21 replies to this topic

#1 MichelleC

MichelleC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 08:01 AM

Ate my best gluten-free meal ever at PF Chang's in Downtown Chicago last weekend. BUT...about 1/2 hour into the meal, I felt the familiar stomach pains. And, I haven't had any like that since about 2 weeks after I went gluten-free. I've felt SO good! I asked the waiter about everything and he told me all of the ingredients. It all sounded fine. All I can guess is that someone screwed up or could it have been the brewed Passion Fruit iced tea? Maybe I'm the one that screwed up.

Anyhow, it hurt a lot. Hurt my girlfriend as much as it hurt me. She hated to see me in pain. But, I sucked it up and we still made it to the fireworks at Navy Pier that night. Couldn't let it stop me from enjoying my time with her...it's so limited. :-(

I'm willing to try PF's again...am I crazy, though?

Thanks!

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 terri

terri

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 08:07 AM

I'd put my money on the tea! They're really careful but there is always a risk of cross contamination. Try again and order a coke and see what happens. Good luck!
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#3 hsd1203

hsd1203

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 03:43 PM

a couple of ideas,

one could be the tea (watch out for starbuck's tazo teas, too, as most of them are "contaminated" according to their company)

two, one time I ate at PF Changs I did get a stray noodle in my non-noodle dish. Could've been a wheat noodle, could've been a rice noodle, I don't know... but I do know I got sick (see #3). The company says that they have guidelines to prevent cross-contamination, but I have to say this made me a little wary.

three, I thought that I was getting cross-contaminated too for a while until i figured out that I am sensitive to soy as well and that for me it is VERY similar to my gluten reaction.

best wishes on figuring this one out and staying healthy

#4 EddieJP125

EddieJP125

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 06:15 AM

i'm over here in new york, and at the PF changs i went too it was alright...maybe u should move out here... :D

#5 Guest_Lindam_*

Guest_Lindam_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2004 - 10:06 AM

I haven't had any Chinese food since going gluten free since March. I am sorry to hear that you had a bad reaction at PF's. I am so looking forward to this meal. I hope I have better luck. ;)

#6 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 10:42 AM

I hope you do too! I had the Chang's Lemon Scallops and they were great! I also tasted the Chang's Spicy Chicken and that was wonderful too! Just don't get the flavored tea and be sure to tell them you're a Celiac. I can't wait to go back!
:P
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#7 bigapplekathleen

bigapplekathleen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:43 PM

I ate at PF Chang's for the VERY FIRST TIME this week, after one year on a gluten-free diet. The food was delicious and I didn't get sick. (I get sick from the slightest amount of gluten.) I was thrilled. I will continue to go back for more and more...

Kathleen

#8 Thomas

Thomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 05:02 PM

Hopefully this was a rare mistake

#9 Karina

Karina

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 04:35 AM

I got sick the first time I ate at PF Changs. I decided to try again, and you will not believe what happened. My husband ordered off of the gluten-free menu so we could share and I got the spicy chicken, well his came out and I knew the noodles were wheat noodles! I asked about it and the guy took it back into the chef and came back out and said, "It is fine, the sauce is the thing that needs to be gluten-free, the noodles are already gluten-free", so I was still skeptical so my hubby checked the menu and got the manager and sure enough, those were wheat noodles!!!! I had almost tasted them.
Just goes to show y ou how careful you have to be!
KARINA

#10 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 05:29 PM

I ate at PF Chang's today in Scottsdale, AZ and it was great! the lemon butter chicken is awesome.
The manager of the store is a celiac. The waitress said she has "whipped the chefs into shape" and that they never have cross contamination problems because of her.
Needless to say, I'm grateful!

#11 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:41 PM

FYI,

Be cautious about ordering "pasta" in a restaurant.

I was a waiter for 8 years.

The cooks use the same water for all of the pastas (they just keep it boiling and add to it if it evaporates off during the night.

Hence, if you order pasta, make sure they use a clean pot and water!!!

For what its worth, I have gotten sick from the "Chang's Chicken" -- but their scallop dishes and beef dishes that are gluten-free were ok.

FYI, you can get the lettuce wraps and calamri gluten-free if you ask (make sure you talk to a manager/chef!!)

#12 hapi2bgf

hapi2bgf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:22 AM

You might find it helpful to call and speak to a manger about the fact that you did get sick at PF Chang's. They are always helpful and are very allergy knowledgable. I am guessing the management would like to know so they can give the staff a reminder about the allergy and the PF Chang reputation.

I've eaten there many times as the Celiac and a peanut allergy at the table and they are always extremely helpful and the food is a welcome treat.

Good luck on your next visit

#13 Mitch Peipert

Mitch Peipert

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:33 PM

This is one of my favorite restaurants. I have been to the ones in Az and Las Vegas and have never had a bad experience.

Mitch Peipert

#14 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 08:29 PM

I am so disappointed in PF Chang's this week! As per my last post, I was thrilled to find the Chang's in Scottsdale has a celiac manager. My first experience there was great.
This Tuesday I went again and haven't felt well since. I ate the leftovers just to check and sure enough, I had a stomach ache all night. I didn't eat anything else all week that wasnt' gluten free, for sure.
Oh well...just when I thought it was safe.
The problem is, you can never guarantee a good waiter/chef/kitchen staff. Friday night's staff might be great but the Tuesday shift can suck, know what I mean? There's just such a high risk no matter how careful they are. It really made my confidence go down a notch.

#15 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2005 - 03:18 AM

The bottom line is, eating out, no matter where it may be, is like unprotected sex: no matter how good it looks, you can't ever be sure what you're gonna get!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: