3 replies to this topic

#1 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:20 PM

I gave up dairy in July because I thought it was the cause of my eczema problems, and my skin cleared up right away. That didn't last, however, and after just a couple of weeks the eczema started to creep back and eventually became just as bad as it was.

After a while, I realized that soy was the problem. So I cut soy and, again, my skin cleared right up. This time it has lasted.

I mentioned all of this to my doctor (since I've been diagnosed, she has been very interested in learning more about food intolerances and has been attending all kinds of seminars on the subject). She told me that in one of the seminars she recently attended the nutritionist mentioned that dairy and soy can have some kind of cross reaction, so she said that maybe it wasn't dairy after all. That sounded pretty good to me, so last night I tested dairy and have had no ill effects so far.

Has anyone found that after giving up soy they were able to eat dairy again? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:31 PM

From what I've read an allergy to one can lead to an allergy to the other.....at least in infants. Don't know about adults though. If your eczema comes back you have your answer. I personally wouldn't eat it again (but I know I'm allergic, mildly). If you do decide to eat it again, try and keep it minimal. That is sooooooo hard to do for me anyway. I love cheese and butter. :)

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#3 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:53 AM

II mentioned all of this to my doctor (since I've been diagnosed, she has been very interested in learning more about food intolerances and has been attending all kinds of seminars on the subject). She told me that in one of the seminars she recently attended the nutritionist mentioned that dairy and soy can have some kind of cross reaction, so she said that maybe it wasn't dairy after all. That sounded pretty good to me, so last night I tested dairy and have had no ill effects so far.

Has anyone found that after giving up soy they were able to eat dairy again? Or is that just wishful thinking?

That's really interesting about the possible cross reaction between dairy and soy. I used to just have soy, but I added cheese months ago. But the past three weeks I have been having gi troubles and I can't figure out why. So today I am stopping the soy consumption, but I will continue with limited dairy. Hopefully you and I can get some answers. I'm so glad you posted this.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#4 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:51 AM

So far no ill effects from the dairy consumption. That was the night before last. (In case anyone is curious)

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: