43 replies to this topic

#16 Michi8

Michi8

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:00 PM

Floridanative, that is an interesting fact, thank you. Could he have been referring to himself?

I wouldn't be surprised. He has been known to make jokes about himself and his health before...like when he had his bypass surgery.

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 rinne

rinne

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:10 PM

I don't watch the show much but I have noticed him making fun of himself before so maybe he is just coming out of the gluten closet. :lol:
A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

#18 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:14 PM

I have to agree, any publicity is good publicity. Ok, well MOST publicity is good publicity :P

Letterman being gluten free, now THAT would be funny. He would always be complaining about the prices and the dry grittyness of prepackaged gluten-free foods :P

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#19 bklynceliac

bklynceliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:16 PM

it's a running gag. the other night he said he was allergic to pectin. just another letterman oddity.
Diagnosed through Enterolab (9.27.06)
Antigliadin IgA 164 (Normal Range <10 Units)
Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 75 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fat Score 874 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 73 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)

#20 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:17 PM

Letterman being gluten free, now THAT would be funny. He would always be complaining about the prices and the dry grittyness of prepackaged gluten-free foods :P

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Yes! Could you imagine :lol:

Or Jerry Seinfield--I'd love to hear his take on gluten-free foods! :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#21 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 03:02 PM

what's a newfie?

Someone from Newfoundland/Labrador in Eastern Canada. According to the jokes, they are dumber than a roomful of Blondes.

No offense to anyone blonde or from Newfoundland. (Pronounced like NEWfinnLand)
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#22 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 03:38 PM

Someone from Newfoundland/Labrador in Eastern Canada. According to the jokes, they are dumber than a roomful of Blondes.

No offense to anyone blonde or from Newfoundland. (Pronounced like NEWfinnLand)

Yea, yea, yea, pick on the blondes ... :P
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#23 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:10 PM

I've been watching Dave for as long as he's been on....just this year falling asleep too early most of the time. :angry: I don't think he's gluten-intolerant, but, he rarely discusses anything in his personal life....he has many writers who write most of the jokes but he does throw in his own goofy stuff. I think he's totally being silly in this case. It doesn't offend me, but, I happen to think he's one of the funniest and brightest humans alive.

Newfoundland...it sounds SO charming and remote.....what was that quirky novel I read that took place on that island, with a movie starring....Kevin Pollack maybe? think they found a dead body somewhere? other than that, the details are hazy....lots of fishing... :)
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

#24 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:20 PM

it's a running gag. the other night he said he was allergic to pectin. just another letterman oddity.

It made me want to run and gag!

I guess the problem I have with it is lately (last year or so) Letterman seems to have gotten a lot more random and not as on it with the humor as he used to be. My husband and I have a hard time watching him anymore but every so often I enjoy something on there so I still turn it on at times.

Odd is fine. I just felt mocked by it - maybe I'm overly-sensitive because I'm in the process of starting two new jobs and I keep having to explain the food thing to people and with Letterman's tone when he said it, it was just sort of rude.

Sorry I've lost my sense of humor these days...

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#25 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:25 PM

Stephanie I don't think you've lost your sense of humour. Letterman CAN be rude! he's a complete nut. But, I actually have seen Leno, who I thought was milder, harass and embarass people in a way that Letterman hasn't done in years and years (I think his quintuple bypass and birth of his son have mellowed him quite a bit). I missed the pectin joke....that waitress comes to his desk a lot and he says random stuff.

And, it is really tedious having to explain the gluten situation to people all the time - so I could see how you'd be sensitive to it.

why do *I* still think Dave is funny? :blink: maybe I'm stupid-er now....ha ha ha
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

#26 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:39 PM

:) I doubt that Susan!

Maybe it's just me. I seemed to get glutened all summer, then my work situation radically changed and I'm currently working two part time jobs, and for reasons probably due to stress, have lost my appetite. So I keep not eating when I need to and it's not quite making me cranky but just making me tired! And less funny.

I mean, I just worked this fundraiser (local United Way) and they had a chocolate fountain! I don't mean one of those, buy it at Target/K-Mart made-in-China kind of fountains you may use a couple of times and then give to Goodwill - I'm talking about a four foot tall dark chocolate founatin - and tables of things to dip. Of course the things to dip were all on sticks and included: Oreos, rice crispy treats, palmier cookies, mini brownies, fruit, etc etc etc. So no chocolate fountain for me. For some silly reason I had been holding out hope that people didn't actually dip food into it - they got cups or something (you can tell I've not been around a chocolate fountain before, can't you!)

Yeah, that was a major bummer. And it didn't help that when the waitress on Letterman brought out the pizza bread I was thinking - mmmmm, I would actually eat that if.... and Dave took the words right out of my mouth.

Sigh.

Steph
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#27 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:59 PM

Sigh indeed. OMG - I would not even have thought to avoid the chocolate fountain - - - yes I AM getting stupid-er....not kidding.....wouldn't have thought of the crumb contamination! my mom and I bought one today at Costco (which will end up at Goodwill :lol: ) for some friends....I thought happily that I could use it at their house....but that United Way party...pure, chocolate fountain torture for you, I'm afraid :(

Steph you should be eating more! That will make you cranky. But it is such a pain, ain't it?

At least you're out in public....I have become rather reclusive in recent weeks and avoid food situations entirely, just turn down invitations, period. :( very sad.

and then, can't even stay awake for my nightly dose of Dave to cheer me.....or make me cranky, as it were... ;)
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

#28 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:17 PM

I've been watching Dave for as long as he's been on....just this year falling asleep too early most of the time. :angry: I don't think he's gluten-intolerant, but, he rarely discusses anything in his personal life....he has many writers who write most of the jokes but he does throw in his own goofy stuff. I think he's totally being silly in this case. It doesn't offend me, but, I happen to think he's one of the funniest and brightest humans alive.

Newfoundland...it sounds SO charming and remote.....what was that quirky novel I read that took place on that island, with a movie starring....Kevin Pollack maybe? think they found a dead body somewhere? other than that, the details are hazy....lots of fishing... :)

OMG! Susan, is it the same movie I saw (can't remember the name) but I can remember them moving the family house over the frozen lake by pulling it by a huge rope (apparently, this was done quite often way back when). Also, the woman at the end of the story had her brother's ashes when he died, but since her brother abused her in childhood, she dumped the urn in the toilet and then sat down and had a good "dump" on him!

OMG! I GOT IT!!!!

"The Shipping News" with Kevin Spacey, Julianne Moore and Judy Densch (sp?).
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#29 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:56 PM

OMG! Susan, is it the same movie I saw (can't remember the name) but I can remember them moving the family house over the frozen lake by pulling it by a huge rope (apparently, this was done quite often way back when). Also, the woman at the end of the story had her brother's ashes when he died, but since her brother abused her in childhood, she dumped the urn in the toilet and then sat down and had a good "dump" on him!

OMG! I GOT IT!!!!

"The Shipping News" with Kevin Spacey, Julianne Moore and Judy Densch (sp?).

YES, that's it! OMG I don't remember them moving the house AT ALL....I do remember the ashes in the toilet and the dump....who could forget that? :huh: Kevin Spacey, that's right, and he was courting Juliann Moore's character? very quirky...didn't see the movie....hardly remember the book..but that is how my brain is for gawd's sake.....have lost chunks of it, I swear.... :ph34r:
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

#30 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:01 PM

This (post) reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld, where they want to buy this really 'awesome' wheelchair and their selling point is: "makes you always want to be handicapped'.

My mom (who has MS, uses a cane, and will soon be in one, no doubt) thinks this is funny. My aunt with MS - hilarious. People can't believe they think it's funny. I think that people are just overly sensitive.
Gluten-free, Vegan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: