This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kraft Response

brizzo

brizzo Contributor

Thank you for visiting Open Original Shared Link.

We understand how important it is for people who have been medically diagnosed with gluten sensitivity to have accurate information about foods to help plan their meals and diets. Therefore, it has been a long standing policy for all Kraft and Nabisco products to list ingredients that contain gluten on the ingredient statement. These items will be listed using commonly known terms such as Wheat, Barley, Oats or Rye. For other ingredients that contain gluten, the grain source will be declared in parenthesis after the ingredient name. For example, if the ingredient "natural flavor" contains a gluten source, the label would read: natural flavor (contains rye). Other ingredients that contain gluten are: Triticale, Spelt, Kamut, Mir or Farina (also known as Far or Farro).

For Kraft-branded products that contain vinegar, information from our vinegar suppliers assures us that the vinegar we use in our products is gluten free. All vinegar is distilled and through the distilling process protein gluten is removed.

If you would like additional information or to view our Gluten Fact Sheet please visit our website, www.kraftfoods.com and type gluten in the "Search Kraft" box.

I hope this assists you in making food choices that are appropriate for your personal needs. If you have additional questions about your personal dietary needs, please consult your doctor or a registered dietician.

Thank you for contacting us and please add our site to your favorites and visit us again soon!

Kim McMiller

Assoc Director, GCR Consumer Services

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

It's companies like Kraft that make our lives easier!

Guest ~jules~

yup kraft rocks.....many others too... :P

Michi8 Contributor

Except that they not long ago had a very helpful webpage listing all of their gluten and dairy free products. That webpage has since been removed. When I enquired about it, they sent me exactly the same email response. When pressed further, they still would not answer my question, preferring to send the same cycle of canned responses. I'm frustrated by their avoidance of questions, and further frustrated that such a good resource has been removed.

Michelle

psawyer Proficient

The list was removed because, like any list, it may not be the most current, and may not match the product you actually have if the formulation has changed. The label on the package will, however, always match the contents, and will always clearly disclose gluten sources. This is better than a list can ever be.

grantschoep Contributor

My guess was they removed it because of the whole McDonalds thing(fries !=? gluten free). Companies got scared.

Michi8 Contributor
The list was removed because, like any list, it may not be the most current, and may not match the product you actually have if the formulation has changed. The label on the package will, however, always match the contents, and will always clearly disclose gluten sources. This is better than a list can ever be.

Oh, I understand that and I agree. But why can they not say that in their email response? The way they send form letters back sounds as if they are not truly listening to customer concerns.

Additionally, how do I know that their ingredients lists are treated the same in Canada vs. the US? We have different regulations about listing ingredients (we appear to be behind the US in terms of timing, although it looks like Health Canada will eventually be requiring gluten sources to be listed as opposed to just "wheat" along with the other top allergens.)

Finally, the online gluten listing was still available on Kraft.ca when I first joined this list at the beginning of August...one week it was there, and suddenly it was removed. I would like to hear the reason for that from Kraft, rather than getting the run around.

Michelle

My guess was they removed it because of the whole McDonalds thing(fries !=? gluten free). Companies got scared.

I'm not clear on when the McDonald's thing happened (or what happened?) The Kraft gluten & dairy free list disappeared this August.

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ebrbetty Rising Star

their shredded cheese is the only one that is lactose free :D

Michi8 Contributor
their shredded cheese is the only one that is lactose free :D

How can their cheese be lactose free?

Michelle

Felidae Enthusiast
How can their cheese be lactose free?

Michelle

A lot of hard cheeses have low to zero lactose in them. From what I recall their Minute Rice is lactose-free. Probably a lot of their dressings are lactose-free too.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

"For Kraft-branded products that contain vinegar, information from our vinegar suppliers assures us that the vinegar we use in our products is gluten free. All vinegar is distilled and through the distilling process protein gluten is removed."

For me this statement is troubling and I use products that I can verify the distilled vinager is from corn. NOT ALL celiacs react to distilled grains but I am one who does. I am fortunate to live in a state that has a Wegmans market, they use distilled corn in any item that they declare as gluten free, if it contains a grain vinager from a gluten grain they don't put the gluten-free label on it. Not everyone reacts but for me this scares me away from any Kraft product that does contain vinager.

ebrbetty Rising Star

it says right on the back of the shredded cheese package "0 lactose per serving" I made chicken tacos the other night and the cheese did not bother me at all..never does, anything else I have to take 2 or 3 lactose pills

lovegrov Collaborator

Kraft hasn't had a U.S. gluten-free list in many, many years.

"Additionally, how do I know that their ingredients lists are treated the same in Canada vs. the US?"

If Kraft CA is telling you they will clearly list any gluten, it sounds like they're treating it the same way as in the U.S. In the U.S. they're required to list just wheat, but they'll list any gluten.

I am so glad not to carry or memorize a Kraft list. Just pick up the product and read the ingredients. I long for the day when I never have to print out or carry a list or special menu.

richard

Michi8 Contributor
it says right on the back of the shredded cheese package "0 lactose per serving" I made chicken tacos the other night and the cheese did not bother me at all..never does, anything else I have to take 2 or 3 lactose pills

That's interesting. I'm looking at my Kraft shredded cheeses (Greek Feta, and Mozza-Cheddar packages) right now, and there is no such distinction on the package. I'm guessing that it is, again, the difference in labelling laws between Canada & US. I know that I tolerate hard cheeses well though, so I've never thought to actually look for lactose info on the packages anyhow.

I'm curious as to how the Kraft products differ between the countries too. I do know that there are some Kraft products produced and sold for the Canadian market that aren't available in the US and vice versa. Are there ingredients differences in products that are sold in both markets?

Michelle

ebrbetty Rising Star

its very small on the bottom [back]

Michi8 Contributor
its very small on the bottom [back]

I took a look again...read every word on the back of the package. No mention about being lactose free on the Canadian package.

Michelle

Archived