This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Boulder, Estes Park, Co Restaurants Needed

ArtC

ArtC Newbie

I am going to be on Vacation next week in Estes Park, Boulder, Denver, Colorado. Can anyone recommend some restaurants that serve Gluten Free food? We are going to try and find Deby's Gluten free cafe in Denver, but most of our time will be spent in Estes Park. Thanks for your help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hez Enthusiast

In Estes Par there is an Italian place next to the river called Mama Rosa's (or something like that). I was able to eat a plain chicken and vegies there. They say they can substitute shredded zucini for pasta. However, upon further questioning I found out they boil the zuccini in the same water as the pasta. For the most part I thought they had a good handle on cc and gluten. My meal was somewhat plan but it was safe!

There is also an Italian place in Denver called Abrusici's (sp?) that has a gluten-free menu that is incredible! There are the normal chains outside of Boudler (they may also be in Boulder, just not sure) like PF Changs and Outback.

I find Deby's to be enjoyable because there is no possible cc.

Enjoy your trip!

Hez

LaurieAnn13 Newbie

Although I have not been there personally, I have heard about a gluten-free chinese restaurant in Nederland, which is right in that area. Also, there is an ice cream place on Pearl Street (in Boulder) that has gluten-free ice cream. Have not been there either (and don't know the names either, sorry!!!!), but I had a friend who lived up there and highly recommended both. I'll see if I can dig up the names for you sometime today or tomorrow.

Laurie

steveindenver Contributor

There is a PF Changs in Broomfield, maybe about 10-15 minutes from Boulder. I ate at Abrusci's on Sunday night - it was a great menu selection. I'd avoid the gluten free cheese bread as it was fair. But if you do get it, tell them to make hot and bubbling. It was room temp and felt as if it had been cooked earlier that day. If you do get pasta, tell them to not overcook. I got it as a side, and it was good, but definitely overcooked. The chicken marsala I had was very tasty.

Deby's is a bit tough to find, as it's in an industrial park area. It's near the Comcast building. You should definitely call them before you go to get clear directions.

In Denver, there is a place called Pisco's, which is a bit of a nicer place but I love it. They make a pork chop that is super yummy and can make the sauce gluten-free. They also have great fries and tell me they have a dedicated fryer.

annacsmom Apprentice

My daughter goes to UC in Boulder and was diagnosed 3 weeks before starting school - we live out of state. She has found PF Changs in Broomfield, Outback and Carrabbas in Louisville, and Noodles and Company in Boulder so far. Boulder also has a good Whole Foods Market and Louisville has a new Wild Oats Market. Life on campus is incredibly challenging for her. Hope this helps.

jnclelland Contributor

Don't know about Estes Park, but Boulder is a great place for gluten-free. Some places that I've found:

- Orchid Pavilion (Chinese) will cook with wheat-free soy sauce on request.

- Gemini Kitchen (Thai) has a gluten-free menu.

- Haven't been there yet, but I've heard that Chez Thuy (Vietnamese) can accommdate gluten-free.

- Sunflower (assorted organic, quite good) can accommodate all kinds of special diets, including gluten-free.

In general, it seems like more people have heard of the gluten-free diet here than lots of places, so there are probably lots of places that can accommodate you one way or the other. Have a great vacation!

Jeanne

While Noodles & Co. does mainly sell noodle dishes, they do make a gluten free caesar salad (no croutons!) and get the sauteed beef tips on top. It is great. I've confirmed with their corporate that dish is gluten free (just be sure they hold the croutons, which they sometimes forget and have to start over).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast

This is straight from the CSA Denver Chapter, from their Dining Out list for Denver/Boulder:

Restaurants - Denver Area

Abrusci's 3244 Youngfield St, Wheat Ridge 303-232-2424

. The Best Damn Italian Food ... Period Gluten-Free Menu

Beau Jo's Colorado Style Pizza Six Locations from Ft. Collins to Idaho Springs

. Committed to providing menu options for special diets

Guilt Free Guide [PDF] (includes Gluten Free Menu)

California Pizza Kitchen

. Ask for custom made salad, with all the veggies you want,

oil & vinegar on the side

. They will grill unmarinated chicken on clean grill

Chart House

. Will grill a plain unmarinated steak on a clean grill

. Baked potatoes

. Most salad bar items, oil & vinegars on the side

Cuba Libre 12684 W Indora Pl. Littleton (303) 904-3707

. Cuban Fare

Deby's Bakery and Cafe 2369 S Trenton Way, Ste M, Denver 303-283-4060

. Deby's Gluten Free, Inc. Cafe Menu

Hilltop Cafe - Golden

. Dinner salad w/o croutons, balsamic vinaigrette

. Bring your own bread for their (vinaigrette) dipping sauce

. New York strip steak, unmarinated, garlic mashed potatoes

Jax Fish House 1539 17th Street, Denver, 303-292-5767

Gluten-Free Menu

LoLa 1469 S. Pearl Street, Denver, 720-570-8686

Gluten-Free Menu

Luke's Steak Place

. Salad is made with Good Seasons dressing, ask for no croutons

. Steak, kabobs, & pork chops aren't marinated~ they usually add

Lawry's seasoned salt, they will prepare w/o if you want

Macaroni Grill

. Ask about unmarinated steak

. A waitress at 92nd & Wads also has CS,

very helpful if she's available

. Marinara is OK if bring own cooked gluten-free noodles

. Bring own gluten-free roll, try dipping oil

. Ensalata Gargana w/tomatoes, onions, & feta cheese is great

. Regular salad, no croutons, balsamic vinaigrette - specify

ingredients they'll make it up

Maggiano's Little Italy, 500 16th Street, Ste 150, Denver, 303-260-7707

. New South Location: 7401 S Clinton, Englewood, 303-858-1405

. They stock rice noodles

. "best gluten-free place in town" - chapter member

Masalaa - Fine Indian Vegetarian Cuisine, 3140 S Parker Rd, Aurora, 303-755-6272

. First restaurant participating in the gluten-free Restaurant Awareness Program

. Over 20 gluten-free menu items

. First restaurant to obtain the State's Smart Meal Seal

Pei Wei

. Asian style diner created by P.F. Chang's China Bistro: Gluten-Free Menu

P.F. Chang's China Bistro

. Address, telephone numbers, and directions for: Colorado Restaurants

. Exceptional Chinese cuisine, service, wine, and dining experience: Gluten-Free Menu

Piatti's - Cherry Creek (very accommodating)

. Will prepare custom made risotto � Ask about unmarinated chicken

. Balsamic dressing & dipping sauce are OK

. Bring your own gluten-free roll

. Creme brulee

Roy's in Cherry Creek Mall

. Risotto, salad w/o croutons

Tony Roma's Restaurant

. Ribs, Chicken

. Cole Slaw

. Baked Beans & BBQ sauce

. Orange Cooler/Minute Maid O J, Sprite, and

Rose's Grenadine is wonderful

Vesta Dipping Grill 1822 Blake St. Denver, 303-296-1970

. Special gluten-free Menu

Wholly Tomato 955 Lincoln St. Denver, 303-860-0041

. Over 30 items can be made gluten-free. They have gluten-free bread, gluten-free tortilla for wraps or burritos, rice noodles, gluten-free desserts, and soups, and best of all gluten-free cookies. Sauces, salad dressings and meat and vegetable preps are gluten-free.

Restaurants - Boulder Area

14th Street Grill, Boulder

Bloom at Flatirons Crossing:

. Some soups are OK

. Best dressings: balsamic & redwine vinegars on the side

. Double cut porkchop w/garlic mashed potatoes

. Chicken & bowtie pasta (order w/o the pasta, bring your

own cooked gluten-free pasta)

. Creme Brulee

Fan's at Niwot

. Chinese Restaurant in the Cottonwood Park Shopping Ctr

. Familiar with the gluten-free meals

. Rice Noodles, no MSG, also deliver 303-652-6249

Laudisio's, Boulder (Boulder Polenta)

Orchid Pavilion, Boulder

Outback Steak House, Louisville (see Web for Special Menu)

Tandoori Grill, Boulder (do not eat foods that are fried)

Via Toscana, Louisville

Zolo Grill, Boulder (ask for special menu)

Jax Fish House 928 Pearl Street, Boulder, 303-444-1811

Gluten-Free Menu

P.F. Chang's Gluten Free Menu Flatirons Mall

Rhumba Cafe Caribbean 950 Pearl Street, Boulder, 303-442-7771

Gluten-Free Menu

jukie Rookie

Okay, this thread is making me homesick :( Unfortunately all of my dining experience was pre-celiac, but the restaurants are (were) all great...both food *and* service. Fortunately, Boulder is an *extremely* health conscious community and that usually means more savvy staff. Also, you can't spit without hitting a Whole Foods Market, Wild Oats, or other health food store or co-op, so finding good eats shouldn't be a problem.

The only other restaurant I can think of is Red Robin...yeah, yeah, it's a gourmet burger chain, but their Carnitas Fajitas (sans tortilla), Crispy Chicken Salad (with grilled chicken), and Cobb Salad (without fried corn strips) can all be made gluten-free. But watch out for their seasoning...it's NOT safe!

Have a great trip, ArtC...let us know how it goes!

lexsprs Newbie

Annacsmom, I also attend CU, and I am celiac. I live just outside Boulder with my entire family (8 people, all celiac). I appreciate how hard it is, I am so glad I don't live on campus! But if your daughter wants any advice, just let me know!

clbevilacqua Explorer

Hi-I live in Boulder, too. Along with the other restaurants mentioned is one down on Pearl Street Mall named Trilogy. It is owned by identical triplet sisters-of whom 1 is a diagnosed celiac. Since one of her sisters is the head chef, they are quite versed in dealing with gluten free and in fact they have changed much of their menu to be gluten-free. And they have incredible macroons and chocolate mousse for dessert! If you go and have ANY questions or concerns, ask for Jen (she is the sister with celiac) or if she isn't there, waitress Meeka will handle everything great!

FYI watch out at Noodles & CO they do have rice noodles, but cook them in the same water as the regular pasta.

Since you seem to be going North of Boulder-there is an Outback Steakhouse in Longmont also. And Boulder and Longmont both have a Red Robin which have lettuce-wrap burgers and dedicated fryers for their french fries (not all Red Robins do).

Niwot/Gunbarrel has a Chinese restaurant called Fan's that does gluten-free-including carrying a gluten-free soy sauce AND they deliver.

Chez Thuy has excellent food and can do gluten free; but language can occasionally be a barrier there.

annacsmom Apprentice

To lexsprs:

Thank you so much for replying. My daughter is finding it somewhat challenging, but does go shopping once a week at Whole Foods. I'm sure she would benefit from some kind of support. It's very difficult not being able to cook her own food - I wish I could cook her a good home cooked meal, but we live in Arizona. Unfortunately, she ate at Chipotle's on Pearl St., and had her first real glutening episode since going on the diet. While their food is considered gluten free for the most part, it seems it was contaminated. Anyway, if you have any other restaurants or places to eat in the area, please let me know. Thanks

grantschoep Contributor

Tokyo Joes, slogan is "fast food japense" is pretty good. Their Chicken Curry is gluten-free. They also have a gluten-free soy sauce you can get, though its tastes much like LaChoy.

I had sent them an email awhile back and they said the following, keep in mind this is about a year ago. I need to send another question seeing if they ever got more...

"The sauces currently that have NO Gluten are our Curry Sauce and our Nikko dressing for Salads. Coming soon is a Gluten-Free version of our Teriyaki Sauce and Miso Dressing, which are our most popular choices. Plus we have Gluten Free Tamari behind the counter, which mixed with the Chili Sauce on the table is awesome.

So, hang in there. Help is on the way !!!"

Website is. A number of locations around

www.tokyojoes.com

I talked to some people that worked there and they said the meat was safe, as none of the sauces and things are cooked on the grill for meat. The rice is totally separate. I'm assuming the worker was telling the truth as they were gluten intolerant...

I talked to some people that worked there and they said the meat was safe, as none of the sauces and things are cooked on the grill for meat. The rice is totally separate. I'm assuming the worker was telling the truth as they were gluten intolerant...

I'd stay away from the beef, but that's just me. Their corporate office told me they do marinate their beef. And the safest bet is just their plain grilled chicken. I eat there often, as it's quick, healthy. Brown rice bowl, white chicken, steamed broccoli and no sauce. I bring my own teriyaki and it's all good!

diamondheart Newbie

Hi, I'm from Boulder too. I didn't realize there were so many Boulderites on this forum!

In addition to the ones already mentioned, there are a few other good restaurants on the Pearl Street Mall.

Aji Restaurant: They have a gluten-free, a dairy-free, and a nut-free menu! Great Cuban food.

The Sunflower (one block east of Aji's) and The Kitchen: Both of these are organic food type restaurants, and they have tamari instead of regular soy sauce. They don't look at you like you have 3 heads when you ask for gluten free, and they actually understand what that means.

The only place I have found to eat Sushi that has wheat-free soy sauce is Tokyo Joe's, but I usually bring my own tamari, that is when I could have soy (can't now).

Whole Foods is consistently good, and has lots of options. Watch out for their dishes that contain roux. They don't normally list these as containing wheat.

Wild Oats is hit and miss with their deli. You just have to go see what they have and read the labels.

I didn't know about Trilogy, so I'll be going there next! But I now can't eat corn, soy, and dairy, in addition to gluten, so it's almost impossible for me to eat out these days.

Important info for college students: You can find gluten free beer at Liquor Mart on Canyon (also at Union Jack's in Louisville). They only carry New Grist. Does anyone know where you can find gluten free beer in a restaurant in the Boulder area?

Any one have any restaurant suggestions for Breckenridge and Keystone? I know we'll be up there skiing this winter, and my experience with the restaurants are marginal.

Thanks, Claire

Jax Fish House 928 Pearl Street, Boulder, 303-444-1811

Gluten-Free Menu

I had a bad experience at Jax's a few months ago. After going over my long list of things I can't eat with my waiter, I believe they put these fried potato things on my fish that were cooked in the oil that they also cooked tempura in. I think that the waiter doesn't prepare the food, so the message about all the allergies doesn't get to all the people that are cooking the food. I wasn't offered any kind of gluten-free menu either.

Claire

• 4 years later...
Zocolm Newbie

I am going to be on Vacation next week in Estes Park, Boulder, Denver, Colorado. Can anyone recommend some restaurants that serve Gluten Free food? We are going to try and find Deby's Gluten free cafe in Denver, but most of our time will be spent in Estes Park. Thanks for your help.

We live in Estes Park, and my husband is a celiac. We often eat at Mama Rose's, discuss gluten-free protocol with waitstaff, and have repeatedly spoken to managers there over the past three years. Their gluten-free food is wonderful, and the spaghetti-like zucchini is NOT boiled in the pasta water. Mama Rose's Italian Restaurant created special menu items that are delicious, nutricious and gluten-free; and they are following proper protocol from the kitchen to the table. The person who wrote on this blog that the zucchini is boiled with the pasta is spreading false information. After I read that, I have been interviewing everyone there from the maitre d' to the waitstaff, and EVERYONE I have spoken to there has explained how the zucchini is kept away from the pasta. The restaurant personnel KNOW the proper protocol, and they follow it. Why would a restaurant go through the trouble of creating this special menu for celiacs, lie about it, and serve food that will make their patrons sick? Let's be more responsible about what we report and more appreciative of the restaurants who have chosen to accommodate celiacs.

Jestgar Rising Star

This thread is four years old. It's not unreasonable to assume that a lot of things could have changed in that time.

• 1 year later...
GFestes Newbie

I have Celiac Disease and EXTREMELY sensitive to ANY cross contamination. I now live in Estes Park and I eat regularly at Poppy's and occasionally at Mama Rosa's. (both owned by the same couple). I trust them implicitly.

When I was searching the web for additional Estes Park restaurant possibilities, I came across a posting (from 2006) on your site that called into question the food handling at Mama Rosa's. Yes, the post is 4 years old and hez did not actually eat the zucchini in question. He (or she) was relying on information from the wait staff. Perhaps things have changed in the last four years or perhaps the individual Hez asked did not understand the protocols in place at the time. Both these restaurants are extremely conscientious. You may have to wait for the water to heat -- but you can rest assured clean pans are used to boil gluten free items. They even stop to wash a non-contaminated pan that has been sitting out in the kitchen. I have never had a problem.

In 2009, after reading this review, I avoided Mama Rosa's when in Estes for a family reunion -- and ate a very plain, very expensive meal elsewhere. Luckily, I had forgotten all about that when (about 18 months ago), we discovered these 2 fine restaurants. Otherwise, I would have missed many excellent opportunities to enjoy a meal out with my family.

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

Boulder has many choices, Google works great:

Turley's, Pei Wei and Chipotle are the ez "go-to's" and are all in Boulder.

MindytheOrganist Enthusiast

We were in Estes Park last September/October and Mama Roses had gluten-free pasta for almost every pasta dish. Hubby said it was delicious and had no reaction. Poppy's is located next to Mama Roses and they offer a gluten-free pizze (crust is made from zucchini, I believe). Also deemed delicious. There is also a breakfast bar place (cannot recall the name) that offers gluten-free cereal and soy milk.

We played it pretty safe and rented a cabin so I could cook our breakfasts, and store stuff to make lunches to take into RMNP.

We loved Estes Park - it is one of those places we keep thinking, "Any way we could find a job here?" :)

Archived