3 replies to this topic

#1 bonnieo

bonnieo

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:03 AM

Does anyone have the symptom of bowel movement urgency when ingesting gluten?

...sorry to get so personal -- just trying to figure out what's causing this.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:33 AM

I get this without even getting gluten. Usually the first BM of the day, more so than the others. My doctor once explained that the "need to go" comes from a feeling of "stretching" in receptors in the area, and some are set to trigger that feeling on less stretching than others. So it can happen even without gluten.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:34 AM

YES. I rarely had diarrhea, sometimes had constipation, but ALWAYS had that feeling of "I have to go". :( Sometimes I really did, sometimes it was just gas, sometimes it was just mucous. I realized the cramping, bloating and gas gave me that sensation of 'having to go', even after my rectum was empty. Very frustrating and confusing. :o AFTER avoiding gluten for 3 months and then dairy for 3 weeks, I finally learned what a normal 'need to eliminate' sensation feels like. So the bad news is everytime I have a gluten slip, I get that frustrating 'urgency'. The good news is when I've been gluten-free/CF for a while I experience less frequent, but more appropriate signals. ;)
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#4 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:18 PM

I have this whether I've had a gluten accident or not. I was told after I had my gallbladder out (5 years ago) thatthis was a common side affect, so I just figured that was causing it...
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: