15 replies to this topic

#1 pmccall4495

pmccall4495

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:04 AM

My husband's favorite chili recipe calls for a can of condensed tomato soup. What is the closest gluten-free alternative?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

Winter Forest - watercolor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:10 AM

You could use tomato paste and dilute it with water to the consistency you need. You might want to add some onion and/or garlic powder which I think is in the condensed soups.
Valda
Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance
other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
Living a healthier, happier life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

#3 gfp

gfp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:17 AM

My husband's favorite chili recipe calls for a can of condensed tomato soup. What is the closest gluten-free alternative?

1 lb. home canned or tin canned whole tomatoes
2 cups milk (optional)
2 Tbls butter or margarine (dairy up to you)
1/8 tsp gluten-free baking soda
salt and pepper to taste

You can add a pinch or two of celery salt ... stick in a blender and ....

Oh... and it's also a nice soup

You can make an authetic Campbells by obtaining some GM tomatoes, soy and corn syrup

Campbells received 13 permits from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to field test genetically engineered tomatoes

but personally I prefer not :D

A really cheap trick I use is I have a little camera on my palm pilot and take pics of the labels on stuff (you can just note em down) and then you can recreate the same thing at home....
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#4 GFBetsy

GFBetsy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:30 AM

gfp -

You once posted the ingredients list from a spaghetti sauce can (or something similar). My question is: Do the ingredients lists in Europe always list the percentage composition? Labels in the US don't, which is why I ask. Just curious :D !

#5 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:51 AM

gfp -

You once posted the ingredients list from a spaghetti sauce can (or something similar). My question is: Do the ingredients lists in Europe always list the percentage composition? Labels in the US don't, which is why I ask. Just curious :D !

No but you can often work them out....
For instance tomato soup has X g. of fat and the fat is pretty much only going to come from butter/margerine or oil...
The protein g you can assign to the milk....
Just use 3kCal/g for protein and carbohydrates and 9 for fats...

1/8 tsp gluten-free baking soda ??? just a guess...

if you are in any doubt you can just google a recipe and then this gives you a great guide... to amounts and then experiment with undisclosed herbs or spices...

so you can get the basic ingredients from the can and then google and when you find a similar recipee...(using the same basic ingredients) you can use those as the proportions...

edit

Sorry forgot to mention... I just posted the basic neapolitan and bolgnese sauce recipes... since this is what Ragu are copying anyway.... but lets face it we have to read every darned tin anyway....and even when we do we still face risks so I always read the label with an eye to "hmm.. can i make this myself"..
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#6 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:56 AM

Amy's also make a tomato soup, but it is not condensed. I recently tried the Pacific Foods? tomato soup and really liked it. Again it is not condensed.

Hez

#7 GFBetsy

GFBetsy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:38 AM

. . .

if you are in any doubt you can just google a recipe and then this gives you a great guide... to amounts and then experiment with undisclosed herbs or spices...

so you can get the basic ingredients from the can and then google and when you find a similar recipee...(using the same basic ingredients) you can use those as the proportions...

edit

Sorry forgot to mention... I just posted the basic neapolitan and bolgnese sauce recipes... since this is what Ragu are copying anyway.... but lets face it we have to read every darned tin anyway....and even when we do we still face risks so I always read the label with an eye to "hmm.. can i make this myself"..

Yeah . . . having grown up in a home where my mother cooked all the time, it often shocks me how intimidated some people are by the idea of cooking. I always say that Campbell's has done one of the best con jobs ever by convincing people that "real soup" actually comes from a can! I mostly stopped cooking while pregnant with my twins (it's one of them that has celiac, so gluten-free wasn't an issue at the time) and pretty soon ALL fast food tasted exactly the same - tacos tasted like hamburgers, etc. I got to a point where I just ate because I needed to . . . none of it tasted good. After they were born and I started cooking again, I was AMAZED at how GOOD everything tasted - and how distinct the flavors were. I suppose it was the lack of MSG. But I've decided that the next time I get pregnant I'm going to pre-make and freeze an awful lot of food so that we can eat real food the whole time . . . because I don't think I coud eat fast food like that again!

#8 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:06 AM

I like Imagine Foods tomato soup in the aseptic package. It isn't condensed, but it's too strong to eat without diluting, so it might work.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#9 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:01 AM

Heinz UK sold in the US has one, red label, black lettering. I like Amy's the beast so far or make my own..

#10 homemaker

homemaker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

I have a recipe for condensed tomato soup...this recipe makes about 2 cans...it is thick just like campbells condensed tomato soup.
I use it in recipes alot....
Condensed Tomato Soup
2 cups Water
4T Corn Starch
3T Butter
2 small cans tomato Paste gluten-free
Season with salt and pepper
In a small saucepan, whisk water and cornstarch till well blended
Heat to a boil till thickened...stirring with a whisk constantly
Stir in Butter and Tomato Paste and blend with whisk well
It should come out nice and thick to use in recipes that call for condensed tomato soup
I make it up the day before if I know that I am making something that requires Condensed Tomato Soup
Enjoy!
Constipation, Gas, Bloating, Abdominal Pain, Ataxia, Brain Fog, Joint Pain Headaches
Bloodwork Negative
Went gluten free 10/02/09
Immediate and Positive intestinal improvement with improvement in headache frequency
Enterolab results 11/23/09 (after one month gluten free)
Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA 10 units
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 9 units
Fecal Fat 1267 units
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1: 0201
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2: 0202
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,2 (Subtype 2,2)

#11 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:13 PM

Heinz tomato soup tastes just like Campbell's but is made with rice flour instead of wheat flour. I can't remember if it's condensed, but it's good!
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#12 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:02 AM

Although I grew up on canned chili, for at least 15 years now I've only made homemade chili. I use tomato sauce (I always thought it was basically thinner tomato puree).

Sometimes to give it a little more "texture", I'll use canned diced tomatos, and use my immersion blender to blend them just this side of tomato sauce.

best regards, lm

BTW, this thread is 3 years old.

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#13 Chattyaholic

Chattyaholic

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:36 AM

BTW, this thread is 3 years old.

Even though it is 3 years old I'm glad to have found it, I got some good information from it. And copied the tomato soup recipe.

#14 RonJr

RonJr

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:59 PM

I have a recipe for condensed tomato soup...this recipe makes about 2 cans...it is thick just like campbells condensed tomato soup.
I use it in recipes alot....
Condensed Tomato Soup
2 cups Water
4T Corn Starch
3T Butter
2 small cans tomato Paste gluten-free
Season with salt and pepper
In a small saucepan, whisk water and cornstarch till well blended
Heat to a boil till thickened...stirring with a whisk constantly
Stir in Butter and Tomato Paste and blend with whisk well
It should come out nice and thick to use in recipes that call for condensed tomato soup
I make it up the day before if I know that I am making something that requires Condensed Tomato Soup
Enjoy!

This is great, thanks! I just wanted to point out that the stuff in the red and white can contains more than 2 tablespoons (30g) of sugar (HFCS)! So, if you want the recipe to taste "like it used to", that's probably the missing ingredient.

#15 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

I just use an 8-oz can of tomato sauce and about a quarter cup of cream, sour cream, or half-and-half. Depending on the recipe, I throw in some garlic powder or dill or parsley or whatever. If it needs thickening, I add some cornstarch or gluten-free flour somewhere else in the recipe--but it usually doesn't seem to need thickening, which is surprising, because it does start out thinner than condensed tomato soup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: