This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vitamin Deficiencies

Guest adamssa

Guest adamssa

Hi Everyone,

Do any of you guys also have this problem? I recently realized that I've been having lots of problems lately probably because I stopped taking a vitamin b supplement, and now that I am again already am improving a little. I thought I knew about everything else I had to be on the look out for! But I was really feeling pretty bad again, and it will take some time to build that up again I think. I see a holistic person, and they told me I didn't need to take one. It's as if you always have to figure everything out on your own, you can never count on any sort of health practitioner to be more helpful than not.

I am just kind of bummed that it is so easy for just one thing to throw you off so much! I've been having bad brain fog and trouble eating anything that wasn't gluten-free tuna out of a can. It's like you can never have all your bases covered...

Just kind of wanted to complain about that, I guess...

Also, do you guys think a b vitamin complex and niacin is enough, or are celiacs more inclined to be definicent in other specific b vitamins?

Sara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

The deficiencies will vary from person to person, but it seems all of us need to get more of something or other in order to keep from having even more problems. That's the nature of a compromised gut. I doubt anyone can tell you which nutrients you lack without a ton of tests, and even then I doubt it would be entirely accurate. Your doctor shouldn't say it like it's for certain that you don't need any supplements, but given ideal circumstances our food would supply everything. Real life doesn't always work the way it's supposed to :rolleyes:

Many on this board find it helpful to get extra magnesium, since it's very important for the absorption of other nutrients. So just getting that can help other deficiencies.

cathzozo Apprentice

I recently picked up The Real Vitamin and Mineral Book by Shari Lieberman. It's an awesome book. She supports more supplementation than the average American takes. I think she does a great job explaining her scientific rationale and citing studies, as well as emphasizing that you will find your own optimum supplementation program.

One thing that is mentioned in the book is that many celiacs are low on B-12. And for B-12, the best way to get it is through shots or sublingual. I do sublingual because I don't want any more shots than I have to. Regular oral supplements don't usually get absorbed for B-12.

Good luck!

rinne Apprentice

My Vitamin B 12 is at 226 and I've been told I need injections, do you know what your levels are at?

Guest adamssa

so taking B12 in pill form isn't going to be all that effective.? too bad. I really don't want injections.

RiceGuy Collaborator
so taking B12 in pill form isn't going to be all that effective.? too bad. I really don't want injections.

You don't need to get injections. Just go for the sublingual type of B12. That's the kind which you place under the tongue. It comes in either liquid or pill form, and is supposed to be a good replacement for the shots. Apparently the type of B12 in those can go directly into the bloodstream, bypassing the need for the stomach and liver to do their stuff in order to make use of it.

annacsmom Apprentice

My daughter was recently diagnosed (18 yrs old), and one of her defining symptoms was anemia. Her naturopath put her on a good iron supplement, but told her to go off it in a month. She's away at college, and I think the ND was afraid of too much iron. Well, my daughter was off it for two weeks, and although she doesn't feel well in general, she started feeling pretty badly. I told her to continue the iron again. Obviously her anemia can't even be close to being resolved, so I didn't think we should worry about overdosing on iron just yet. Plus her hair loss was getting very bad again, which can be related to low iron. So my advice is to absolutely go by how you feel. I did eventually tell the ND that I have her back on the iron again. As a parent, who has done more research than most doctors, I have found that being bold isn't a bad thing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Been taking B12 sublingually for weeks now...no difference at all in mind/energy level/well-being...how long is it supposed to take - anyone know?

Guest adamssa

as far as any b vitamin goes, it can help right away or take a few weeks to help as much as it will. you should the subtler affects sooner. but it can't hurt, so i wouldn't stop.

Michi8 Contributor
as far as any b vitamin goes, it can help right away or take a few weeks to help as much as it will. you should the subtler affects sooner. but it can't hurt, so i wouldn't stop.

I pray that B12 is never a definciency for me...since I'm allergic to cobalt, I can not take any type of B12 supplement. I haven't been able to find any info on treating B12 definciency in this regard. I assume that it would need to be treated with diet alone.

Michelle

georgie Enthusiast

Susan,

Been taking B12 sublingually for weeks now...no difference at all in mind/energy level/well-being...how long is it supposed to take - anyone know?

Some people notice no difference with sublinguals and needs injections. How low was your B12 ? Correct loading dose varies but is intensive - weekly or daily jabs for weeks - followed by monthly jabs for life. The sublinguals may work once you level is a bit higher.

Methylcobalamin 3000mcg is the best type.

Michelle,

Is there cobalt in the jabs ?

Diet won't work ! The old fashioned remedy for Pernicious Anaemia was to eat 500g of RAW liver a day !!!!!!!!!!

I pray that B12 is never a definciency for me...since I'm allergic to cobalt, I can not take any type of B12 supplement. I haven't been able to find any info on treating B12 definciency in this regard. I assume that it would need to be treated with diet alone.

Mine was 148 this year when dx. <300 is bad and b12 number should be 800 - 1000 !

I have had 12 weeks of weekly jabs, and soon will have monthly jabs. I am also taking sublngual lozenges. Still tired as I have Thyroid as well and take Armour for that - and that can take months to get right dose.

My Vitamin B 12 is at 226 and I've been told I need injections, do you know what your levels are at?

Archived