Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Baking

4 posts in this topic

Is it ok to use butter when a recipe calls for shortening or margarine. I just like the idea of using a natural product vs the other stuff.

Ads by Google:

Usually the answer is "Yes". Normally when the recipe calls for margerine it is either because it is softer and easier to mix (in which case use room-temperature butter) or because of personal preference (many people believe margerine is healthier, although there is some question about this). Occasionally margerine will really work better, but usually butter will be adequate if not just as good or better.

The only caveat with that rule is that I believe they have different moisture contents, so if you're baking something REALLY finicky, in theory you might have to compensate for the difference. And in some things, it doesn't necessarily work. (For instance, in a pie crust calling for half shortening (not margerine, I know, but related), half butter, substituting all butter makes for a nasty crust! ;-P) But for all practical purposes, they interchange well.