This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help Please (boy I Need A Lot Of It)

STINGER

STINGER Newbie

OK I HAVE WRITTEN BEFORE (IN ANOTHER POSTING) THAT MY FRIEND HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED EARLIER THIS WEEK, SHE IS MY BEST FRIEND AND I HAVE BEEN POURING OVER WEB SITES AND BOOKS AND STUFF (PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING I CAN GET MY HANDS ON) WE WENT TO THE SUPER MARKET TO SEE WHAT THEY HAD SHE WOULD BE ABLE TO EAT, AND I THINK WE ARE GOING TO GO BLIND FROM READING THE TINY LABELS, WE ALSO WENT TO THE HEALTHFOOD STORE, WHERE SHE DID GET A FEW THINGS TO TRY. SHE ORDERED A FEW THINGS ON LINE, AND I PRINTED A BUNCH OF RECEIPES AND MADE HER A COOKBOOK OF HER VERY OWN, SO I CAN MAKE STUFF OUT OF THERE. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANYONE E-MAILING ME ANY GREAT RECIPES THEY HAVE AND ENJOY. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT THE THINGS I CAN DO IN THE KITCHEN TO PREVENT CROSS CONTAMINATING ANYTHING I MAKE FOR HER. ALSO I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT ANYONES SUGGESTIONS OF THINGS WE MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT YET, THOSE LITLE THINGS WE TAKE FOR GRANTED THAT WE MAY USE EVERYDAY WHICH MAY CONTAIN GLUTEN THAT WE DON'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT. :unsure: I WOULD HATE TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR SENDING HER BACK TO THE HOSPITAL ACCIDENTALY.....OH THE GUILT. :huh: I'M SURE SHE WOULD APPRECIATE ANYONE'S FUNNY STORIES ALSO, SHE HAS A GREAT SENSE OF HUMOR AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT HAS KEPT A SUNNY DISPOSITION THROUGH THIS VERY TRYING TIME. :D THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU MAY BE ABLE TO PROVIDE, I CAN'T SAY ENOUGH HOW IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED........CHELE

STINGERKILLS@AOL.COM

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Stinger, first, meat, chicken, fish, eggs, veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, potatoes and rice are all naturally gluten-free as long as you're buying the natural stuff and not pre-packaged stuff. She will probably heal faster sticking to eating these food items.

As she gets used to the diet, she might want to add in a gluten-free replacement of an old favorite. There are many out there available at both health food stores and mainstream groceries.

Watch out for toasters (she needs her own), plastic colandars, scratched non-stick cookware, wooden spoons and crumbs on the counter. If you're willing, it would be easiest for your kitchen at home to be gluten-free, but many have a "mixed" kitchen. It's just harder that way. Oh, if you grill on a charcoal grill, you need natural charcoal, regular is not gluten-free. And be sure anything that was previously on the grill gets burned off. If there are non-gluten-free items being grilled, use different utensils.

AndreaB Contributor

Stinger,

She needs to watch out for personal care products also. Shampoo/Conditioner, soap, toothpaste etc. Also some paper products have gluten in them. I still need to check on the ones I have.

Are there any particular foods that she likes. I am a former vegan and have recipes posted in the recipe section for cashew cheese, almond mayo, ranch dressing, sour cream. If she is dairy free those would help out a lot.

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Stinger:

I just wanted to say that you must be a great friend! :D

Canadian Karen Community Regular
Stinger:

I just wanted to say that you must be a great friend! :D

I was thinking that too Carla! What a wonderful friend! She is very lucky!

jenvan Collaborator

You are a great friend :) Do you have these safe/forbidden ingredient lists to help for shopping? https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12

STINGER Newbie

THANK YOU EVERYONE, THIS IS A MOST HELPFUL SITE, I DID PRINT THE LISTS OF THINGS SHE CAN'T HAVE, AND I TOOK IT TO THE STORE WITH ME. SINCE SHE STARTED THE DIET ON MONDAY, SHE HASN'T HAD TO RUN TO THE BATHROOM RIGHT AFTER SHE ATE, THAT HAD GONE ON FOR THE PAST 17 YEARS. I WAS WONDERING WHY IT TAKES DOCTORS SO LONG TO EVEN CONSIDER GLUTEN TO BE A POSSABLE CULPRIT? WHEN I RAN THE SEARCH ON THE WEB MANY SITES CAME UP, SO IT DOESN'T APPEAR TO BE AN UNHEARD OF THING, ESPECIALLY FOR A GASTRO DOC.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator
THANK YOU EVERYONE, THIS IS A MOST HELPFUL SITE, I DID PRINT THE LISTS OF THINGS SHE CAN'T HAVE, AND I TOOK IT TO THE STORE WITH ME. SINCE SHE STARTED THE DIET ON MONDAY, SHE HASN'T HAD TO RUN TO THE BATHROOM RIGHT AFTER SHE ATE, THAT HAD GONE ON FOR THE PAST 17 YEARS. I WAS WONDERING WHY IT TAKES DOCTORS SO LONG TO EVEN CONSIDER GLUTEN TO BE A POSSABLE CULPRIT? WHEN I RAN THE SEARCH ON THE WEB MANY SITES CAME UP, SO IT DOESN'T APPEAR TO BE AN UNHEARD OF THING, ESPECIALLY FOR A GASTRO DOC.

That's great news for your friend! You mentioned something about recipes....honestly, what I do mostly is take old standby recipes and just convert them. ie. someone here posted about using the original toll house recipe to make gluten-free cookies. I also do that--meaning, take a gluten-free flour mix (don't forget the xanthan gum) and sub it 1 for 1 in old recipes. You can make your own gluten-free mix or buy them premixed to sub directly for gluten-flour. Gluten-free pantry and authentic foods and other brands have these mixes.

STINGER Newbie
That's great news for your friend! You mentioned something about recipes....honestly, what I do mostly is take old standby recipes and just convert them. ie. someone here posted about using the original toll house recipe to make gluten-free cookies. I also do that--meaning, take a gluten-free flour mix (don't forget the xanthan gum) and sub it 1 for 1 in old recipes. You can make your own gluten-free mix or buy them premixed to sub directly for gluten-flour. Gluten-free pantry and authentic foods and other brands have these mixes.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I'M SURE WE WILL GET USED TO THIS EVENTUALLY, IT WILL JUST TAKE SOME TIME. I WAS WONDERING WHEN BAKING IF THINGS RISE LIKE THEY DO WITH REGULAR FLOUR, BECAUSE SHE BOUGHT A PANCAKE MIX AND THEY DIDN'T SEEM AS FLUFFY AS THE REGULAR ONES.

jenvan Collaborator
THANK YOU SO MUCH, I'M SURE WE WILL GET USED TO THIS EVENTUALLY, IT WILL JUST TAKE SOME TIME. I WAS WONDERING WHEN BAKING IF THINGS RISE LIKE THEY DO WITH REGULAR FLOUR, BECAUSE SHE BOUGHT A PANCAKE MIX AND THEY DIDN'T SEEM AS FLUFFY AS THE REGULAR ONES.

You will notice a difference in many of the products and most of the breads, cakes aren't as fluffy or light. You will have to experiement and try different ones to see what you like best. There are some really good mixes and recipes out there, so tell your friend to be patient and she will find some she will enjoy.

taz sharratt Enthusiast

:D:D

sorry jenvan i havent read the replys on this but had to reply to you, you have changed your photo and its nice to see you properly. dont worry im a girl youve given some good advice that i thought it would be nice to see yoy and say something. :D:D

jenvan Collaborator
:D:D

sorry jenvan i havent read the replys on this but had to reply to you, you have changed your photo and its nice to see you properly. dont worry im a girl youve given some good advice that i thought it would be nice to see yoy and say something. :D:D

Thanks Taz--that is very sweet of you! :) Think you'll ever brave putting up a picture? It is fun to put faces to all the names...

CarlaB Enthusiast
Thanks Taz--that is very sweet of you! :) Think you'll ever brave putting up a picture? It is fun to put faces to all the names...

Yea, Taz, I agree, I'd like to see a picture, too!!

tiffjake Enthusiast

Stinger! Nice to meet ya! Watch out for condiments! Like Soy sause (and teryaki sause) because they have WHEAT in them many times. I learned that the hard way! La Choy is a gluten-free soy sauce! Other than that, sounds like you are doing great, and I second what everyone else mentioned! You ARE a great friend!!!!

debmidge Rising Star

That's the $20 million question. Many have ran that same question thru their minds and no one really knows for sure why this happens. Hopefully it's changing now.

STINGER Newbie

THANK YOU ALL, I APPRECIATE ALL OF THE NICE COMMENTS, AND ALL OF YOUR HELP. I'M JUST PARANOID ABOUT ACCIDENTALLY POISONING HER. AND GEE WE NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT HAVING HER OWN TOASTER AND STUFF LIKE THAT, WE MADE A SPECIAL TRIP TO GET HER OWN KITCHEN IMPLIMENTS, AND BATH PRODUCTS. SHE WAS NONE TOO HAPPY ABOUT THE MAKEUP, AND SHE ISN'T REAL HAPPY ABOUT THE CHANGING LIPSTICK COLORS, SHE HAS GOTTEN PRETTY ATTACHED TO CERTAIN THINGS. BUT WE MADE A JOKE ABOUT IT AND MOVED ON.

i canary Rookie
THANK YOU ALL, I APPRECIATE ALL OF THE NICE COMMENTS, AND ALL OF YOUR HELP. I'M JUST PARANOID ABOUT ACCIDENTALLY POISONING HER. AND GEE WE NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT HAVING HER OWN TOASTER AND STUFF LIKE THAT, WE MADE A SPECIAL TRIP TO GET HER OWN KITCHEN IMPLIMENTS, AND BATH PRODUCTS. SHE WAS NONE TOO HAPPY ABOUT THE MAKEUP, AND SHE ISN'T REAL HAPPY ABOUT THE CHANGING LIPSTICK COLORS, SHE HAS GOTTEN PRETTY ATTACHED TO CERTAIN THINGS. BUT WE MADE A JOKE ABOUT IT AND MOVED ON.

Another thing to watch - her medication. Some prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs have gluten. A good website to check out is www.glutenfreedrugs.com.

Joking is good. If your friend is anything like me - humor helps a lot.

amybeth Enthusiast

Cross contamination -- grrrrrrr.

I live about 20 min. from my folks, so I stop by often. They keep a separate gluten-free butter, peanut butter, and mayo at the house, so I can use them if I need to. That way, there's no crumbs leftover to "get" me!

Tinkyada Rice Pasta is the best I've tried and kinnikinnick sandwich bread is great. If you live near a Whole Foods grocery, they have a freezer for gluten-free bakery items that are prepared in a gluten-free facility. They also carry many gluten-free items. Wegmans Markets has a significant natural foods section and also they will clearly label - with an orange circle and "G" any Wegman's Brand items that are gluten-free. They also carry a lot in their international foods aisle! Trader Joe's also has a pretty significant list of gluten-free items.

Good luck!

Archived