43 replies to this topic

#31 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:20 PM

OMG! Susan, is it the same movie I saw (can't remember the name) but I can remember them moving the family house over the frozen lake by pulling it by a huge rope (apparently, this was done quite often way back when). Also, the woman at the end of the story had her brother's ashes when he died, but since her brother abused her in childhood, she dumped the urn in the toilet and then sat down and had a good "dump" on him!

OMG! I GOT IT!!!!

"The Shipping News" with Kevin Spacey, Julianne Moore and Judy Densch (sp?).

Karen, I laughed so hard (and loud) when I read about dumping the ashes into the toilet and having a 'dump' on him, I was afraid I'd wake up my family!

My mother-in-law is a newfie, and boy, she has NO sense of humor at all. If somebody tells a newfie joke, she just says, "That is definitely NOT funny." And it makes me laugh even harder when she says that (just can't help myself), and she looks at me with this withering look, which makes me laugh even harder. :rolleyes:
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:37 AM

Oh Ursula, PULEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE tell me that Ken is not a Newfie! If he is, no wonder he's no longer in Newfoundland, they would have kicked his sorry butt onto the wharf and into the harbour for the way he is treating you!

Hugs.
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#33 debmidge

debmidge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:14 AM

Someone from Newfoundland/Labrador in Eastern Canada. According to the jokes, they are dumber than a roomful of Blondes.

No offense to anyone blonde or from Newfoundland. (Pronounced like NEWfinnLand)

Finally relief!! A group that I as a blonde can pick on!!!
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#34 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:55 AM

Finally relief!! A group that I as a blonde can pick on!!!

No problem. Us Newfies have thick skins (to go along with our thick skulls!) LOL! :lol:

Hugs.
Karen
Karen

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#35 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:19 AM

Someone from Newfoundland/Labrador in Eastern Canada. According to the jokes, they are dumber than a roomful of Blondes.

No offense to anyone blonde or from Newfoundland. (Pronounced like NEWfinnLand)

No no.....

1) Newfy: nm (noofii)
One working with or for the national park service who after pulling you over for going 91 in a 90 zone proceeds to say something unintilligible until you switch to French)

2) Newfy: A language created from the most unintilligible parts of in Irish mixed with akadian french

3) Newfy A large black and tan dog that barks in a strange accent and likes bathing in glacier water

apologies ..... :ph34r:
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#36 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:45 AM

excellent....the Newfie humour (we never hear anything about Newfies in California - virtually never so you are all educating me) :)

Lorka - I tend to agree with you - people are too sensitive but everyone's threshhold is different. Important to laugh at ourselves, though. Seinfeld - the meanest show ever - I just quit watching re-runs a couple of years ago, after I'd seen them all about five times.

Ursula - glad you had such a good laugh and that MIL - throw HER into the harbour also. :)
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

#37 Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:53 AM

Relatively new here but one concern that I've seen several times has to do with a fear of celiac being mistaken for just another fad diet. There is a book with a title something like "the blood type diet" that assigns food based on the blood type. For Type O, wheat is the big thing to avoid. I've only skimmed the book but the explanation of where the various types evolved is roughly consistent with the concept of celiac being more prevelent in certain geographic areas.

I'm not advocating the book, just wanted to point out that there was at least one data point out there to make people think gluten-free is a fad diet.

#38 Lauren M

Lauren M

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:07 AM

Lorka - I tend to agree with you - people are too sensitive but everyone's threshhold is different. Important to laugh at ourselves, though.

I think this is true - and I think lorka's example illustrates my point - WE can make fun of ourselves, but others cannot. Kind of like family. I can make fun of my family, but I'll give ya hell if you make fun of my family!!! :lol:

- Lauren

#39 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:08 AM

Lauren, your family is the WORST! :P (just kidding, obviously!.... just making fun).

About gluten-free being a fad-diet, if you're so concerned, use the term celiac disease to prevent assumptions.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#40 eKatherine

eKatherine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:17 AM

Relatively new here but one concern that I've seen several times has to do with a fear of celiac being mistaken for just another fad diet. There is a book with a title something like "the blood type diet" that assigns food based on the blood type. For Type O, wheat is the big thing to avoid. I've only skimmed the book but the explanation of where the various types evolved is roughly consistent with the concept of celiac being more prevelent in certain geographic areas.

I'm not advocating the book, just wanted to point out that there was at least one data point out there to make people think gluten-free is a fad diet.

The celiac diet is not a fad. It's the blood type diet that's the fad diet. Everywhere you go in the world there are mixed blood types, and nowhere have people divided themselves up by blood type to eat differently.

There is basically no evidence to support the theory - it's just kind of a test tube experiment that the book wants you to design your life around.

People do often get better when put on one of these diets, but that is probably because all four of the diets are healthier than the diet most Americans eat. They also would probably get better when assigned to the wrong diet, and this is the only way to test such an extraordinary claim.
Nothing

#41 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:00 AM

I have to confess, I too thought it was a "fad" diet when I heard of it over 15 years ago. I thought it was some kick that health food people went on or body builders did, so something for some obsure reason that had nothing to do with a disease. Boy was I wrong....
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#42 David Bach

David Bach

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:33 AM

I have to confess, I too thought it was a "fad" diet when I heard of it over 15 years ago. I thought it was some kick that health food people went on or body builders did, so something for some obsure reason that had nothing to do with a disease. Boy was I wrong....

This seems so strange to me, cause here in Germany noone ever made me feel like he thought I was just on a show-off diet to distinguish myself from other people. This is what "Fad diet" would mean, right? I've been having to explain my diet to people for a long time now and everyone was really cool about it, so it kind of makes me angry when I hear that not everyone shares these good experiences.

I mean it's hard enough as it is, right y'all?

By the way, I'm all new here, 1st post, so hello to all of you.

Diagnosed with celiac disease at age 1, that's 32 years ago, wheee!
Well, some days are better than others, right?

#43 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:52 AM

Welcome David! You'll love it here!

Karen
Karen

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

Unknown

#44 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:53 AM

Hi David--

Glad to have you here :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"