providince Bridge Pedal & never heard of it either. I thought the beerfest would be fun to try like a wine tasting tour. I never was a big beer drinker but it sure is missed on a hot summer day when you can't have one with a pizza. I am not even sure if they were able to schedule it. I know they are having them all over the country in different places mainly in the Wisconsin and Illinois area. I know being new to Celiac can be so frustrating and you feel like you can't eat anything and in fear to try it. But, as you get more educated and know what you can have and no how to read a label in a flash. I use to spend hours at the store reading every label, marking everything in my cabinets with a marker that was not for me with a black X. I also have my own cabinet with my food. My boys eat more and more gluten free but still eat what they want. I am not sure if they have it no syptoms but I would like to have them tested. They are 13 & 15 now. I believe my mother has it she has all the symptoms but will not get tested and thinks she has colitis, she is pretty stubborn. I finally subcribed to the list of safe foods on Celiac.com and that helped so much. The magazine Living Without is a great resource and a support group is a very helpful in learning, sharing and getting involved. I would like to start a group up in my county. That is my future goal. I hope to make people aware in my home town communities.

Welcome to the board! I am from Salem, a tad south from you, but as you know the cap. of Oregon. I have lived in Federal Way, and Walla Walla, (how the heck does anyone end up in walla walla, long story lets just move on...) I touched base here because my mother is also diabetic and symptomatic, and won't get tested, because she doesn't have the big "D" Once again I will say as I have before in my latter posts, why doesn't anyone remember you complaining of anything but the big "D" Ugh!!! Theres so much more. I also have two boys although still quite young, I invision the elder years and my celiac with them. I've already heard " OMG, is this gluten free! (my boys are 6 and 9) all the way to creating a fun shopping experience with mom to find all the "gluten free" labels on the shelves. They were very "boldy" announcing every single gluten free label all through the store! I also want to educate my community, as I know, there is only one support group in this whole town.

lonewolf Collaborator

Welcome! I'm from a bit south of you, in Federal Way, but nice to see another Washintonian on the board.

Generic Apprentice

I'm in Everett and we have 3 celiacs including myself in this house. I'm not sure if you know, but there is a bakery that creates gluten free cakes etc. (the flying apron) and a completely gluten free restauraunt (the da vinci cafe) both in Seattle. They are worth checking out!

There is also a gluten free store in Vancouver Wa now. (Lingonberries market) I know that is a bit of a drive, but it is so worth it! I go about every 2 months.

Guest ~jules~
I'm in Everett and we have 3 celiacs including myself in this house. I'm not sure if you know, but there is a bakery that creates gluten free cakes etc. (the flying apron) and a completely gluten free restauraunt (the da vinci cafe) both in Seattle. They are worth checking out!

There is also a gluten free store in Vancouver Wa now. (Lingonberries market) I know that is a bit of a drive, but it is so worth it! I go about every 2 months.

Thats not so far for me, only about an hour tops. Do they have a website, what do they offer, is it like a grocery store?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Generic Apprentice

It is like a small health food store but everything is gluten free accept a few beers, etc. It is wonderful! This is there website www.lingonberriesmarket.com

burdee Enthusiast

I live in north Seattle (Greenlake area) and lead a celiac support group which meets on 2nd Tuesdays of each month in north Bothell. We have some Skagit and Island County members in our group. However there's also an active Bellingham GIG partner group. Check Open Original Shared Link (GIG's website) for a support group near you.

BURDEE

Guest ~jules~
It is like a small health food store but everything is gluten free accept a few beers, etc. It is wonderful! This is there website www.lingonberriesmarket.com

Thanks! I'll check them out, all my family lives up there so I may be poppin in!!!

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Hey! I moved from Woolley to Bellingham about three years ago, after two years in Woolley (before that Whidbey, Capital Hill/Seattle, Monroe, Port Townsend). Anyway, we JUST sold our house in Sedro in Rolling Ridge - about half way to Sedro from Burlington between 20 and Cook Road.

Anyway, nice to have you on the board. Your co-op is cheaper than our coop, for produce anyway...but I think Bham caters a bit more to gluten-free. You can also try Terra Organica in Bham for gluten-free stuff. Of course, Fred Meyers actually does a good job.

We also have a group; I've never gone.

Anyway, welcome. by the way, aren't you tempted to call Sedro "Bug", like the founders wanted to? I always thought that was a nice name. BUG.

-Sherri

• 1 month later...
Nova-Gryphon Newbie

Hi! I am in your area. I live in Arlington, but work in Burlington. I am new to the board. We go to Mount Lake Terrace about once a month to Manna Mills to get gluten-free products. I also heard there was a gluten-free resturant in Bellingham, but I am not sure on that. Over behind the old Michaels they said. I used to live in Bellingham, have only lived in Arlington about a year.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm in Seattle, well, east-side. There's a Seattle support group meeting this coming Monday!

Generic Apprentice
We go to Mount Lake Terrace about once a month to Manna Mills to get gluten-free products.

What and where is this Manna mills. I mean what do they carry and where is the location in MLT?

Never heard of this before. I'm excitted now, new local goods with a variety, I hope!

Thanks,

-Laurie

Nova-Gryphon Newbie

Open Original Shared Link

Here is a link with directions to Manna Mills. It is an organic/natural foods store, but they have a great selection of gluten-free products. I highly recommend the Kinnikinik (sp?) frozen pizza crusts. YUM! Those are my favorite. If you get off on the MLT exit from I-5 and head west, turn right at the second light, and it is about a block down on the right. Just a tiny little store and easy to miss, but worth dropping buy. There is also a company near Bellevue that does gluten-free bread and cake mixes. Mona's it is called. I have never been there, but I have tried some of her mixes and the ones I tried were great. Here is that website.

Open Original Shared Link

Also, I know Manna Mills is having a Gluten Free fair November 18th, with lots of gluten-free samples of products to try. I think they do it every 6 months? Lots of information and products. If you go, try the Glutino (sp?) crackers, they taste so much like a Ritz and are gluten-free, they are great. The Wow cookies are yummy too.

Nova

Generic Apprentice

Thank you for the info!

-Laurie

ibesurfn Newbie

Hi

I'm a newbie here but have had celiacs 12 years now.

I live in Vancouver Wa.

BTW Lingonberries ROCK'S

I just discovered it recently.

I'm very impressed with the "Laurels" brand of mixes (especially pancake).

These are made in Sherwood Oregon and I think this gal knows what she is doing.

Curious about the gluten-free beer.......anyone tasted it yet?

Mountain Mama Rookie

I am in wa too. I love DaVincies, they have the best bundt cake ever!

Generic Apprentice

I just got back from Manna Mills and they are fantastic! Today was the gluten free samples day. It had the biggest selection of gluten free food I have seen, other than Lingonberries. They had almost everything I needed (or wanted LOL).

They had the glutino's (or is it glutano's) pretzels, the kinnicinick doughnuts, graham cracker crumbs for cheese cake, etc. It was awesome! The kids thought I was going to start jumping up and down I was so excited!

The Davinci cafe was there also giving out samples. I wasn't to impressed with them. I had gone to her restaurant when she was still Kailie's cafe, The food was great. But now she has a limited selection of what she bakes that day. It seems to be more of a mocha/espresso store, than anything. I had bought some cinnamon rolls and they were horribly dry and stale tasteing. The selection of what she did have was interesting. Nothing I would eat. But she did seem to be pretty busy, so I guess she is doing what is best for her business.

-Laurie

AND THANK YOU AGAIN, A MILLION TIMES!!!! :D:D

Nova-Gryphon Newbie

I did not get to go. :( I had to work on a 'festival of trees' tree. I was sad. I am glad you went though, I think that store is excellent. I hear they have gluten-free beer now there too. I don't drink beer, but thought I would share the news incase any of you do.

Archived