Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Bowel Movement Urgency

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone have the symptom of bowel movement urgency when ingesting gluten?

...sorry to get so personal -- just trying to figure out what's causing this.

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

I get this without even getting gluten. Usually the first BM of the day, more so than the others. My doctor once explained that the "need to go" comes from a feeling of "stretching" in receptors in the area, and some are set to trigger that feeling on less stretching than others. So it can happen even without gluten.

YES. I rarely had diarrhea, sometimes had constipation, but ALWAYS had that feeling of "I have to go". :( Sometimes I really did, sometimes it was just gas, sometimes it was just mucous. I realized the cramping, bloating and gas gave me that sensation of 'having to go', even after my rectum was empty. Very frustrating and confusing. :o AFTER avoiding gluten for 3 months and then dairy for 3 weeks, I finally learned what a normal 'need to eliminate' sensation feels like. So the bad news is everytime I have a gluten slip, I get that frustrating 'urgency'. The good news is when I've been gluten-free/CF for a while I experience less frequent, but more appropriate signals. ;)

BURDEE

I have this whether I've had a gluten accident or not. I was told after I had my gallbladder out (5 years ago) thatthis was a common side affect, so I just figured that was causing it...