This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pre-cooked Chickens

mythreesuns

mythreesuns Contributor

You know the ones I'm talking about, where they cook a whole little chicken for you and sell it in the plastic try with a cover.

I had some last night at my IL's and now I'm wondering if it's ok. The only thing it said on the package was "Seasoned Pre-cooked Chicken." I think it was from Sam's.

Did I do a boo-boo?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
You know the ones I'm talking about, where they cook a whole little chicken for you and sell it in the plastic try with a cover.

I had some last night at my IL's and now I'm wondering if it's ok. The only thing it said on the package was "Seasoned Pre-cooked Chicken." I think it was from Sam's.

Did I do a boo-boo?

Only one way to find out... short of quizzing them and you just did it ....

Even if you ask them its not guaranteed ... so I can't class it as a boo-boo so much as a learning experience!

momandgirls Enthusiast

I don't have a Sam's so I don't about that particular chicken. Around me, the stores either carry Boston Market brand which is gluten free but does contain milk (we're lactose free, too, so it doesn't work for us) and Perdue brand. When the chicken gets to the store from Perdue it's gluten free but, at least at my store, they have one oven and it's not cleaned between products so I don't buy it because it's possible that there's residue from something containing gluten on the rods that they put through the chickens to cook them and it might rub off. Does that make sense? I don't buy them anymore but I definitely used to and I miss that timesaver...

Come to think of it, I've seen Tyson precooked chickens in the refrigerated section of the store. I wonder if those are gluten free? I'll have to check that out...

StrongerToday Enthusiast

Shhhh... my guilty little secret is that I live on these! I shop at Busch's or Hillers and pick up at least one a week.

jerseyangel Proficient

I know that at the Sam's near me, the chickens have wheat--it's one of the first ingredients listed on the label.

momandgirls Enthusiast

Just got an email back from Tyson (if I knew how to post their response here I would but I'm just not that good with the computer). All their cooked roasted chickens are gluten and dairy free. In my store, they're in the refrigerated section in a plastic bowl type thing and vaccuum packed.

Jestgar Rising Star

I know the Costco chickens are gluten free, but I've gotten a little bit CC'd a couple times, I think because at my Costco the bakery is right next to the deli and sometimes some flour makes it through the door way. I still eat the chickens, but I limit the amount of skin I eat, which is probably better for me anyway.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Sam's club contain Wheat. Costco has said there's in my area are gluten-free.... I usually just go the Boston Market . I don't know why I feel better about there claim because they too have wheat products in their kitchen.Giant Eagle in my area also contain wheat.........

Why can't the world just go gluten-free, wheat isn't good for anyone anymore!!!!Wishful thinking I guess...

mamaw

lorka150 Collaborator

the ones in our grocer have gluten.

mythreesuns Contributor

Somehow, I missed all of your responses until today! So much for the "View New Posts" feature....

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'm glad now that I didn't have it for lunch the next day, as was my plan.

Well, on the plus side, I did have a reaction to it, so that sort of confirms my sensitivity to it, right?

So much for my stupid GI telling me "You do NOT have celiac. I tested you twice for it. [he was referring to the blood tests and the endoscopy biopsy] It's impossible for you to have it."

gfp Enthusiast

Well just got one they promise is only herbs and salt....

No kitchen at the moment ......

Honestly, its a crapshoot..... I know they mean that but I have no idea what else they touched or if they had other things in the rotiserrie (ack can't think in English now) that might have gluten so ...........

I'll report back tomorrow... if Im quiet or someone starts a thread about "gfp: not so mellow anymore" then you know why :o

jerseyangel Proficient
I'll report back tomorrow... if Im quiet or someone starts a thread about "gfp: not so mellow anymore" then you know why :o

Let's just hope it's not "gfp: in the bathroom again" :ph34r:

gfp Enthusiast
Let's just hope it's not "gfp: in the bathroom again" :ph34r:

Let's not I'm likely to trip up over the boxes stacked in the hallway outside the bathroom....full of pans and kitchen stuff BUT ITS FINISHED ... looks much better than it did before the fire as well.

Archived