15 replies to this topic

#1 brizzo

brizzo

Advanced Community Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:03 PM

Hey, does anyone know if Dove beautifully clean shampoo is gluten-free?????

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:58 PM

I do use Dove shampoo. If you search on this site you can get a better defined anwser, with confirmation.

The Gluten Free Product List is sparse for 2006, but it was gluten-free for 2004. Companies often change their ingred. to "improve" their products Let me see if they have a website as I have some at home.

www.dove.com..........or 1-800-761-3683

There ya go. If you get a reponse, please post so that others can know.

Hope this was helpful.

Lisa
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 jmengert

jmengert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:09 PM

Dove is a company that clearly labels in all their products, so they will clearly list wheat, oats, barley, or rye. I use their shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, and frizz creme every day without problems. It smells great, too--I really like their stuff!
*Julie*
Gluten free since December 2004
Soy free since June 2005
Dairy free since July 2006

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:11 PM

Dove will clearly list gluten on the container.

A lot of their hair products are gluten-free--I use their Anti-Frizz Creme. Just check the bottle.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:27 PM

I use a lot of Dove products, because I find them most gentle (up until now, I hadn't needed to worry about gluten content.) None of the Dove products I use have any ingredients lists on them...shampoo, antiperspirant, moisturizers and facial cleansing products do not have complete ingredients lists. Is the requirement to list ingredients on cosmetics different in Canada than in the US?

Michelle

#6 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:23 PM

I use a lot of Dove products, because I find them most gentle (up until now, I hadn't needed to worry about gluten content.) None of the Dove products I use have any ingredients lists on them...shampoo, antiperspirant, moisturizers and facial cleansing products do not have complete ingredients lists. Is the requirement to list ingredients on cosmetics different in Canada than in the US?

Michelle

I have been wondering the same thing. By using Dove shampoo and conditioner I am going on faith here, that the info I am getting from this site is accurate. Because the ingredients aren't listed on Dove products here. But since I really reacted to the products I was using before (who were all natural, and clearly listed wheat germ oil), and have been fine with Dove, I believe it is gluten-free (and free of salicylates, too).
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:12 PM

I have used Dove products for over a year and have had great luck. So, a year ago when I checked the products were clearly labeled, if it had gluten it would list it. I have not checked recently.

Hez

#8 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:53 AM

I have never had problems with Dove and I have problems with others though it may be a different product in Europe (or not)
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#9 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:44 PM

Dove won't hide anything and I use their products all the time
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#10 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:18 PM

Just last week I spoke to a Dove representative. They will clearly state any of the 8 main allergens; like others have said, they will not hide gluten, which is great!

However, for those with multiple issues (particularly corn)---they were not particularly helpful. They said that because it is proprietary, they do not disclose if there are other allergens (like corn). The only way to know is to have a doctor's note written and sent, and only then will they let consumers know if there are other allergens. Just wanted to share this if others are doing a search about multiple intolerances/personal care products.

#11 wacky~jackie

wacky~jackie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:52 AM

I purchased Dove beautifully clean shampoo and conditioner because they seem to be gluten free. However, whenever I use them my arms and legs itch like crazy. Is there something else in them that may be causing my problem? Can anyone suggest another shampoo & conditioner that's gluten-free?
Jackie

hypothyroid 1991
back surgery for herniated disk 1997
gallbladder removed 2004
knee & back pain, depression and headaches for too many years to count
Negative labwork for IGG & IGA 8/3/06
Decided not to have anymore tests. Started gluten-free on 8/7/06.

#12 sharikay

sharikay

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:56 PM

I purchased Dove beautifully clean shampoo and conditioner because they seem to be gluten free. However, whenever I use them my arms and legs itch like crazy. Is there something else in them that may be causing my problem? Can anyone suggest another shampoo & conditioner that's gluten-free?

Jackie, I use Pantene hair products not knowing if they are gluten-free or not and I don't have any problems with them. Good luck in your search. ;)

#13 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:14 PM

You could be sensitive to any number of ingredients in the shampoo and/or conditioner. I'd call the manufacturer and see if you can get a replacement product or reimbursement since you are reacting to their product.

Michelle

#14 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:56 PM

www.gfsoap.com is free of many allergens---very simple.

#15 Sullimcg

Sullimcg

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:57 PM

Just last week I spoke to a Dove representative. They will clearly state any of the 8 main allergens; like others have said, they will not hide gluten, which is great!

However, for those with multiple issues (particularly corn)---they were not particularly helpful. They said that because it is proprietary, they do not disclose if there are other allergens (like corn). The only way to know is to have a doctor's note written and sent, and only then will they let consumers know if there are other allergens. Just wanted to share this if others are doing a search about multiple intolerances/personal care products.

The only problem with this is that Gluten is NOT one of the 8 main allergens, wheat is & there is a big difference between wheat free & gluten free. The FDA should have made companies list gluten as well. I am currently looking for a new shampoo & conditioner & was brought here after the Dove site really wasn't helpful to me. The slightest gluten ingredient in a hair product causes my face to break out, a severe headache & sometimes hives. I'm not willing to take a chance on "the 8 main allergens". If a product is gluten free; it should be marked as such under the ingredients.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: